SASS Wire Forum

Action on a '94 Winchester

Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104

Realizing the Winchester 1894 will never be a fast rifle and not beleaguering what everyone thinks is the best rifle for the sport, what if anything can be done to smooth or lighten the action of a '94 Trails End? It will never be a '92 or even close but this is a reliable rifle in every other way.

One would naturally consider lightening the hammer spring. Has anyone done this and how much can be cut off? Magazine spring tension ideas? The action is such that little can be done with it so is there anything else I haven't thought of? Sometimes a little can mean a lot once it is all put together.

Jailhouse Jim

I cut 4 coils off the mainspring/hammerspring. Another thing I did that made a HUGE difference is to remove (did I say that out load) a little lock pin thingy at the bottom of the receiver. It holds the lever in place when lever is closed. I know this is some kind of safety, but it works fine (so far) with out it. If you don't want to remove this part, rework it so it doesn't have such a sharp end on it.

I also stoned most of the moving parts to allow things to move a little more easily.

Little Joe Knottright noticed a big diffenrence in my rifle after doing all this. Notice I'm not the one shootin it. :o

Check with Willy McCoy at www.cowboyactionguns.com . He's done a couple for long range rifle caliber that are smooth and fast for that dicipline.

Thanks for the information fellas, I'll start digesting it when I get done shootin' tomorrow evening and clean it. I want to get through the Western Regional in November then I will look at tearing it down for real.

JJ-D

Archived