SASS Wire Forum

Can't shoot my 1911 indoors

Aunt Jen

Took painless to shoot 1911 indoors today but I was refused. Said u had normal primers in ammo but require clean primers indoors per EPA, though not w rifles. Said I could do it w their ammo, but price too high. So we walked.

?????

I normally shoot outdoors.

What a mess?

Loaded Painless out of wheelchair back into car.

???

Do you have a friend who might be a uniformed police officer? Have them go in with your gun and ammo and see if they give him the same crap, and if not, then someone needs a good arse chewing.

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

The Range is worried about lead vapors. Most of the vapors that enter our body with carcinogenics come from the back of the cartridge. Indoor Ranges in Las Vegas Nevada, having been requiring Lead free ammo/primers since around 2000. The Range employees have to breath that crap day in and day out. I don't like the idea; and some ranges in Las Vegas require frangible ammunition with those lead free primers.

Ranges are getting sued by their employees for Cancer outbreaks and though No One has successfully proven they got their Cancer from the indoor range YET, the Ranges are trying to minimize financial exposure. If an employee claims he got sick from his work environment then yes, OSHA and EPA get involved.

Not much choice; Comply or go outside.

So how the heck do they know, looking at a box of cartridges if they are non toxic?

Presumption of Evidence. If your box of ammo does NOT have the "CLEAN" or "LEAD FREE" wording, it's presumed that it is NOT.

Would they allow handloads...? What if you took in an empty "clean" primer package...? :huh:

Would they allow handloads...? What if you took in an empty "clean" primer package...? :huh:

I am sure your question is sincere, BUT I have some problems with giving instructions on how to violate a company's policy that might lead to damages later. As remote as it might be, especially in a public forum; I have had enough confrontations in my lifetime already. ;)

I am sure your question is sincere, BUT I have some problems with giving instructions on how to violate a company's policy that might lead to damages later. As remote as it might be, especially in a public forum; I have had enough confrontations in my lifetime already. ;)

Kid, it was sincere. And I'm serious... if I load with "clean" primers and present evidence of such I don't want someone challenging my veracity.

I'm considering a similar issue here in California's "lead-free" hunting zones... I've handloaded and sighted in copper and "gilding metal" rounds for hunting... but how the heck is a warden going to know? A magnet sure won't tell 'im anything. That in mind, I intend to carry a package label with me to present if challenged; if THAT doesn't work I will very clearly state my thoughts on the state of the state. -_-

I'm beyond weary of the "presumed guilty" mentality we so often face these days. <_<

What a bunch of Crap !!! :angry:

"Hey lady, Have I got a deal for you ! A great deal on a slightly used G.W. Bridge !!!" :wacko:

Come on over dis a way, AJ and Painless. Got a indoor shootin range fer dat heathen smokless 1911 shooters....

Shoot all day, but ya got to buy their targets. Gun shop has to make money some how....

Don't worry, der fairless cheap and dey allow maskin' tape to cover da bullet holes !!! ;)

Kid, it was sincere. And I'm serious... if I load with "clean" primers and present evidence of such I don't want someone challenging my veracity.

I'm considering a similar issue here in California's "lead-free" hunting zones... I've handloaded and sighted in copper and "gilding metal" rounds for hunting... but how the heck is a warden going to know? A magnet sure won't tell 'im anything. That in mind, I intend to carry a package label with me to present if challenged; if THAT doesn't work I will very clearly state my thoughts on the state of the state. -_-

I'm beyond weary of the "presumed guilty" mentality we so often face these days. <_<

If I were you, I would look for an email...^_^

Yes. This was my new Sig 1911. We were going to try it out.

But that's okay. I don't want lead to hurt anyone. So I'll just go to an outdoor range, like Wes Thompson's out by Piru. Painless and I can make a day of it, take a lunch, etc., when the temperature is okay for him to go.

So, no, I still haven't shot it. I'm sure it's great. We will one day when the weather out at Piru is cool enough for him. :)

Took painless to shoot 1911 indoors today but I was refused. Said u had normal primers in ammo but require clean primers indoors per EPA, though not w rifles. Said I could do it w their ammo, but price too high. So we walked.

?????

What a mess?

???

So what is a clean primer??

Texas Lizard

Jen a shop up here called Rileys closed their indoor range after about 3 years because of static they were getting from employee(s) about having to do clean up and wearing tyvec suits/breathers etc. Funny thing was when the then state of the art air handling equipment was installed the air coming out was CLEANER then the air going in.

So what is a clean primer??

Texas Lizard

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=376261

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/pdf/msds/msds_w62.pdf

http://www.google.es/patents/about?id=WI4WAAAAEBAJ

They actually make a lot of sense. Those of us who have experienced elevated blood lead levels mostly have primers to thank for them.

Jen this is gotta be a Cal. thing pushed by the almighty EPA. I work part time at a gun shop/indoor range (Ohio) and we have ...uh...duh...EXHAUST FANS that suck all the crap outta there. That's why I think it's a state mandate and the range is tryin to stay in business. I'm afraid they won't last too long though.:wacko:

BTW, Yes there are lead free primers.

Well, I wis them luck. Yes, exhaust fans seem like a good idea. As a shooter, I don't want to breathe it, either, so maybe outdoor is best? Outdoor is fine with me. I prefer outdoors.

The only reason I went sometimes to this indoor one was because it was close. But we'll make a trek to an outdoor one at Piru. Wes Thompson's, I guess. It'll be okay.

Take it for what its worth, I had a blood lead level of 15 before starting at a new local indoor range. After 2 month shooting there, about 3 times a week, I got sick. Asked the doctor to check lead levels and it came back a 41.5 I quit going there and my lead level has dropped back to around a 18. I shot thier range ammo which is full metal jacket. Full metal jacket has an exposed lead base and when the powder burns it vaporizes some of the lead its contacting. They had vents, but they must have not been good enough. Best bet, shoot outdoors.

The best indoor ranges have a very expensive system to create a positive air flow down range. It takes very large air handlers and special filters to clean and move this much air. Also rather expensive to set up and operate. Most of the 25 yard indoor ranges I've seen have exhaust fans and they might sweep the floors up at the end of the day.

The best indoor ranges have a very expensive system to create a positive air flow down range. It takes very large air handlers and special filters to clean and move this much air. Also rather expensive to set up and operate. Most of the 25 yard indoor ranges I've seen have exhaust fans and they might sweep the floors up at the end of the day.

Yep the floors are swept every night. I wear a mask (sometimes) when I sweep but the exhaust fans are still on. Sometimes we leave 'em on all night.

Last time my lead level was checked it was 21.( 1 year ago) I'm gonna get it checked again here real soon.

?????

What a mess?

???

If ya want lead free primers ya only ogot one choice right now,

Fiocchi....

At $58 for 1,500 it works out ta $38.67 per 1K, they are available ONLY for small pistol...

AND they are green in color, so if ya use them anyone can tell immediately they are lead-free.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Sorry to hear this Aunt Jen,

I have not had this problem yet! Being just down the road from ya I would bet it's commin!!!

Frustrating to say the very least!

I gotta go check out Piru! I hear good things bout that place, wait a minute... I just gotta get out to any range!

Hope you get the chance to give that 1911 a shot! You will love it!

Archived