SASS Wire Forum

thinkin bout buying a good 'BB' gun

Widder, SASS #59054

I don't much care for BB guns - but there are several excellent pellet guns on the market.

From .177 caliber up to .50 caliber capable of taking small to medium sized game!

First question is what's your primary use for the gun?

Chief Rick:

It will primarily be used to pester Yellow Jackets that land on rotting apples out in the back yard.

I have used Black Powder blanks before in my .45's but I like the idea of going after them with a BB gun for a change.

..........Widder

Can you make it work like you do the marlins?

Unless ya wanna go big bucks, a crossman pump-up type is hard to beat. I had one of the classic pump pistols that was accurate and lasted a long time. One or two pumps will be plenty enough for accuracy, and 10, well that'd be deadly for yard pests.

Widder, a carbine stock is available for that Crossman pump; really makes it accurate.

Might want to try a really inexpensive "air gun" scope to make it deadly for the yeller jackets.

Though, I gotta tell ya, I got an airsoft AK47 for my grandson and, those pellets will go through a soda can at 12 paces plus, its pretty accurate and the sound and cyclic rate is dead on too.

Howdy,

If you can find one Chief AJ made a batch of Daisy adult size bb guns.

btw they aint rifles, they gots no rifling.

His daisys have a stronger spring and shoot just a bit harder.

there are plenty of regular daisy guns, they are cheap and can sure encourage a

squirrel to leave the bird feeder.

I know one old fella who would shoot flies with an old bb pistol.

Pretty cool, I thought.

Best

CR

Well I own one of these... And think they are pretty neat!! Don't know about accuracy, but it makes up for it with a "cool" factor

I've got a Marlin. On sale at Big 5 for $39 and change. I like its profile.

Fillmore

+1 for the Daisy Red Ryder. Should be perfect for your purpose. I have one of the new ones. It does not seem to hit as hard as the one I had in my youth, but that may just be memory! :lol: I think Daisy is also doing a release of the Model 25 pump. :)

Chili Ron recommended the Chief AJ Red Ryder. Chief AJ is pretty awesome. That would be my pick. The auto airsoft recommendation is good also. We shoot Carpenter Bees at our house. We started with .22 rat shot and now we have progressed to Red Ryders and airsoft guns. The red Ryder is fun, but the automatic airsoft allows for immediate correction as you watch the bb's like tracers.

I have several BB guns and pellet rifles and pistols. Favorite - Daisy Model 25 pump. They have them new at Sportsman's Warehouse for around $35. The co2 guns are never charged up, the various pellet ones require some fiddling and or pumping. The Daisy is always one pump away from being in batterey, and makes magpies think twice about hanging around. I have even dispatched one, although that is not the goal.

Shootin Yellow jackets you best get a flame thrower! You can cook them apples while yer at it. Them some sneaky little buggers and they usually have friends that have a bad disposition.

But since a flame thrower is most probably out (banned around the house by the wife, at least mine is) a Red Rider would work and give a pretty fast follow up. Mine is hell on wood bee's.

Saw one awhile back i really wanted but just didn't have the extry funds layin' around. Ruger made it, was a nice strong (1000+fps range) in .177 Someone was selling factory refurbished for about 90 bucks. Seemed like a nice one for someone in the market.

Don't know how it would be on yellow jackets, but I have an RWS pellet rifle and the Rico Kid has a Gamo. We spent yesterday morning shooting banana slugs from his back deck. WOW!!! What a splatter!! :D

Widder, without a long explanation, you've got to be careful what you buy because it depends on what you want the capability of an air rifle to be. It is not safe to assume that because an air rifle is .177 caliber that it is a good idea to shoot BB's in it. The most accurate and powerful air rifles are going be be just that, rifles with rifled barrels intended to shoot lead pellets only. They are typically cocked by breaking the barrel and are single shot. Since they are not designed for BB's, if you put one in and point the barrel down, the BB will roll out.

There are what I'll call the in-betweens like the Daisy 880 pump up gun that have rifled barrels and BB reservoirs so you don't have to place a BB in by hand for each round. They have a magnet to hold the BB in place. They're powerful (~750 FPS), but personally for wasp hunting, I don't care for them because they're slow due to the fact they must be pumped up to ten times for each shot. The up side is they can be fairly accurate if you use a pellet instead of a BB. If you're going to be venturing outside of wasp hunting into other dangerous game, they're a decent gun for a decent price.

And then there are the flat out BB guns that have smooth barrels, are less accurate, but can churn out some BB's. When shooting wasps and such, ultimately when you hit one, you might have to give luck a little credit...or you could speak of your prowess after having learned to adjust your aim depending on the distance to the target. You learn to allow for the "slice" that you get when you propel an almost round BB from your gun. It tends to get the BB spinning sort of like a pitcher intentionally spins a curve ball. I'm biased on my favorite here because it was my first BB gun, an 1894 Daisy. Here's an original like it. I can tell you from experience that it is an excellent wasp gun and will even handle mid sized dangerous game...like bumble bees.

