SASS Wire Forum

Cap & Ball conversion cylindar questions

Holden A. Grudge

A who’s doing it and how is it going question:

I am seriously thinking about a cartridge conversion for a couple of my cap and ball pistols.

Want to use my 51 Navies and the .38 conversions. And yes I understand the need for HBWC bullets.

The questions are:

Anybody using the conversion cylinders that require you to pull the wedge to load for CAS? Any adverse affects to pulling the wedge over and over in a match setting?

Where are you buying your bullets?

Do the wadcutters have to be loaded so they stick out of the top of the case a little? (read somewhere this is a SASS rule)

If I decide to go with the loading gate type cylinders, what would it cost me to have the recoil shield opened up to accommodate the loading gate? (not so much handy with the metal working tools)

Any and all info and advice would be helpful.

Go here and post your question. This is a conversion forum and the largest manufacturer of conversion parts monitors the forum and answers a lot of questions.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,56.0.html

What Jack said about the fit AND loading c&b Colts at a SASS table is much easier than trying to do it in the field. I will soon start working on the same project BUT my Pietta Navy is one of the short barl 44 sheriffs models that will convert to the 45 cartridges. A pretend gun but I sure do like it.

A who’s doing it and how is it going question:

I am seriously thinking about a cartridge conversion for a couple of my cap and ball pistols.

Want to use my 51 Navies and the .38 conversions. And yes I understand the need for HBWC bullets.

The questions are:

Do the wadcutters have to be loaded so they stick out of the top of the case a little? (read somewhere this is a SASS rule)

NO.

• Ammunition with bullets recessed below the case mouth is disallowed.
SHB p.12

I shoot conversions a lot. The wedge is no big deal. After a while you can load a fast as anyone with a "regular" wheel gun. As far as just, or must use HBWC's, didn't know that one. Must have been doing it wrong for a long time now. I use RNFP with nary a hiccup.

I shoot conversions a lot. The wedge is no big deal. After a while you can load a fast as anyone with a "regular" wheel gun. As far as just, or must use HBWC's, didn't know that one. Must have been doing it wrong for a long time now. I use RNFP with nary a hiccup.

Wouldn't be the first time I heard something that may or may not be true. It was my understanding that with the conversions of the .36 caliber (with a .375 barrel) that the .38 bullet (.357") would end up wobbling down the barrel and this would affect accuracy. The idea that the hollow based wadcutter will expand to fill the gap is the general idea I think.

But hey, if the RNFP is working for ya then what do I know. :lol:

Go here and post your question. This is a conversion forum and the largest manufacturer of conversion parts monitors the forum and answers a lot of questions.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,56.0.html

Well how about that. Just went and looked and it looks like Slowhand asked the same thing pretty much. Thanks Larson for the steer in that direction.

I added a bit more over on CAS but I do have several options (including cash flow) that are still slowing me down on this. One idea was to sell my early Cimmaron RM Army Conversions to finance the job but several fokes have got me thinking. The consensus has been that I was selling a better set of guns for a much more expensive option though I really like the feel of the Pietta Navy grip over that of the SAA grip as used by Uberti. (I changed the whole grip frame out on the RM Conversions to the SAA size.)

Archived