SASS Wire Forum

Inside Waist Band Holster

USBP_1969

Howdy,

I am looking for a holster that will allow me to carry a 6 1/2" Ruger Single Six inside the waist band for concealed carry. I have been searching the Defensive Carry Holster links at: http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-riglinks.php, but so far without success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

-kent

Howdy,

I am looking for a holster that will allow me to carry a 6 1/2" Ruger Single Six inside the waist band for concealed carry. I have been searching the Defensive Carry Holster links at: http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-riglinks.php, but so far without success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

-kent

Try Kholster also, I've got a couple of them, one for my S&W 38 and one for my Colt Defender similar to Crossbreed, but less $$$.

http://www.kholster.com/

Hi Kent,

I cannot add anything, except this. You will have to have a custom made IWB Holster for your single six. There seems to be no market for single action pistols. I know of several leather holster rigs/setups down here in the Houston area, that could probably make some kind of custom fitted IWB. It may or maynot be someone costly. Send me a PM and and can seen you the info.

Cheers,

Oklahoma Dee

I know this is not your original question, and I apologize for drifting off subject a bit, BUT: For IWB carry, IMO, the single six would be a poor choice.First of fall, too big and awkward with not much stopping power for personal defense, and secondly too big a wheel gun for IWB carry.For IWB carry, a slab sided semi auto pistol, from a small frame .380 or 9mm or compact 1911 with 3.5"-4" barrel will serve you best.One of the new small frame 9mm's that are about same size as a Ruger LCP except more power in a 9MM vs a 380 is a better choice.

If you must carry an IWB wheel gun, the S&W 36, Colt Detective Special, or other small 5 shot 38 spl 'snubbie' would be a much better choice than a Single Six!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,

SS

I will add to the pile-on, a poor choice all the way around. Any good holster maker can easily do you one BUT there is a reason no one can link you to a picture of such an animal, its just a poor choice. If you are willing to over look every other reason already listed, you still have to much barrel for the high ride carry style that IS required in an IWB holster. If you decide to go forward with this, my hints are , think Tightrope style IWB holster to allow for the long draw stroke length of pull required. This is somewhat similar to a Wild Bill draw with the holster worn inside and well to the rear, grip forward for a reverse draw. For some custom holster makers who might be interested in a one-off design http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html and one who frequents the WIRE and has impressed me with his inventiveness is http://www.loneriderleather.com/ .

I carry a 5" Colt 1911 IWB and the barrel rests against whatever I'm sitting on. I'm thinking a 6 1/2" barrel pistol IWB would be very uncomfortable and would not stay in place. There are much better choices out there but if the Single Six is what you have you might look into a high ride belt holster.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

Thought I'd linked this post to my email. Guess not. Came back and there were a number of replies.

Thanks for the holster links.

Couple of thoughts. First, I have but two choices at this time due to an injury to my right (gun) hand.

1) Switch all shooting to left hand. (I'm working on it, but after a million+ rounds right handed my optimism is lessening each day.

2) Stick with the right hand with a light caliber.

Regarding barrel length:

1) A reverse draw (butt forward) can be quite quick and safe when worn IWB and allows one to draw a handgun with a much longer barrel than with a straight draw holster worn in the same position.

2) When worn in a reverse draw position with a belt loop that will allows the holster to swivel, an IWB holster can accommodate quite a long barrel.

3) With a .22WRM, the longer the barrel the better and I'll need all the help I can get.

I carry under Title 18 USC 926 while at home and away from home and I am carrying a Model-36 as I write this. I have a left handed holster on order and maybe that'll help.

BTW - If I go the .22WRM route and a Ruger, I'll be using a "New York" reload. ;)

-kent

If you stick with the Single Six, I highly recommend the Mernickle PS6 which can be worn high ride strong side or cross draw which would be my recommendation for carry position with a long barrel 6gun. No, it's not an IWB but a long SS is not really suited to IWB carry anyway.

Another option if you like the 22 mag is the kel tec semi auto if you can find one. Hottest gun in America right now with the possible exception of the Ruger 1911. 30 rounds of 22 mag on hand. Wouldn't need a NY reload or spare mag.

Roger that.

Been keeping an eye on the Kel-Tec, but after years of running qualification courses and seeing the difference in reliability, I will be sticking with a wheel gun.

Yes sir, the PS6SA is the very best IMO of any high ride outside the waist band holster. It can even be ordered for a 2 1/4" duty belt with two belt slots.

If I went with the 5.5" Single Six it would be easy, since whatever I carry now that I am retired is carried in a Wilderness Tactical "SafePacker" and they have a model that can handle up to a 5.5" 1873 SAA.

