SASS Wire Forum

Google Earth

Chantry

I was bored/curious and went and looked at Wake Island on Google Earth. I hadn't used Google Earth in a couple of months and they have really improved the image quality.

A minor hobby is coastal fortifications from 1900 to 1945 and I had often looked on Google Earth to see if I could find FT. Drum near the entrance of Manila Bay. Never used to be able to see it before, now you see the red rust on the turrets and that the upper turret is missing both of the gun barrels (probably sold for scrap as much of the metal inside was as well). I can see I will be spending a couple of hours looking at coastal forifications again.

It never ceases to amaze me what you can find out on this here Saloon (ACS).

I never would have thought of coastal fortifications as a hobby, but I am sure (in fact, I know), that there are a lot weirder hobbies around!

It never ceases to amaze me what you can find out on this here Saloon (ACS).

I never would have thought of coastal fortifications as a hobby, but I am sure (in fact, I know), that there are a lot weirder hobbies around!

now if they would just let us have full access to it we could read licence plates ... not that i would want to use it for that but they have the technology ......

I'm waitin for X-Ray Google Earth. :lol:

I tried to find Wake and ended up under water. There was no land where it took me.

Fort Drum took me to the great lakes someplace.

You have to be more pacific.

Or in the case of Wake maybe a little less pacific. :unsure::P

I Google Maps Earth and look at all the beaches in Hawaii. I followed the Hawaiian Archipelago ($3 word) till I got out to French Frigate Shoals. There is an Airport there and a small Hotel, Flights on Wednesday and Saturday from Honolulu, taking Fisherman out for the time of their lives. Just sayin'

Big Jake

I tried to find Wake and ended up under water. There was no land where it took me.

Fort Drum took me to the great lakes someplace.

For Wake Island put in 166.7 East, 19.3 N

For Ft. Drum put in 120.4 East 14.2 N

Sadly I can find Ft. Drum without the coordinates. That says something, mostly that my brain is filled with really useless information.

Check out Ft. MacArthur in San Pedro, California. There's everything from pre-WW1 8" morter pits, 2 14" disappearing rifle pits (Grandad was a trigger man), WW11 16" gun bunkers and 50's and 60's Nike sties

Along the cliffs just west of Cabrillo Beach is the ruins of the harbor defence mine system. A grid of mines outside the harbor was connected to switches in the bunker. A lookout on the hill would call the grid operator as to what mine to set off closest to the enemy ship.

TF

Ft. Sumter and Georges Island in Boston Harbor are two forts where you can see several generations of fortifications

Archived