SASS Wire Forum

How can I make my Stoeger 12 ga girlfriend friendly?

Jgbeerman

Evening Yall-

So the girlfriend of 3.5 years has finally moved in and I am slowly getting her into this fine sport! The revolvers and rifle are not an issue for her however she shot the Stoeger 12 gauge once and then did not fire it again. She has gone bird hunting with a 20 gauge over under and was fine with that. Do to financial reasons getting her her own gun is not an option at the time being. I was looking for some tips to make the gun more friendly for her to use (less kick). The more she enjoys the sport the more events I can attend!

I have heard some people suggest the limbsaver pad and the use of feather light loads. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Any specific loads or shells to stay away from?

As always, any information is greatly appreciated.

You need to reload shot shells.Load them down so the recoil is not bad. A S X S kicks more because they are lighter.Even with the win. low noise and low recoil they still kick.My grandson shot my Baikal S X S today with my loads and it was ok with him, he is a small 9. He likes his baikal 410 better with light loads.

Here is a collection of ideas from the wire and elsewhere:

Reduce Shotgun Recoil

Shotgun Hints

GOOD ADVICE..... try her with a couple boxes of AGULIA MINI SHELLS ;)

I have a Limbsaver recoil pad on mine. It required me to shorten the stock by the thickness of the pad but I can shoot 8 rounds of trap (200 shots)with 3 dram- 1 1/8 ounce shells with NO discomfort...

This is going to sound strange.

Try shooting the shotgun without shouldering it. You will go through a ton of shells before you figure it out.

I used to go through 2 boxes in a regular 6 stage match. The last few matches I have had only one SG miss.

I actually shoot faster because I can control the shells easier.

I shoot a 97 as my main shotgun but I have a TTN double as a backup.

It's a lot easier on the shoulder and it's cool to do.

Try it. You and she might like it.

Waimea (tryin' to think outside the box for ya)

First, you really can't share a shotgun successfully. A shotgun has to be cut to fit her or it will hurt no matter what you feed it. Cut to fit with a recoil pad, maybe a mercury tube and the lightest loads you can buy or reload.

Good luck

Coffinmaker

As the posters before said, make sure the gun fits her....that's first. Also, make sure the toe of the stock is not sticking into her shoulder...that hurts!! It needs to be cut at the proper angle. Proper stance will also help. Then SASS has approved a recoil reduction device - the Old West-Buster - that takes almost ALL of the recoil out of the shotgun. I have one on my 12 ga. BSS and I can shoot any load...don't haveta find or reload anything special. It keeps your muzzle from rising after the first shot, so you can take that second shot faster...not that anyone has ever accused me of being a gamer! :lol: But, I used to have bruises after shooting a box of shells and I don't have any "reminders" of shooting now. PM Gunstock Smith or Goatneck Clem...they also shoot with an Old West-Buster on their SxS's.

7/8 oz. of #7.5 (or whatever shot you like), grey AA wad over ~10.5 grains Red Dot in AA hull w/ Win 209 primer...

You won't even know that it went off but it will be just right for her! These are what I am teaching my 7 year old to shoot with and THEY WORK!

BTW, they actually knock down the targets too!

I defy anyone to find a .410 load that feels like this...it's almost cheating! ;)

HW

Cut the stock to fit HER. Not you.

Very good recoil pad.

Recoil reducer in the stock.

Low Noise Low Recoil SG shells.

Make sure she is holding it properly, and has the proper stance.

Instead of the gun for you, and her making do somehow.

Sit gun up for HER, and you make do with it how it is after that.

Then later get one for you.

you can also buy a pad that attaches to her bra strap under her top and add a mercury tube. stay away from the field loads. best of luck.

CC

Fer those not knowing.. the mercury tube does not attach to her bra strap.. :lol::lol::lol:

Get ya a box of AA Low Noise/Low recoil Featherlites

If yer gonna share a shotgun... and you want her to shoot with you..

Ya better make the shotgun fit her... and let yerself suffer the consequenses

Rance <_<

Howdy,

Good advise above.

One other thing, tell her to try holding that shotgun TIGHT so it

doesnt git no running start to hit her shoulder.

