SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder and air pocket

The Shoer 27979

Yesterday I was pulling bullets on some 38 ammo I was given and reloading BP in them for my son. I didn't know what the load was, nether did the person who gave them to me and most wouldn't fit in the chambers thats why I was pulling bullets. As I was loading these 38s back up with BP a thought came in my mind(who would have thunk I had a thought). Now I know you are suppose to compress BP but what would happen if I did get a little air pocket or I didn't compress the BP all the way ??

a tiny wee air pocket probably won't do much, but I wouldn't make a practice of loading that way...do it right, make sure you have at least an 1/8" compression.

GG ~:FlagAm:

Howdy, Pard,

Probably a ringged barrel or a BLOWN GUN! BP is a low explosive, rather than a propellant like smokeless powder. Also when compressed even slightly, the powder charge is ignited at the rear (where the primer is), and burns "cigarette fashion". With an air gap, you not only cause the bullet to act as an obstruction, but more grannules of BP can be ignited initially, which helps set the entire charge off in a short space of time. NEVER, EVER load less than a full, and at least slightly compressed charge of BP!

Ride careful, Pard! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! Godspeed to those in the path of hurricane Irene! God Bless America!

Your Pard,

what would happen if I did get a little air pocket or I didn't compress the BP all the way ??

#1 ... How much is 'a little air pocket"?

#2 ... Shooting original gunpowder reloads are perfectly safe with no compression of the powder and the bullet base seated just touching the top of the powder column. BPCR shooters do this all the time with reloads specific to a given bullet and the powder because ... 'it's what shoots best in their rifle.

Yesterday I was pulling bullets on some 38 ammo I was given and reloading BP in them for my son. I didn't know what the load was, nether did the person who gave them to me and most wouldn't fit in the chambers thats why I was pulling bullets. As I was loading these 38s back up with BP a thought came in my mind(who would have thunk I had a thought). Now I know you are suppose to compress BP but what would happen if I did get a little air pocket or I didn't compress the BP all the way ??

I only compress the powder about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. A little air pocket may still make your load go BOOM and push the lead bullet out of the barrel, but with a lot of air pocket might not have enough pressure to push the lead bullet out of the barrel. A pressure wave phenomenon usually occur in front stuffer rifle where a lot of air pocket occurs by not pushing the lead ball all the way in. You can easily see your powder charge level when loading 38 sp. cases. Just leave enough empty space to seat your bullet from the crimp groove to the base of bullet.

#1 ... How much is 'a little air pocket"?

#2 ... Shooting original gunpowder reloads are perfectly safe with no compression of the powder and the bullet base seated just touching the top of the powder column. BPCR shooters do this all the time with reloads specific to a given bullet and the powder because ... 'it's what shoots best in their rifle.

Option 2 above is how I have been loading my 44-40 ammo for nearly 10 years of CAS. Just enough real black powder to reach the base of the bullet with virtually no compression. I for one do not like airspace in the cartridge. BTW, I learned this when I was shooting BPCR. -_-

I didn't know what the load was, nether did the person who gave them to me and most wouldn't fit in the chambers that's why I was pulling bullets.

If the rounds had chambered normally, would you have shot them? Hope not. It's never a good idea to shoot ammo given to you unless you're certain of the load AND the reloader. I've pulled some rounds apart made by people who've been loading a long time, but apparently didn't know what they were doing.

Glad you pulled these apart. :)

If the rounds had chambered normally, would you have shot them? Hope not. It's never a good idea to shoot ammo given to you unless you're certain of the load AND the reloader. I've pulled some rounds apart made by people who've been loading a long time, but apparently didn't know what they were doing.

Glad you pulled these apart. :)

nope I would have pulled them anyways I didn't know what the load was. Just so all of you know, I do know I have to compress BP, I have been loading BP for SASS for around 6 or 7 years and Muzzle loader since the very early "80s. I just couldn't remember what would happen if you had an air pocket.

Thanks for reminding me of what could happen

I, personally do not believe that you could get a big enough airgap in a .38 case to cause any problem other than inconsistant bullet flight ............ there ain't that much room for the bullet and the powder and that much air ......

I had some BP shotgun shells given to me. I lost my nerve and salvaged the shot.

Shotgun round slavage suggestion.

I use PVC pipe cutters.

I cut the hull first just below the wad in the area of the powder. I do this over a small tub. I want to see what powder comes out.

Second I use the cutter near the crimp end to force the crimp to open up. I spill the shot in to another tub.

Third after I get a lot of these done, I take the hull base with the primer and one at a time I slowly push the primer out in my press. I put these aside. I do reuse them in my personal ammunition. I soot these for fun and not at a match. If something goes wrong I don't want anyone standing near.

17 years and not one mishap.

Oh the powder. I do not reuse it in ammunition. I mix a little at a time in a bucket with water and feed my rose bushes. Every year the rose bushes grow to about 15' tall with roses about 6" to 8" in diameter.

my roses

Archived