SASS Wire Forum

What's the Best way to ship a rifle?

Bulls Head Bill SASS#33692

I've had good luck with Fedex ground. I've heard some say that Fedex will only ship firearms by overnight, but the place I use has never told me that and I've shipped lots of guns. It's a lot cheaper, too. Usually less than $20.

USPS

'66 went into it's oringinal box

That went into a wood box that I made from 2x2s covered with 1/4" plywood.

USPS Clerk asked me if it was a guitar. I said nope.

Think it cost $20 - $25 to ship with no insurance and a tracking number.

First take the butt stock off, then make ya a box. I used Luan (plywood panelleing works Ask at yer local Homey Depot or Lowes if they got any damaged stuff ya can get a couple chunks out of for cheap), but not pressed board) and 1X3 firring, and a bit of pipe insulation. Tape up the edges to avoid splinters which make the belt monkeys mad so they will break yer stuff, and screw the whole works together with drywall screws. mark the top side "open this side" so yer smith knows which screws to undo. Now ya can ship it any way yer heart and the law allows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/gunbox1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/gunbox2.jpg

This one has been through 4 or 5 round trips so far with no incidents (different guns)

I like AJ's idea, and if I didn't already have one of them plastic gun cases that's what I would do.

But since I have one of them rectangular plastic gun cases, and a cardboard shipping cover for it, that's what I'd use.

I'd suggest ya take it to your local gun dealer and let him do it. No muss no fuss and the gun shop makes a couple bucks. Rye

What's the Best way to ship a rifle?

I've got a cranky "73" that needs to go for some surgery.

Send it UPS?......or FedEx?

For anyone who gives you advice on shipping a gun through Fedex without declaring it, let me tell you otherwise. A dealer shipped my one of a kind pair of Rugers back to me on the cheap without declaring them and the Fedex driver stole one of the guns. He has since been arrested for the theft and the use of my stolen gun in an armed robbery. When I turned in a claim to Fedex it was denied even when it shown their driver stole it. Fedex told me my problem was with the shipper and to contact him for restitution because they weren't paying my claim because he didn't follow their guielines.

I would be happy to email anyone a copy of the Fedex letter of denial if anyone has any doubts.

Larry Earp

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

U.S. Post Office

Archived