SASS Wire Forum

Would you approve,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Hello,

A "minus 5 seconds" is the way a bonus is scored. Penalties are added. I know you know that; but, you didn't write it. ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

I know, but his statement gave me the idea of adding 5 seconds to the score if you HIT the bird. A reverse bonus if you like... :) I let my fingers get ahead of my tongue. :blush:

Actually a five second bonus can easily turn it into a fifteen second penalty for those of us who shoot with our eyes closed. I like the reverse idea also. Same target with the clay = A and second target is plain IPSC =B, instractions are to shoot steel on target A once, shoot target B three times and shoot clay on target A with final round. A scoring dilemma for me, what is the proper call if the clay is shot away with the first shot, two misses or a procedural and a miss? Now I know why no asks me to write stages!

I find it difficult to believe that a shooter good enough to fire 5 shots under 2 seconds that would be covered by a half dollar wouldn't have the ability to move his sights to hit another spot on the steel or the next target. This is the kind of thinking that makes any series of targets, that may require the shooter to hesitate for even a split second, before pulling the trigger after cycling whatever gun he's using, to be considered too difficult. I sure wouldn't want SASS to be a bullseye game, but is taking a split second more than it takes to cock your revolver or lever your rifle to be sure your sights are on target really that difficult? Just don't get it. Smokin Gator

Did not say it was impossible, only that it was chancy. To give an example Shooter A and Shooter B this past weekend finished within .02 secs of one another over 12 stages. Had the bonus target been in play with both shooters hitting the bonus a variance in changing POA to another area of the target could easily have changed the overall outcome. This is the second time in my memory that these two have been very close like this, previous time was .03 secs over 12 stages. Further they are not alone, I am sure there are many shooters out there who are very evenly matched and a split second more from one or the other has decided many a match.

Happy shooting

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW I know one shooter fast enough to get off 2 shots faster than a timer can pick up (less than .07 splits and timer records a single shot) and I am certain there are several others who could do that as well. I do not know if human reactions function at the same pace so it seems possible to have two shots gone before the gun could move to different point or they would have to slow down (relatively) to shoot another point. (I am NOT one of them in my wildest dreams :lol: )

Regards

"Did not say it was impossible, only that it was chancy. To give an example Shooter A and Shooter B this past weekend finished within .02 secs of one another over 12 stages. Had the bonus target been in play with both shooters hitting the bonus a variance in changing POA to another area of the target could easily have changed the overall outcome. This is the second time in my memory that these two have been very close like this, previous time was .03 secs over 12 stages. Further they are not alone, I am sure there are many shooters out there who are very evenly matched and a split second more from one or the other has decided many a match."

Of course shooters win or lose by very small time differences. In your example if two shooters were dead even and one is able to adjust to another part of the target and have a split second faster time, he did better and should beat the other shooter. Any hesitation on a shooters part or bobble of any kind could mean much more than a .02 or .03 difference.

What I'm mainly commenting on is that some shooters feel any target sequence/size/placement that makes them unable to pull the trigger at the moment they have finished cycling the gun is too difficult. They think if they have to hesitate to make sure they are on target before pulling the trigger, that too much is being asked of them. That's what I don't get. Smokin Gator

We have one at Mima, but we only give a 5-second bonus. The trouble with the target is that sometimes an obvious shot on the plate (not the bird) causes vibrations which will cause the plate to crack, then people try to claim the bonus, which is not in the spirit of the game. I always try to tell the spotters to pay close attention to the bonus shot.

We first saw this target at the OR State Match, and like any good cowpoke, we stole the idea. B) We took one of our 16" round targets up to a machine shop and had them cut a hole a little smaller than the standard White Flyer, welded two cup hooks on either side of the hole, then hold the bird in place by a thin rubber band stretched between the hooks.

Why not turn it into a positive and simplify scoring, any degradation of the clay is a hit on the clay, be it a single bullet diam hole, a crack or whatever? Give the shooter the benefit of the doubt. Heck we even give the shooter a hit when the shot bounces off the ground, a target stand, another target and finally ricochets onto the correct target-IT's A HIT. The Judge is firm on this!

Why not turn it into a positive and simplify scoring, any degradation of the clay is a hit on the clay, be it a single bullet diam hole, a crack or whatever? Give the shooter the benefit of the doubt. Heck we even give the shooter a hit when the shot bounces off the ground, a target stand, another target and finally ricochets onto the correct target-IT's A HIT. The Judge is firm on this!

I agree, make it a positive experience. I believe all the places where I shoot, if the bird is broke or chipped, it is a hit.. just like when a bird breaks coming out of the launcher. We don't care it the bird is broke by bullet splatter, vibrabration off the steel from those big boolites or it just falls out,,, the bird is broken and the stage description has been accomplished. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I tend to not like most bonuses for shooting targets. A miss on the bonus target cost the shooter the extra time s/he took to aim, plus the possibillity of missing the bonus target (if a miss is counted as a miss) and not getting the bonus score. A five second bounus could end up being a 7-10 second penalty.... or more.

Off topic about bonuses,,,, I like a generous 10second bounus for a single round reload of a pistol/rifle and an easy shot after the reload. With 10 seconds, most all shooters, young or old think they can get the reload done faster than 10 seconds and actually gain (lower overall time)... Five second bounus? Most can not get it done and feel stressed.

edit: back to the OP... Yes, I like an occassional pistol/rifle target with a cut out for a clay flier.

Blastmaster

What about pipsqueak bullets that bounce off the clay? Just kiddin.

I prefer solid targets with the clay set to the side of the steel.

At a large regional match, a high-ranked shooter (I cannot remember his name) blew a clean match because a bullet went through a bolt hole on a small swinging door in the middle of the target. I have been leary of funky targets ever since.

Archived