SASS Wire Forum

SASS Number

Denver Don

I wouldn't worry about the number, itself. It seems to me that when we're at a match, folks don't generally even care about a person's number on their badge, and don't even look at it. What I think most people see is, first, the overall look of your outfit, and then second, something about your get-up that is of interest, be it a gun of yours, your hat, your rig, your cart. The badge is on there somewhere, but it's part of the overall look.

And in that area, though, except for B-Western, I think that the older, the grungier-looking the outfit, the more realistic, seasoned and experienced it looks. Not like it just came out of the Sears-Roebuck catalog.

That's why I say, jokingly, that the best hat comes from buying the cheapest one there, then drive over it in your car a few times (when you're not wearing it), press it back into shape with your hands, and you're good to go. I confess I don't actually do that, myself, though. I just leave it alone and it gets dumpy all by itself, but I do take them out and shoot a hole in them just for atmosphere and ventilation. :lol:

That's why I never wash my shooting clothes :D

That's why I never wash my shooting clothes :D

Ah :lol: :lol: Ok. Ok. Well. Uh—

Ok, Griz. That's okay. I'll stand upwind, for sure. But I just thought I'd warn you that I might fly over some day in a C-119 and dump a load of Irish Spring foaming, antibacgterial, deodorizing, perfumed, handwash all over you some day when I catch you at a match. :lol:

OK, I do actually wash them, just not as often as the clothes I wear every day. I only really have one shirt for Cowboy shooting, and it gets washed after maybe three days of shooting. The jeans I wear shooting get washed after maybe 6 days shooting. I'm worried that the metal crimped on buttons for the suspenders will come off. And the suspenders are the only thing holding the pants up :D

hummm never thought about that but i got this little dummy sittin on my porch

his name is sammy, hes our neighborhood watch guy but i may fire him for just

sittin there ... anyway his cloths are nice and aged i may just trade him ... lol

You have what is called number envy.......

I suffer from buckle envy ;)

ohhh I like the buckle too i collected em fer a bit .... got brass ones and silver ones and these and those, got em with bull dogs on em, coboys coins guns big rigs......

collectin stuff is just another one of my bad habbits .... lol

ohhh I like the buckle too i collected em fer a bit .... got brass ones and silver ones and these and those, got em with bull dogs on em, coboys coins guns big rigs......

collectin stuff is just another one of my bad habbits .... lol

Merry Meg iz talwking 'bout shootin' buckels ya gits for prizes when ya place in the top 5 or top 10 at some of the bigger shoots. Got me a shoe box full of them. Gonna make a shadow box ta put 'em in someday. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Merry Meg iz talwking 'bout shootin' buckels ya gits for prizes when ya place in the top 5 or top 10 at some of the bigger shoots. Got me a shoe box full of them. Gonna make a shadow box ta put 'em in someday. Just sayin'

Big Jake

ooops ... yea i remember seein them ... dont know where my mind was at .... lol

And in the interest of hijacking someone else's thread (which seems to be a tradition around this here outfit):

The hat I wear to shoot in most of the time has been snowed on, rained on, and has belted a cow or two across the snout. Nothing like every day ranch work to give a hat character... :lol:

........... but did yer dawg(ette) have a litter of pups in it ?

Salutations Denver Don;

Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC, KCB, KCIE, CdLH, USMH, S.A.S.S. Lifer #535 here.

There were never any 2 digit numbers, only 3 digit ones, 000 through till we reached the 4 digit ones.

So no need to feel jealous, as you became involved as soon as practicable.

ok .... i have on of the highest numbers in SASS .... and I realize its cause i am one of the Newest members But Still i am Jealous dang it .... I want me a 3 digit number ..... maybe even a 2 digit number ..... although min is easy to remember ..... maybe 183 to match my old fd badge or 323 to match my birthday or 111 to match my number in the cb club or 159 to match my number in a qsl club ..... or 69 cause ... well never mind but i want a little number ..... oh well i guess i will take what i got ...... after all it did comee with an aweful lot a of good friends and good company....

Belly up to the Bar Boys ...... Drink are on Grizz .... oh waite he aint here ok Drinks are on me ......

Hello Col...,

Where did you hear that? It is not correct. My friends Southpaw and The Avenger both have numbers in the 80s. IIRC, 86 and 87.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Here's a partial list of early numbers:

Known Aliases "1-2000"

(Piney Woods Place)

;)

Hello Col...,

Where did you hear that? It is not correct. My friends Southpaw and The Avenger both have numbers in the 80s. IIRC, 86 and 87.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hey Allie Mo(no E) 57 and 58 for Southpaw and Avenger. I also know almost all of the 2 digit Sass members. They are all

SASS life Endowment members. 1-200= Endowment members. 201-400 were set aside for future Life members

Regular membership started at 401. I would have been 454, but asked Judge Roy Bean for 1001 out of order. Just sayin'

Big Jake

All of those low number badges I've seen start w/ a 0.

So both Southpaw & Avenger, whom I both know, as I recall read, 057 & 058.

Hipshots I know reads, 007. As we used to shoot on the same Posse quite a lot.

I've been around this Sport since 1982, so unless the Badges were changed, that's how I remember them readin', ducks.

Hello Col...,

Regards,

Allie Mo

ok .... i have on of the highest numbers in SASS .... and I realize its cause i am one of the Newest members But Still i am Jealous

There are a couple of ways to look at this, DD. One, at least you have a SASS number. I know folks who have shot for years that have no number. Of course they only shoot local matches, but they are not supporting SASS per se.

Secondly, numbers don't mean squat; actions do. I know folks with low numbers like Flint McCloud and PaleWolf Brunelle who are still out there humping steel. I know other folks with low numbers who never lift a finger. I know folks with high numbers who have jumped in with both feet, like Maggie Jensen and Gawd Awful, who contribute wherever they can, getting RO pins and learning the SASS scoring program. I know others with high numbers who never lift a finger.

I welcome everyone, but it is sure nice to have help once in a while. If everyone just does a little bit, it sure takes the load off of the match director. Don't worry about your number, because most people simply do not care. They are happy to see you out shooting.

I welcome everyone, but it is sure nice to have help once in a while. If everyone just does a little bit, it sure takes the load off of the match director. Don't worry about your number, because most people simply do not care. They are happy to see you out shooting.

Welp .. I'm always glad to lend a helping hand...... and of course to have some fun too! :D

........... but did yer dawg(ette) have a litter of pups in it ?

Nope, can't say that has ever happened to that particular hat. Or any other hat I own...

All of those low number badges I've seen start w/ a 0.

So both Southpaw & Avenger, whom I both know, as I recall read, 057 & 058.

Hipshots I know reads, 007. As we used to shoot on the same Posse quite a lot.

I've been around this Sport since 1982, so unless the Badges were changed, that's how I remember them readin', ducks.

I call Bum Scoop. Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman. Your mind must be foggin' up. Judge Roy Bean has Badge #1, not 001. Ergo Hipshot has #7, not 007. What you did and what you recomember are two(2) entirely different things. There are no #'s like 057-058.

Big Medicine #19, Sidewinder #26 say eggzactly that. Sorry if this bursts your bubble, but facts iz facts. Tell ya what...I'll buy you a beer and sit you down and "splain it to ya" Howze 'bout that???? Just sayin'

Big Jake

I wish I had got my SASS membership when I bought my first pair of Vaqueros, back in about '94. I would have a wonderfully low number. Not that that don't necessarily mean nuthin' though 'cause I did not take to shootin' those pistolas seriously until two years ago! I am happy to be here no matter what my number is! :lol:

Dan

Archived