SASS Wire Forum

Hurricane Irene

Aunt Jen

This just in.......

As Hurricane Irene descends on the East Coast, federal disaster officials have warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents are bracing themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA has advised: “Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports...the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together."

You know, if someone's having a real problem, I wouldn't want to make light of that. But I do enjoy the rain, and if I lived in New York at this time, I'd bet I'd think of the tropical storm as a great change of pace. I love storms and do well with them, anyway. Knowing me, I'd get all dolled up in some good rain gear and go out and enjoy: the streets would be relatively empty, the rain would change the look of everything. People draw together in such times, and I'd probably migrate to some coffee shop for some hot chocolate.

I hope no one's having a major problem, but I would probably enjoy the rain.

You know, if someone's having a real problem, I wouldn't want to make light of that. But I do enjoy the rain, and if I lived in New York at this time, I'd bet I'd think of the tropical storm as a great change of pace. I love storms and do well with them, anyway. Knowing me, I'd get all dolled up in some good rain gear and go out and enjoy: the streets would be relatively empty, the rain would change the look of everything. People draw together in such times, and I'd probably migrate to some coffee shop for some hot chocolate.

I hope no one's having a major problem, but I would probably enjoy the rain.

There's rainstorms, which I love, and Tropical Storms, which I do not. ;)

This just in.......

As Hurricane Irene descends on the East Coast, federal disaster officials have warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents are bracing themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA has advised: “Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports...the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I watched the Hidden Blade (samurai) the other day, and I noticed, "What? it's evening, and they're going through their lives without any TV. Hek, I'm watching the show on my TV. What do they do with their time?"

Then I noticed they were actually talking with each other............. Oh, Of course. I remember that... :lol:

I'm betting I'll be blocked in for a few days. If I lose power, it's warm enough that I don't need to do anything for a couple days. Fridge and freezer will stay cold enough if I don't open the doors.

That kind of thing happened to me several times when I used to live up in Washington. The wind woudl blow the trees down, knocking power line down... I had a generator and extension cords. I had the bedroom heater on propane, so it didn't get cold, regardless. One year, the neighbor's had to come over and watch the Superbowl on my TV because I had the generator hooked up to it. :lol:

Nostalgia

I drove 2 days from Texas to spend the week-end with Irene. She came ashore about 30 miles North of us. We had high winds, and some high water which damaged some of the slips. Lost power, but have a generator so the worst was no AC. Today was beautiful except for the hordes of mosquitos. Got the boats back into the water and ate about 5 ibs of shrimp. Hope you pards up the coast fare as well.

One of the biggest problems I have when there's no power is flushing toilets (I'm in the woods so I can go outside and pee) so I filled a couple carboys with water, didn't check them first and hadn't used them in years. Saw a dead mouse floating in the water. I started to take the carboy outside and dump it, wow that rain was impressive.

Oh well, in a pinch I can still flush a toilet with the water.

One of the biggest problems I have when there's no power is flushing toilets (I'm in the woods so I can go outside and pee) so I filled a couple carboys with water, didn't check them first and hadn't used them in years. Saw a dead mouse floating in the water. I started to take the carboy outside and dump it, wow that rain was impressive.

Oh well, in a pinch I can still flush a toilet with the water.

I feel your pain, Mo. We're on a well as well, so no power equals no water equals no flush. So...I rig a hose to my water heater, drain water into buckets, and refill the toilets from the buckets. Our power came back an hour ago, so we're back to normal. Lots of pine branches down, some bigguns on my roof, but no damage.

Everytime we have a storm (especially in the winter), I start thonking about an LP-fueled back-up generator - $4000 seems like a lot for a couple of days of no power...but each time you lose it, you swear you'll never go through it again. Well...more to think about...again.

LL

I have a much cheaper generator ( $500 range) and when needed I jury rig some wiring to my pump long enough to get some showers, flush toilets and wash dishes. In the winter I have a similar rig for running my furnace since it's not plugged into anything.

For this storm I took a shower every 12 hours "just in case."

My kid and grandkids live in the foothills (near moutains) Of NC.

They say wind and rain but that was it. No power outage for them

And knowing that state like I do, if someone looses power, it will take almost a month to get it back on !! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Archived