Coyote Cap set up my stoger and everbody who tried it thought it was great.

Now if I could just convince my poor ol beatup back I would be in hog heaven....

Cap will hep ya if he can.

Best

CR

Due to my dad letting me shoot a old tyme double with full 00 buck and pulling both triggers and knockin me over into the canal...I wasn't fond of shotguns.

I shoot a 20" Liberty 11. I started with Winchester featherlites and when I couldn't find them on a regular basis got a LeeLoadAll and started to load my own clone of the fl. And have never looked back.

with a load like the fl or my clone, you don't need any pad on the shotgun. they are mild and still knock down what you want to and even hit the occasional flying target..

good shootin

curley

If ya teach her HOW to shoot a shotgun, there won't be a problem. Have seen nearly every woman shooter that starts off shooting a shotgun go about it all wrong. THey need to hold it tight, as has been mentioned, and not to hold it all day to shoot it. Just shoulder the gun and pull the trigger without anticipating the recoil. Make sure she is not standing with her upper body leaning back, so the recoil will knock her on over. For some reason, women will do ths most every time till they learn the right way to do it. Lean INTO the gun, not away from it. Light loads will help also.

If ya teach her HOW to shoot a shotgun, there won't be a problem. Have seen nearly every woman shooter that starts off shooting a shotgun go about it all wrong. THey need to hold it tight, as has been mentioned, and not to hold it all day to shoot it. Just shoulder the gun and pull the trigger without anticipating the recoil. Make sure she is not standing with her upper body leaning back, so the recoil will knock her on over. For some reason, women will do ths most every time till they learn the right way to do it. Lean INTO the gun, not away from it. Light loads will help also.

+1 :)

Have the forcing cones lengthened. It takes the sharpness out of the recoil. That and light loads mentioned above should have you good to go. Also once again, the stock must be fitted to her.

Cope

What Anvil Al said. Fit the stock to HER! Even a bit shorter. I much prefer a shorter stock on my shotguns for this game.

+1

It is a lot easier for you to adjust to a shorter stock than for her to adjust to a stock that is too long. As an added benefit, you will probably find the shorter stock to be faster handling for you also. When you cut it, change the angle slightly to lessen the toe. Since we shoot targets that are on the ground, the toe tends to dig into ones shoulder which is especially uncomfortable for woman. I just cut it at a 90 degree angle to the comb for ease- the angle works well. Install a recoil pad like a Pacmyer Decelerator or similar. Buy Winchester Featherlites or similar. With these changes, your girlfriend shouldn't have any issues as long as she is shouldering it correctly.

Another thing to try--have her stand with the left foot forward about a half step. so she is standing slightly sideways, and lean toward the target. then the butt of the shotgun is more lateral and not pressing on the upper part of the chest anatomy. She needs to pull the gun in tight then touch it off. I bet it will feel better.

Proper fit the most important place to start.....and finish it all up by painting it PINK :lol: They sell lots of guns painted pink for the "genteler" sex, why not her shotgun too ;):P

Tell her not to be ladylike with her long guns, and position them where her bra strap would be.

Tell her not to be ladylike with her long guns, and position them where her bra strap would be.

There ya go.... good advice from a fellow lady...

A lady can easily tell another lady how to do it.. and most will listen..

Most guys... they don't listen to :blush: ...

Rance <_<

Just my thinkin'

Can't say enough for those featherlites or homemade ones. I am a very large woman but if I shoot two regular shotgun loads I will then hand you the shotgun and say that's enough for me. However, I can easily handle 30 or more featherlites in one practice.

Make sure she is holding it properly, and has the proper stance.

Another thing to try--have her stand with the left foot forward about a half step. so she is standing slightly sideways, and lean toward the target. then the butt of the shotgun is more lateral and not pressing on the upper part of the chest anatomy. She needs to pull the gun in tight then touch it off. I bet it will feel better.

+1

First time I saw myself shootin' on video, I noticed I was back on my heels with both rifle & shotgun. None of the fast competitors shoot that way; they all lean into the shot. Step toward the target with your off foot [left foot if you're right-handed]. Not only does this direct the recoil down your right leg, it makes you a more stable platform for your firearm, so you get on target quicker & hold aim better.

Archived