SASS Wire Forum

Any one tried one of the Rock Island compact 45s?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Im lookin to git a rock Island 45 either the std or the compact(both?).

I heard some need trigger work, whats your experience on thet??

Thanks aheadotime

CR

CR

If it a carry gun , the trigger should not be "super lite , target trigger " , in a real world encounted , it does not matter .

With a lite trigger , you are more likely to have an AD . I do not use a trigger under 4 1/2 lbs on a carry gun .

There are going to be some say I am wrong , but use what works for you .

CB

Howdy,

I understand they aint no kimber but a pard of mine put in a new trigger/sear

and said it really made a cheep 45 run real well.

Im thinkin I just gotta try and see how it goes.

Im talkin a GOOD creep free, crisp trigger NOT a super lite trigger.

Thanks

CR

I'll confess I don't see the logic of cast metal gun when for a little more you can have one made of forged steel and a nice basis for upgrading if you ever decided to. Some folks here like them;

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

In my experience, the RIA's do NOT normally come with a crisp trigger, 4 to 4.5 pounds, with no detectable creep and minimal overtravel. The examples I've worked with and shot were more like about 6-7 pounds, moderate amounts of creep and a lot of overtravel.

The sear and hammer are MIM parts - pressed sintered metal powder. I don't try to make those parts competition worthy, but replace them, and a few others (the trigger, slide stop and the mag release are common) with forged or bar stock parts as needed to meet what I believe is competition level.

Your tolerance for less than perfection in a trigger may vary.

Good luck, GJ

Sold my High Standard version yesterday. It started out working 100% with two of my magazines and by the last time I shot it you could get several other mags to work. The trigger was rough and the over all action was improving after about three hundred rounds. I had five 1911s and two have gone in the last two weeks with one more to go on the block soon. WB has just not caught my imagination as much as I had hoped. Cheep 45s has not been the real trouble, its those dadburn '97s that dawnt work fer a flip!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived