SASS Wire Forum

Attention Pale wolf

Noz

I have a pair of 1860 Piettas with 5.5" barrels that do not shoot POA=POI. I need to replace the front sights.

Would bone be an acceptable material under the rules?

I have a pair of 1860 Piettas with 5.5" barrels that do not shoot POA=POI. I need to replace the front sights.

Would bone be an acceptable material under the rules?

Yes!

Hey Noz, how will you attach them?

I'll shape the base to fit the slot and then thinkin JB Weld. Seems to work for everything else. Be using folding bones, a printers tool made from bovine shin bones. Looks a lot like ivory.

And Thanks PWB. I thought it would be but I'm trying to stay ahead of the rule book posse.

I'll shape the base to fit the slot and then thinkin JB Weld. Seems to work for everything else. Be using folding bones, a printers tool made from bovine shin bones. Looks a lot like ivory.

And Thanks PWB. I thought it would be but I'm trying to stay ahead of the rule book posse.

So ya been 'bonin up' on the old rule book, huh! :lol:

So ya been 'bonin up' on the old rule book, huh! :lol:

Yup. I had to hold about 6+" low and a bit to the right to hit the spots at POP. Gonna fix that.

Nate, the windage is off an inch or so on one gun and dead on on the other so the dovetail won't be necessary.

I'm hoping the bone I'm using is dense enough that breakage won't be a problem. think I'll make a couple of extras just in case.

I was at one time considering this fix on a pistol I no longer have, and thought about bone and superglue. Wasn't sure about the durability of the bone. I think the guy I sold the gun to was going to cut a dime and JB weld it in.

All American coins are too thin to fit in milled slot.So is the Peso.

Chickasaw Bill read this post and has offered some 1/8" brass stock for a more durable repair.

Thank you,Chickasaw. :)

Archived