I'll be stopping by the local guns shop / range after I pick my grand daughter up from college this afternoon and (hopefully) will be able to shoot a .22 Magnum 6.5" three screw Single Six they had in the case to see if I can handle the recoil with my right (injured) hand. I had presumed I could, but have realized that I need to check.

If there is a problem, I'll have to scrap the right hand shooting project and then shoot left handed. :(

It will mean, however, that I can go with a shorter barrel and a larger caliber. (Probably .45 Colt)

Thanks again,

-kent

I was able to shoot on Wednesday for a few minutes. I wanted to check POA (Point of Aim) Vs POI (Point of Impact) at 25 yards with the S&W 442's wihle firing left handed. Two things became immediately apparent:

1) The recoil of 135 grain Gold Dot in my left hand seemed quite vicious. (I had forgotten about there being Arthritis in the left hand.)

2) The POI was about 10" low right of the POA. I checked it with a Model-36 (1970 vintage) and had the same result. The shots broke clean despite the perceived recoil. As I type this (Friday night) my left had is still sore. When shooting right handed before the injury the POI was 3" left of POA at 25 yards.

I then shot a three screw Ruger Single Six and it was a blast. (No pun). Accuracy at 25 yards was about 6", which is poor, but it might have been because the SS was 30+ years old and had seen much use. One handed point shooting (right hand) at 7 yards was quite good. The 6.5" Single Six just seemed to point itself.

I also tried the 6.5" Single Six seated with the weapon worn IWB and had about 1" seat clearance. So, looks like all roads lead to the 6.5" Single Six (fixed sight) in .22 Magnum, especially since I have found three lather craftsman who have agreed to make an IWB holster for this weapon.

Once it arrives and I get an idea of where it prints at 25 yards with 40 grain Full metal Jacketed .22 Magnum, I'll sent it off to Outlaw Grips for work on the sights, action and grips.

Thanks again.

-kent

Sorry but I get the feeling here that we have picked the gun and are now just painting a picture around it, and this is fine but why would you look for our validation? It is a fact that any one of us would probably pick something else as our choice under almost any circumstances you will come up with. Throw a Ruger .22 SS and a large knife between me and my assailant and I will go for the SS but God that would be one terrifying choice for me, knowing that a .22 SA revolver stood between me and a bad dude with a big knife. I am a firm believer in the concept that every time the bullet size increases, my chance of survival rises. Sorry, perhaps my hands have not deteriorated to the point yet, but I can not imagine ever choosing a Ruger SS .22 over a small DA 32 revolver, even if it were loaded down considerably.

Don't think your going to enjoy driving around with a 6 1/2 inch

barrel IWB! Sitting and bending will also be difficult.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

QDG

If I had to rely on a 22 lr or mag revolver it sure wouldn't be any flavor of single six. The Taurus ulta-light snubbies will way MUCH less and hold more rounds and have a 2 inch barrel. Even the shortest 4 and 5/8 single six would be less comfortable for IWB carry. JMNSHO.

If you can handle the recoil of a .32, consider obtaining a Single Six in that caliber. Barrel length is ~4" which better fits the IWB carry mode.

The .32 Single Six is no longer manufactured, but they are frequently found available for sale at gun shows and the occasional shop. They are very popular in SASS matches for people with small hands, Arthritis, or joint injuries. The gun is chambered for .32 H&R Magnum, but can also use the other lighter/shorter .32 rimmed cartridges. Ammo availability is rather sketchy, so stock up when you find it. It also tends to run ~$18 for 20 rounds, so it is not cheap.

You could also have a gunsmith reduce the barrel of your .22 Single Six to the length of the ejector rod housing, and attach a new sight. If you can find a birdshead grip frame that fits, even better.

For those who scoff at a .22 Magnum as a carry gun, it certainly will make a life threatening hole in flesh. Most defensive handgun situations end upon presentation. Any goblin deterred by a presented gun is unlikely to decide to run, or not, based on caliber. Arguably, the larger revolver may make a more effective visual deterrent than a little auto pistol. The Single Six is also a far better club, if it comes down to that. Neither .22 mag or .380 is my first choice for a defensive caliber. But I would not hesitate to use either one if I was limited to light caliber weapons for some reason.

But if you do wind up shooting that .22 to save your hide, make sure you hit, hit well, and hit often.

Unless you're Shaquille O'Neal I don't see how a barrel that long is going to be practical or comfortable in an iwb holster. My 5" 1911 is the absolute maximum for me.

Archived