Dangerous game....and so much for "without a long explanation." :D

Here's a "modern" one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhHVinxfODQ&feature=related

For a good, dependable low power BB gun, go with the Daisy Red Ryder.

If you want something with a bit more hitting power, the old Daisy pump gun, I think they called it the Model 25, is a fantastic gun. Sadly, they don't make them anymore.

On a more elaborate level, the ones that you can pump from 1 to 10 times by either Crossman or Daisy are all very nice. Personal preference will dictate which one you want.

But, in the name of all that is holy, DON'T shoot at yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, or bees (bumble or honey) with any kind of a projectile weapon. Especially at the nest. You run the risk an angry swarm of them attacking you and making you very dead. I do not exaggerate, these things can be deadly dangerous when angered. Especially the white faced hornet kind. They will attack with the least amount of provocation.

If you've truly got yellow jackets, the ones that have a nest in the ground, wait till sunset, spray a hole can of wasp/hornet killer in the entrance, and then pour about a quart of gas/oil mix down the hole and drop a match on it. Only way to be sure the nest is destroyed.

If you've got a hanging paper nest of hornets, saturate the entrance with the spray, carefully cut it down, and then burn it.

If you've got bees, call a local beekeeper who will come and take them away. (In fact, such a call for the other things can be wise too, depending on where the nest is. Especially if it's in your house.)

My Dad was a beekeeper. I've seen a lot of nasty things these insects can do. They are not to be trifled with.

Thanks for all the replys Pards.

The auto air-soft guns might just be the ticket or the Daisy RR.

I know alot about the yellow jackets. I've eliminated over a dozen nest back on the farmers field. He (the land owner) is highly allergic to all bees and he calls me to exterminate them.

My friend and I do the following:

With his 12 gauge loaded with magnums, he blast the entrance to the hole open with both barrels at the same time. At that instance, I start putting the hornet spray in the hole and then about a pint of gas. Then lite that bugger and get out.

Another caution to observe: wear DARK clothing or maybe camauflauge. Whatever ya do.....don't wear a white t-shirt.

Thanks for all the info!

..........Widder

Oh yea, one other way to eliminate a YJ nest.

get yeself a good piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken and toss it close to the nest entrance hole during the evening (sunset).

IF you have skunks or possums in your area, the chicken smell with attract them. I don't know as much about possums BUT, a skunk will detect that YJ nest and dig that sucker out during the night.

Go figure!

..........Widder

H.K., Daisy is making the 25 again. Big 5 is advertising them for about 40 bucks.

Widder, what ye need is the Gamo air shotgun. Uses itty bitty black shotgun shells loaded with "dust" shot. The little black shells are re-loadable. Has a chamber insert so ya can shoot pellets too.

I keep my RR by the back door to dissuade feral cats from hangin' around. $19 at Academy. Best gun deal I ever made.

I despise all multi-pump guns. If it ain't fully charged with one stroke, I got no use for it.

Got two of those Daisy 6guns and they are fun to plink with. First one back in the day for like twelve ninety five. It's partner just recently, same gun same specs but $100 more.

Got one of those new issue 94 Daisys but haven't got to wring it out yet. Appears to have the same firing mechanism as the 6guns. Only the rich kids like Buck had one of those back in the day.

Had a Benjamin 30-30 CO2 BB/pellet gun as a teen. Man that thing was power incarnate. It would shoot thru both sides of 5 gal steel bucket. Shot a scissortail out of the air and became a living legend amongst all the cousins.

I have loved airgunnery all my long life.

I don't know as much about possums BUT, a skunk will detect that YJ nest and dig that sucker out during the night.

Widder, who would've thought...you're a skunk expert. Surely Possum Skinner can enlighten us on the our local marsupials. :D

Got one of those new issue 94 Daisys but haven't got to wring it out yet. Appears to have the same firing mechanism as the 6guns. Only the rich kids like Buck had one of those back in the day.

Got it for Christmas when I was 7 and I still have it....along with boo-koodles of other BB guns (Daisy, Crossman, Hahn, etc) that came along when Mother married a man who would end up working for Daisy. Rogers, Arkansas, the home of Daisy BB gun and Buck D. Law as a youngun. Actually, I lived out in the woods from Lowell, but it was in the Rogers School District. :D

Widder, I'm long out of the loop, but the 1894 was the most user friendly single cock BB gun of that time. The boys with the Red Ryders, 25's, etc. envied my 94, I think because it was more powerful (25 is similar), dependable and seemed to be more accurate. The 94 was easier to load than the 25, but the Red Ryder was even easier to load...but it had a downside that it would not always "chamber" a BB. The 94 never failed. The biggest problem with the newer guns is like many things, they just don't make them like they used to. Inexpensive has turned into cheap.

For my 75th birthday my two girls gave me a Daisy Red Ryder. For the past many Christmases we have been watching the movie "Christmas Story" where the little boy only wanted for Christmas a

Daisy red Ryder BB Gun. I guess every year I tell them I always wanted a Daisy Red Ryder and never got one. So at 75 I'm shooting targets in my backyard.

I"m not going to shoot my eye out!

Have fun out there.

Archived