SASS Wire Forum

Five Card Stud

Denver Don

I saw this Movie Years ago... I believe it was Five Card Stud ... where Robert Mitchem played the Preacher and he was a Gambler/Preacher/Lawman he tended to change carriers you might Say .... He Carried a Bible that had a Remington Derringer in it, Well I always thought it was just a movie that came from a Story that Someone Made up. the come to find out it was based on a true story, well then a few months back I Ran into a Guy that had a Bible he Claimed to belong to the Real Preacher that the movie had been made about, he said he got it from the preacher's nephew or Grandson, and he was wanting to sell it..... cant remember off hand but i think he wanted 1400 but dont remember off hand, i figured if he would have had a letter from the guy he got it from he might have gotten the price.... but I was just setting here thinking how awesome the story was that it needed to be shared

I saw this Movie Years ago... I believe it was Five Card Stud ... where Robert Mitchem played the Preacher and he was a Gambler/Preacher/Lawman he tended to change carriers you might Say .... He Carried a Bible that had a Remington Derringer in it, Well I always thought it was just a movie that came from a Story that Someone Made up. the come to find out it was based on a true story, well then a few months back I Ran into a Guy that had a Bible he Claimed to belong to the Real Preacher that the movie had been made about, he said he got it from the preacher's nephew or Grandson, and he was wanting to sell it..... cant remember off hand but i think he wanted 1400 but dont remember off hand, i figured if he would have had a letter from the guy he got it from he might have gotten the price.... but I was just setting here thinking how awesome the story was that it needed to be shared

Do ya perchance remember the preacher name?

R3B

Robert Mitchum was in a movie called "The Wrath of God" in which he had a derringer in a bible. It was a pretty good movie. I keep trying to find it on DVD with no luck. Saw it in a theatre in Minneapolis in the summer of 1972. I can recall the year as that was where I saw it and only summer that I lived thur. May not be the only movie in which he was a preacher with a gun in a bible though. I only vaugely recall seeing " 5 card stud" . . . can't recall much about it. :)

Robert Mitchum was in a movie called "The Wrath of God" in which he had a derringer in a bible. It was a pretty good movie. I keep trying to find it on DVD with no luck. Saw it in a theatre in Minneapolis in the summer of 1972. I can recall the year as that was where I saw it and only summer that I lived thur. May not be the only movie in which he was a preacher with a gun in a bible though. I only vaugely recall seeing " 5 card stud" . . . can't recall much about it. :)

yea he was in another one as a preacher "Wrath of God" it was a western but i dont remember much about it... then there was one more where he was an evil preacher chasing a couple kids across the country but dont remember what its called and dont think it was a western though

Well Denver... did that there original Bible come with the orginial Derringer...? :rolleyes:

ifen i remember right the bible was from the 1840's or 1850's and the Remington was from the late 1880's and it had about 5 or 6 rounds of ammo heavily tarnished .... been tiring to get to figure out how ta get a hold of em but so far no luck!

ahhh haaaaa I found the listing where i ran into it at .... it was an 181 bible and the remington was an 1888, and the real preachers name was warren d haywood from texas he may be wrong about the year of the pistol it was serial number 564 and it did have a cracked hinge on one side or the other .... but i would think historically it would be awesome to have ...

Archived