SASS Wire Forum

Getting ready to order a couple of books. One of them is an addition to the Flashman series

by George MadDonald Fraser. I finished the book FLASHMAN and now am ready to move on.

Any suggestions?

:lol:

OK Hal, watching you in your B Western attire and you stunning gun work on the line, I would say

you qualify as a Flashy Man, but this is a bit different. I am looking for Flashman. The cad.

:lol:

I wonder what became of Sir Harry. He once had the longest alias in SASS.

He's still around, I see him on Facebook all the time. Mostly doing reenactments stuff. Brett Cullpepper. You want me to tell him HI from you all. Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=52606982361&set=t.607917361&type=1

Big Jake

Any of the Flashman books are well worth reading. But, seeing as we're an Old West fantasy organization, go with Flashman And The Redskins. There's the gold rush, Wild Bill Hickock,Geronimo and other Apaches, all culminating, of course, with Custer and the Little Big Horn.

Throw in Kit Carson and Crazy Horse and the usual women Sir Harry meets along the way and it's a welcome addition to the Flashman saga.

There's some talk about in which order to read the Flashman Papers in.

I wrote them to be read in order of publication, It's a little more tricky to do, but yearly progression is much more fun to read my Memoirs in.

Ahhh, yes Colonel sir, er, your sirship, ah being a colonial I am not quite certain how to address

a man of military rank and social rank. Would it be permissible to address you as Col. Flash?

Kinda cuts right to the chase, don't it?

Well, Flash, I guess I could order the whole set and just get to reading. What?

You're not the first to be confused, Colonial or not, Badger.

Sir Harry or Colonel Flashman, either are quite acceptable.

Purchasing the whole set would rather please the Family Retainer.

Ahhh, yes Colonel sir, er, your sirship, ah being a colonial I am not quite certain how to address

a man of military rank and social rank. Would it be permissible to address you as Col. Flash?

Kinda cuts right to the chase, don't it?

Well, Flash, I guess I could order the whole set and just get to reading. What?

Still do the last I heard, as they put a stop to the attempts old & new members alike to remove the title bestowed by Wild Buncher, R.J. Poteet.

I wonder what became of Sir Harry. He once had the longest alias in SASS.

Well, Sir Harry Colonel Flashman, is there a protocol on purchasing these documents and can I use

USDs, deflatated as they might be, to purchase them? Or coin of the realm required, in sterling pounds? I would not want to run amok of the social graces of the Queen's Court.

Never heard of him....guess I'll hafta check it out, Thanks!

Interesting character, Rye. Utah Bob put me on to him last year. I read the first one. One of those

books that I could not put down. That alone makes it pretty rare. As Colonel Harry Sir Flashman pointed out earlier, they are in a chronological order. Recommended reading in sequence.

Although not in the order of publication, following are titles, area covered, and time period. Be sure to read footnotes as the occur as it verifies Flashman's account, although for some inexplicable reason Flashman himself is rarely mentioned.

Flashman Britain, India and Afghanistan 1839-42

Royal Flash England/Germany 1842-43/1847-48

Flashman's Lady England, Borneo and Madagascar 1842-45

Flashman and the Mountain of Light India Punjab 1845-46

Flash for Freedom England, West Africa and U.S.A. 1848-49

Flashman and the Redskins U.S.A. 1849-50/1875-76

Flashman at the Charge England, Crimea and Central Asia 1854-55

Flashman in the Great Game Scotland, India 1856-58

Flashman and the Angel of the Lord India, South Africa and U.S.A. 1858-59

Flashman and the Dragon China 1860

Enjoy. Not only are these books great reading, they give quite an insight into history, as Fraser does some impressive research for these books, as evidenced by the footnotes.

Amazon & U.S.D. are your best bet.

Well, Sir Harry Colonel Flashman, is there a protocol on purchasing these documents and can I use

USDs, deflatated as they might be, to purchase them? Or coin of the realm required, in sterling pounds? I would not want to run amok of the social graces of the Queen's Court.

Glad to see Y'all here, Rod.

I've not received any messages from you in over a year.

Yeah, what Rowdy said.

Glad to hear from you after so long. Thought you'd been shipped off to Inja or some such place.

Getting ready to order a couple of books. One of them is an addition to the Flashman series

by George MadDonald Fraser. I finished the book FLASHMAN and now am ready to move on.

Any suggestions?

As pointed out Chronological is the more fun way to go.

But a few of the Memoirs were left out, as well as the the origins & where there are Cameos.

Black Ajax: late 18th-early 19th C. Capt. Buckly "Mad Buck" Flashman intro's Tom Molineaux, a black prizefighter, just arrived in England from America to the Prince Reagent & the Sporting Set.

Tom Brown's Schooldays late 1830's Rugby school days Semi Biographical by Thomas Hughes (1822–1896).

Flashman: 1839-1842. the First Anglo-Afghan War.

Flashman's Lady: 1843-1845. Borneo, Madagascar.

Flashman and the Mountain of Light: 1845-46. The First Anglo-Sikh War.

Royal Flash: 1847-1848. the Revolutions of 1848.

Flash for Freedom!: 1848-1849. The Atlantic slave trade; the Underground Railroad.

Flashman and the Redskins Part I: 1849-1850, The Wild West: the Forty-Niners,

Flashman at the Charge: 1854-1855. The Crimean War; the Charge of the Light Brigade.

Flashman in the Great Game: 1856-1858. The Indian Mutiny.

Flashman and the Angel of the Lord: 1858-1859. the Harper's Ferry Raid.

Flashman and the Dragon: 1860. the Peking Expedition.

Flashman on the March: 1868. British invasion of Abyssinia to rescue hostages.

Flashman and the Redskins Part II: 1875-1876. the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

Flashman and the Tiger

Mr American Mark Franklin arrives on the Mauretania at Liverpool in 1909 with a copy of Shakespeare's works, an old Mexican charro saddle and two Remington pistols in his battered luggage. A tall and soft-spoken American prospector, who made his fortune in a silver strike in Nevada, he is visiting the 'old country' to see his roots. Meets & Picnics with King Edward VII, Alice Keppel, meets Brig. Gen. Flashman at Sandringham.

Have fun w/ my Memoirs, Yank.

Glad to see Y'all here, Rod.

I've not received any messages from you in over a year.

My computer barfed about 14months back and I lost most of my address book. I'm still using my swiss cheese memory to fill in the gaps.

Shoot me an email and I'll get you on the list again.

gun.slick@juno.com

Archived