SASS Wire Forum

Need Some Prayers, Please. LAST UPDATE!

Subdeacon Joe

Pard, that sounds just awful!

Keep by her side and let her know we are all pulling for her.

Prayers up for her and the doctors working on her. My the Lord

keep that nasty fever away and help her get better.

~EE Taft~

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe, I am so very sorry for her discomfort. It gets scary when our team mate is ill. Please know that I will continue to pray for her comfort and healing. Perhaps blessings will be with us and she can come home sooner.

God bless you both.

Joe, I am so very sorry for her discomfort. It gets scary when our team mate is ill. Please know that I will continue to pray for her comfort and healing. Perhaps blessings will be with us and she can come home sooner.

God bless you both.

Thanks, Badger. At least we have a name for the bastard now, helps me curse it more effectively. I came home early today, had planned to stay until about sundown, but I was nodding off. We both decided that I needed to get home and do a little self care so I don't run myself into the ground.

The staff there, well, I don't think they come any better. Gems, every one.

SDJ, along with the prayers I think I'll join you in cursing that foul "bug..."

Please let her know that we're all sending lots of good thoughts her way.

And take care of yourself, too!

Late Tuesday night my wife, Lisa, go some sort of insect (spider?) bite on her stomach. Wednesday morning it was little sore, but we didn't pay much attention. Wed. night there was the bite area, kind of raised about the size of a dime, but a red and slightly tender area about the size of a playing card around it, and she was kind of lethargic.

This morning it was VERY tender, both on the surface and deeper, and the hot and red area was a little bigger than a paperback book. So, off to ER we went. She was admitted, had blood drawn for tests, put on some heavy duty antibiotics. Might just be over night, might be a few days.

Your prayers would be much appreciated.

UPDATE:

Early Fri. morning (maybe around 2 or 3) her temp shot up to about 104. Flurry of activity, many ice packs. When I got there about 9, she was doing pretty good. Temp about normal, lucid, articulate. She is on three or four high power antibiotics. About 4:30 her temp went up again, she had a bout of nausea. That was about half an hour after they hung a different antibiotic for her IV. I think it was a side effect of the antibiotic stew they are pumping into her.

They are running several cultures, still haven't figured out what she has, other than the catch all "cellulitis."

Please keep the prayers and good thoughts coming.

Joe

The redness on the surface has spread a little, not much, but still it spread. I was in there when the doc came in, the first cultures indicate it is a Staph aureus (S. aureus), now they need to refine it to which variant. Said that it might be another 4 to 7 days in the hospital. He also mentioned the possibility of surgery.

Good news, the pump for her IV was beeping about an occlusion in the line every time she bent her arm even a little, so for two nights she wasn't getting any quality sleep. Not to mention if she did manage to fall asleep and not have the thing beep, someone would come in for vitals, or to check on something. And the IV in her arm HURT, I don't think she realized how much. They moved it to the back of her left hand, so now she can use her right arm without the pump screaming at her. Just that, and not having the pain in her are really improved her attitude. She lost the tightness around her mouth, was sitting straighter, was perkier, all around improved attitude.

Thanks again for all the support. It is very much appreciated.

I am going to pray so hard t onight for her.. Deja

Sounds like progress is being made! Very good news.

Still have all the fingers and toes crossed.

Still have you both and the medical staff in my prayers... Hang in there, amigo... you have a LOT of support here...

Vaya con Dios

Prayers still up for her and the doctors working on her. I have a prayer for you Joe.I know how hard is is when your wife is sick or has something wrong with them.

Joe, I'll keep talking to my Lord untill you both come home, healed and health !!

Count me an' Schoolmarm in for another round of prayers.

Peace and comfort and the Lord's healing to you and Miss Lisa.

Joe, you and I haven't talked much, but your problems really pains my heart. This group here is good for support, sorted like an extended family. Hang in there pard and I'll do my best to put in a good word for you and the love of your life.

Joe, you and I haven't talked much, but your problems really pains my heart. This group here is good for support, sorted like an extended family. Hang in there pard and I'll do my best to put in a good word for you and the love of your life.

Of course it is like family! Couldn't torment each other as we do if it were otherwise! Thanks for the kind words, Tom. Slowly things are getting better. By God's grace she may be home in a few days.

Update in the original post. Thanks to everyone for the continued support.

I pray God blesses you and yours

and all of are troops amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Late Tuesday night my wife, Lisa, go some sort of insect (spider?) bite on her stomach. Wednesday morning it was little sore, but we didn't pay much attention. Wed. night there was the bite area, kind of raised about the size of a dime, but a red and slightly tender area about the size of a playing card around it, and she was kind of lethargic.

This morning it was VERY tender, both on the surface and deeper, and the hot and red area was a little bigger than a paperback book. So, off to ER we went. She was admitted, had blood drawn for tests, put on some heavy duty antibiotics. Might just be over night, might be a few days.

Your prayers would be much appreciated.

