SASS Wire Forum

Lincoln CA Tanker Fire

Subdeacon Joe

Been burning since yesterday.

I'm wondering why they haven't brought in one of the foam generating trucks from an airport to try to smother it.

Now they are working on tapping into the bottom of the tanker, draining out the propane, and burning it off in a sump they just created.

It can be more dangerous trying to extinguish these types of fires than to just let them burn.

As it is, you just have a fire.

If the extinguishment process goes wrong, you get a big boom and you still have fire and possibly hurt (or worse) firefighters.

It can be more dangerous trying to extinguish these types of fires than to just let them burn.

As it is, you just have a fire.

If the extinguishment process goes wrong, you get a big boom and you still have fire and possibly hurt (or worse) firefighters.

Thank you. I figured I'd get an answer here.

Thank you. I figured I'd get an answer here.

What Chief Rick said. Subdeacon Joe, I thought the same as what you said. Then the news guy said if they put out the fire the gas is still there and could create a cloud that could ignite. That doesn't sound good to me. Glad we have brave firefighter professionals making the big decisions.

Regards,

TSGG

Who gets the short straw to tap the tank? :blink:

What Chief Rick said. Subdeacon Joe, I thought the same as what you said. Then the news guy said if they put out the fire the gas is still there and could create a cloud that could ignite. That doesn't sound good to me. Glad we have brave firefighter professionals making the big decisions.

Regards,

TSGG

Amen to that last. I had figured that once they got the flames out they could just drain it as usual. Guess not.

Who gets the short straw to tap the tank? :blink:

This sounds like something out of Red Adair's bag of tricks.

On the news it said that fire authorities brought in a team from Texas to do the 'hot tap.'

ADDED:

Watching the news from the evacuation center - an ice cream truck just pulled up and will be dealing out free ice cream at least to the kids.

About an hour ago the fire marshal dealing with the whole thing announced that the tanker is almost empty, they won't be tapping it. They have cut most of the water feed and they are filling the tank with an "inert liquid" to get the fumes out and let them burn off. People will be allowed back home after midnight.

Archived