SASS Wire Forum

Holy Mackeral! The sights are falling, the sights

Buffalo Brady #24830Life

Maybe it's those .38 cowboy loads, but in one day, both of my SASS .38 Vaqueros had the sight fall off! Only consecutive serial number pair of revolvers I own...... maybe that's the reason! :lol:

Called Ruger to send them back for new sights (figure I may need them, tho I've been told that aiming is a waste of time). I told the rep that there was no solder in the slot, looked like they have been press fitted/crimped/stuck in with bubble gum... he insisted that they are all soldered. Must have thought I was a real smart aleck when I asked if they used that new 'invisible' solder on the New Vaqueros.. :blush: .

You might want to see if you have these revolvers if you are about to become 'sightless'! :ph34r:

I dunno for sure how Ruger does it, but there is a video of a SAA sight being installed as part of the assembly process. The sight is placd in the slot, with a bit of liquid soldering flux appied, the muzzle inserted into an electric field soldering machine, which heats the muzzle and sight, and shazaam, soldered. Done properly, it leaves almost no visible residue. Of course it'd leave a lot less if they failed to actually apply the solder.

Archived