SASS Wire Forum

Thievery

Well, the taking of something that is not yours. The Good Book has a lot to say about it, so does a lot of other cultures and beliefs. Its just wrong. Period.

I've written and rewritten this post many times and I just can't put my anger into print.

I know many of you have experienced this. It isn't my loss, its my dad's.

Prayers that we get justice. :angry:

I hope it works out; I hope you get justice.

It is hard to understand how someone can be so self-centered as to think that his desires supercede others', that he'll feel good about taking something that doesn't belong to him, not caring that it hurts others.

But that self-centeredness is at the heart of a lot of it. Sometimes raw meanness. Sometimes it's without thinking because of drugs.... All bad. It ain't right.

He's living in a world, though, where, I think, most folks do not steal. He'll get his in time.

Thanks Jen. I can almost fathom an understanding if it were related to drug/alcohol addiction and a one time break in. When it is done over a long period of time with eyes wide open with apparant taking advantage of trust it becomes theivery, not just happenstance robbery.

It also appears to know no gender boundry in this case. Greed abounds.

I need another cup of coffee. :angry:

Thanks Jen. I can almost fathom an understanding if it were related to drug/alcohol addiction and a one time break in. When it is done over a long period of time with eyes wide open with apparant taking advantage of trust it becomes theivery, not just happenstance robbery.

It also appears to know no gender boundry in this case. Greed abounds.

I need another cup of coffee. :angry:

whatever the addiction ..drugs, alcohol, greed, revenge- the person is still accountable and gets no undeterstanding or sympathy from me...too many times society blames an object, 'condition', or some other thing that lifts blame off the individual - and that's wrong.

prayers for your dad that justice gets done...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Get a gun or get a rope. If ya get a gun, you may not need the rope.

Prayers up for your Dad.

:mellow: This appeared in a local publication this week.....

The thieves that stole a Deer Stand, Steps & Bow Hanger on a private farm on Old Sharptown Rd., I have your picture. Replace it by Sept. 1st or the State Police will also have your picture. :ph34r:

I have had the unfortunate opportunity in the past to have

been a victim of thievery in the past several time in fact,

My dad always told me it was my own fault, as maybe i was

somewhere i shouldn't have been or let someone in i shouldn't

have or been away too long or befriended the wrong person, I

myself never really looked at it this way, I wasnt raised this

way i never understood anyone else to be like that either. the

plain and simple fact is that it happens. i shouldnt but it does.

and at time it just rub you the wrong way , and hits you hard enough

that you have a lot of things run through your mind of what you will

do with the thief if you yourself are the one that catch's them,

cause God would be the only one that could save them. hummm I dont

know where that all came from i guess i had a little bit of somethin

pinned up in there that I needed to vent!

It's not always the Police not wanting to be bothered. Sometimes they know that unless you saw the person driving the truck and can pick him/her out of a photo six pack, and they can possibly obtain an incriminating statement from the suspect, the District Attorney will not file the case and you have done a lot of work for nothing (unless you at least get the stolen property back). I cannot abide theives among other criminals, which is why I have been a cop for over 30 years.

It's not always the Police not wanting to be bothered. Sometimes they know that unless you saw the person driving the truck and can pick him/her out of a photo six pack, and they can possibly obtain an incriminating statement from the suspect, the District Attorney will not file the case and you have done a lot of work for nothing (unless you at least get the stolen property back). I cannot abide theives among other criminals, which is why I have been a cop for over 30 years.

Strange you should mention that....when i was 19 i had gone out of town for a few weeks upon my return i found mar 64 ss had been stolen i cal cspd and was told i would have to come in to the pd and file a report, i found out who took it, i didnt have the title as i was paying on it but had the regs and the bill of sale i took them and went right down to the pd the desk sgt said they could do nothing with out a clear title .... i gave him my papers and told him i know who took it i have witness is and was told where it might be .... and was told great pay it off get the title and comeback and see us ........ needless to say ... i was Piiiiiiiisssed ooofffffff can i say that in here .... well crap i need a coffee ...

Guest jeweler jim

Sorry for the length of this one...

Being a dinosaur it has always been my experience that what goes around comes around. Never or almost NEVER in the time frame that I would like to see, but they always pay a price for what they do. Even if they move on I will at some point hear from someone relating the price they pay for what they do.