UPDATE:

Early Fri. morning (maybe around 2 or 3) her temp shot up to about 104. Flurry of activity, many ice packs. When I got there about 9, she was doing pretty good. Temp about normal, lucid, articulate. She is on three or four high power antibiotics. About 4:30 her temp went up again, she had a bout of nausea. That was about half an hour after they hung a different antibiotic for her IV. I think it was a side effect of the antibiotic stew they are pumping into her.

They are running several cultures, still haven't figured out what she has, other than the catch all "cellulitis."

Please keep the prayers and good thoughts coming.

Joe

The redness on the surface has spread a little, not much, but still it spread. I was in there when the doc came in, the first cultures indicate it is a Staph aureus (S. aureus), now they need to refine it to which variant. Said that it might be another 4 to 7 days in the hospital. He also mentioned the possibility of surgery.

Good news, the pump for her IV was beeping about an occlusion in the line every time she bent her arm even a little, so for two nights she wasn't getting any quality sleep. Not to mention if she did manage to fall asleep and not have the thing beep, someone would come in for vitals, or to check on something. And the IV in her arm HURT, I don't think she realized how much. They moved it to the back of her left hand, so now she can use her right arm without the pump screaming at her. Just that, and not having the pain in her are really improved her attitude. She lost the tightness around her mouth, was sitting straighter, was perkier, all around improved attitude.

Thanks again for all the support. It is very much appreciated.

Good news, the S. aurea isn't a resistant form. And the docs finally got around to lancing it to help with the drainage. We are both persons of substance, so where the infection is on her doesn't get a lot of blood flow. Still not responding well to the antibiotics, but maybe now that it has been lanced things will improve quickly.

They did move her to ICU because when she got up to use the head at Oh dark30 she kind of got tangled up in all the cords and lines and took a fall. Couldn't convince them that she didn't pass out, but was just half asleep and got tangled up. On the other hand, in ICU if she falls asleep they let her sleep rather than sticking doggedly to a schedule of checking her vitals. So, your prayers are helping, and much appreciated. It is and Adventist hospital, and so religion isn't a forbidden subject. I printed out James 2:18 "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works." in a fancy font, along with a little note that everyone on staff we had met was a personification of that, and thanked them for their compassion, professionalism, concern, and selfless efforts. Quietly left a copy at the nurses station and on the bulletin board by the chaplains office.

The red area, which yesterday AM had expanded to about 3 fingers above her navel has receded to where it was Thursday afternoon. I think lancing the infected area and letting it drain did the trick. Bad news is that she has picked up a touch of pneumonia - kinda common in hospitals. So, things are looking up even though we still have no idea when she will be set free. Thanks again for all the support. It means a lot to the both of us.

I just now got home. She needed me with her for moral support today. Just to hear my voice, or my gentle snoring (HEH!) when I nodded off when she napped. And make snarky comments about a kitchen that thinks a meal of 4 oz of fish, a cup and a half of white and wild rice pilaf, a cup of steamed carrots, a large slice of very dense whole grain bread and black coffee is a good meal for someone with Type 2 diabetes.

With so many blood draws, and the way Lisa tosses and turns in bed, plus having to get up because of the diuretics, all the usual sites on her arms for sticks of various types have become useless, so they put in a 'central line.' They couldn't make the turn at her clavicle after three tries, so they gave up on that and went for the jugular. Literally. And that took several tries, plus bringing in the ultrasound rig to find the vein they needed. What should have been 20 minutes stretched to about 70 minutes. At least now she can move her arms.

Good news, the redness is almost gone, maybe about 3/4 the size of a playing card now. And it is draining well. Her white blood count is almost back down to normal, the pneumonia is almost gone.

Subs.. I am still praying for you both.. hugs.. Deja

Continued prayers for you both until Ms. Lisa is out of the woods... Take care of yourself as well, SDJ... she is going to need you more than ever through this... I know you already know that, but sometimes you just need to hear somebody else say it...

Vaya con Dios

Continued prayers for you both until Ms. Lisa is out of the woods... Take care of yourself as well, SDJ... she is going to need you more than ever through this... I know you already know that, but sometimes you just need to hear somebody else say it...

Vaya con Dios

Yep...she sent me home early tonight. Told me I was looking really dragged out. So much for thinking I can hide anything from her.

Anyway - looks like the infection is almost gone. But, the doc who came on to her case Monday is now saying that he wants to keep her until the middle of next week to get her blood sugars and BP down. And he wants to do it in-patient and on IV, not out-patient and with oral meds. She and that doc had a not quite shouting match in her room.

Yep...she sent me home early tonight. Told me I was looking really dragged out. So much for thinking I can hide anything from her.

Anyway - looks like the infection is almost gone. But, the doc who came on to her case Monday is now saying that he wants to keep her until the middle of next week to get her blood sugars and BP down. And he wants to do it in-patient and on IV, not out-patient and with oral meds. She and that doc had a not quite shouting match in her room.

Subs.. I will keep praying for her and you too... hugs Deja

Great to hear that she's gettin' better, Pard!

I will keeps prayers goin' for her to get well and be home very soon!

Both of you, take care and get some rest. I'm sure you both need it!

~EE Taft~

Here's another round of prayers. It's for a really good cause!

Hope she gets to feeling better soon!

Archived