SASS Wire Forum

Federal small pistol magnum primers

Tomboy

Hi,

Can buy these at a good price.

But what the heck is the difference between these and regular small pistol primers? Could I have a pressure problem, or is the difference minor?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom :FlagAm:

You COULD have a pressure problem if your load was already at max pressure levels using a standard primer. But for Cowboy shooting, the difference is almost always minor.

Most folks get a more complete ignition with a mag primer, especially at cold temperatures. I buy the mag primers if the price is same or lower, and shoot 'em up.

The stories from the manufacturers vary about what is the real difference between standard and mag primers. Some tell us that mag primers have a thicker cup metal to withstand higher pressures of magnum type loads. Some tell us the mag primers have a more potent primer compound or more of the compound so that heavy loads of slow burning powders will be ignited better. It's hard to lay down in stone the EXACT differences in a particular manufacturer's primer line. They even change how they do their primer manufacturing sometimes (aka Winchester).

(With shotshell primers, though, the primer makes quite a bit of pressure difference. Use exactly what the loading data calls for with shotshells)

Good luck, GJ

Hi,

Can buy these at a good price.

But what the heck is the difference between these and regular small pistol primers? Could I have a pressure problem, or is the difference minor?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom :FlagAm:

Federal Small Pistol Magnums is all I use for cowboy in both rifle and pistol. Had to use up a bunch of regular small pistol first and the last few hundred rounds got mixed together. could not tell them apart by feel. I would think unless your load is near max to start with it would not make much, if any difference.

I am neither a ballistician or an expert on chemical explosives so YMMV

I did once sleep at a Holiday Inn though :lol:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I have a pard who swears by them when you are shooting light cowboy loads of trail boss. Something about more complete iginition. I just bought a couple of thousand Federal magnum small pistol primers to try out in my 38 special loads. Since the price was the same, and they all go bang, my guess is I didn't waste any money and who knows they might help. I sure don't see where they will cause any problems in lightly loaded cowboy bullets. Again the price of the magnum and regular Federal small pistol primers is the same, so why not give them a try. I am also going to try Federal magnum large pistol primers in my 45 colt reloads. Again they are the same price and again who knows I might get better ignition in light loads.

I am a little concerned about using them in 45 ACP loads. Any thoughts on magnum pistol primers in 45 ACP at medium and higher loads?

I am a little concerned about using them in 45 ACP loads. Any thoughts on magnum pistol primers in 45 ACP at medium and higher loads?

Exactly the same thought I wrote in an earlier post - which was:

You COULD have a pressure problem if your load was already at max pressure levels using a standard primer.

If you are looking at most WB loads with lead slugs, though, those normally don't run at the max pressure levels, either.

Good luck, GJ

Here's the result of a test I did a while back:

10 rounds each, Uberti 20” Carbine (.38 Spl., 125 Gr. RNFP, Clays, 0.3 Gr. < Max.)

Primer Type, Average (Mean), Extreme Spread, Standard Deviation

Federal Standard, 969, 38, 12

Federal Magnum, 976, 55, 14

Same data as above, dropping high and low velocity (8 rounds)

Primer Type, Average (Mean), Extreme Spread, Standard Deviation

Federal Standard, 970, 25, 11

Federal Magnum, 975, 23, 7

Archived