SASS Wire Forum

Hurricane Irene

Aunt Jen

Yeppers, it ain't fun. In the past 7 years, I've endured Rita and Ike -- both direct hits. Both caused lots and lots of damage -- some of it (from Ike), I'm still fixing. You'll get to see how good your insurance company is as well.

Prayers out to those "in the way."

Chick

I did a bit of Ike, too. Some of mother nature's biggest storms.

Whaddya have to do?

Board windows

Turn off sprinklers

Steel ties between walls n roof in attic

Put generator in steel shed by bathroom

Move tv into bathroom

Get in tub w the doggie

Watch DVDs for 2 days??

Me, I'd get a motel room elsewhere for 2 days. That's what I did for Frances n Ike.

I hope this goes without saying, but speaking as a native Floridian (and I hope this does not sound like I'm being a know-it-all), I would advise all of our CAS brethren up north to NOT take this storm lightly. Hurricanes are nothing to trifle with. And don't even think about listening to any snowbird neighbors you might have if they start with that "Ah-I-have-been-though-them-before-nothing-to-worry-about" crap. Florida has a lot of cemetarys full of people who had that same attitude. Take the proper precautions, PLEASE! And the best precaution is get the heck out of its path! travelling 200 miles inland will usually suffice. If that is not an option, then stock up on drinking water, canned goods, batteries for your flashlights and radios. Make sure your cellphones are fully charged. Do not go outside for any reason. A number of fatalities during hurricanes are due to flying debris. Stay off the shorelines becuase of the surge.

I'd keep an eye on the weather channel or some such, and if it were coming, I'd get into some kind of vehicle and head away/inland, like was said. Being in a house, no matter how well constructed, during a hurricane would be no fun at all. If/when the power goes out, a day or two of constant wind harder than anything ever else experienced, darkness....rain....is nowhere to be. And then if the roof gets blown off, or if someone else's roof gets blown into your house...

I think it's better not to be there.

I'd keep an eye on the weather channel or some such, and if it were coming, I'd get into some kind of vehicle and head away/inland, like was said. Being in a house, no matter how well constructed, during a hurricane would be no fun at all. If/when the power goes out, a day or two of constant wind harder than anything ever else experienced, darkness....rain....is nowhere to be. And then if the roof gets blown off, or if someone else's roof gets blown into your house...

I think it's better not to be there.

Yeah, it's somewhat disconcerting when yore cbs walls start to vibrate from the wind.

I hate it when that happens. :huh:

Archived