On a perhaps lighter note or as a commentary on the times I will relate what we have taken to doing at the store where we also have a buying operation. Buying precious metals in the current economy tends to open your eyes and harden your heart. About a year ago we started placing a CZ (fake diamond) on the floor in front of one of the cases. The stone looks like about a 3/4 Ct. stone and in the beginning two out of three would pick it up and say, "Look what I found on the floor! What is it?" We then explain to them that it is our honesty checker and that they just passed the test. Sometimes it takes a little explaining as many can't believe that anyone would pick up the stone and take it. Recent history has two out of three dropping their keys or making some such move to pick it up and walking out with it. Some even have the brass to return a day or two later to try and sell it back to us. Even if we don't see the move as we're being distracted by some other action we still have surveillance that covers every square inch of the shop and can rewind and see who took it. Have been very surprised by some that we NEVER would have thought would do this and have.

Times are tough and they're getting worse as we see it. People who would normally never do something like this now are doing it. I suppose some would say we are part of the problem for tempting or entrapping people in this way, but sadly it provides a sick form of entertainment for us especially when they bring it back to try and sell it to us.

Didn't try to hijack the thread and maybe our little game is only amusing to us at the shop.

Thieves out by us are breaking into electrical boxes out by the street and stealing the copper wire...almost started a fire at one home when the surge protectors somehow went berserk and melted into the carpet... smoke alarms woke up the people! I can't understand what goes on in someone's "mind" when they think it's ok to take what they haven't worked for. :angry:

Rev:

There really is no justice in these cases.

I've been robbed at knifepoint, had thieves break into my boat, my car and my home; had a car stolen; even had some crazy folks steal a 200 lb. gas grille from my cottage.

None of them were ever caught. There is no CSI in real life.

Take consolation in the fact that your Dad was not hurt; that nothing more precious was taken; and that these losers have lives so devoid of meaning that they try to steal someone else's happiness. They will never find it, and will never appreciate the value of a life of work, moral conduct, and dedication to something larger than themselves. Losers, plain and simple. Whatever they took, it's probably up their noses by now, and when they come down, they will feel as empty and worthless as they did before. It's Hell on Earth, and they are stuck in a revolving door of pain, emptiness, and loneliness.

Count your blessings and move on.

LL

Thanks all for the comments and support. We've spent most of the day inventoring what is missing and its really been a long day. Next move is up to Dad how he wants to handle the situation.

My brother found his Chevelle up on blocks and his wheels & Crager's missing one time. At least they left the car.

You just never forget the empty pit in your stomach when you realize your stuff is gone.

Happened a lot in my life... but the one that really gets me was 'bout a week ago:

Our little unincorporated community just finished building a football stadium at our small (600 kids) high school. First game is less than two weeks away... and some low-life boot-scrapings cut through the cyclone fence and stole the copper wire for the stadium lights.

They'll have to travel far to sell the wire, and will probably get a couple hundred dollars at most. Repair estimate is over $70,000.

Not a very Christian thing to say, but it wouldn't have broken my heart if they'd been electrocuted a bit... <_<

Vengence is mine--sayeth the Lord.

But not if I find him first---sayeth Cherokee Charlie.

We have one by us.I caught him one time at my shop.I told him if I caught him even in my yard I would kill him.Took him home and told his dad I would kill him.This man is 45 years old drug head,has been from age about 17.He steals from his dad.Cops down his way all the time.He has been in the pen 4 or 5 time.I think the only cure will be a bullet when someone catches him.

I believe if you catch the thief, we could rehabilitate him or die trying-the thief that is . . .

Sorry for your Dad's loss, but it sounds like he has a son that is worth far more.

J.Mark, I'm sure the trial would be swift and justice would have common sense if you would preside. Get a rope...

Thanks for the kind words, hope to shoot with you again sometime.

Most a my clients is dealers, users and thieves. Always amazes me to see em at Sunday services then come monday standin in front of me after some vile act against another...

Rev, I sure hope all works out for your dad...

I've said it before and I'll say it now.....................

Find a tall tree and git a sort rope !!! :angry:

To tell you the truth I dont' think these people understand it is not all "theirs".. they don't understand hard work, or how hard you save for something. All they understand is they want it, and they take it. I did have this happen to me, and it did hurt because it was someone very close to me whom I had helped and cared about a great deal. In the end I was the fool. All I could do it pick up the pieces as they say, and move forward. I can not say I do not think about it from time to time. Nor can I say I believe this person will ever be sorry during their time on earth. But I do know that thinking about it will not help. Thats all my little brain can come up with, and I know I have to try to forgive, and move forward.

Every once in awhile just for kicks I take a gas can and put water in it and add just enough gas to it to where it has that gas smell to it, then I "accidentally" leave it out. Usually it's gone by morning.

Serves 'em right I reckon ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived