SASS Wire Forum

Talk about your CAS brain fades...

Y’all are gonna LOVE this one.

I get up on Saturday, 8-6-11 for the monthly match at River Bend. I’m getting all my gear together, but for some reason, I am very disorganized, even for me. I get up to the gun club and start unloading the car. Get the cart out, put the ammo box in the cart. Open up the first gun case, take out shotgun, put it in the cart. Open u the second gun case…

…and pull out another shotgun.

I LEFT MY @#$%&%&*# RIFLE AT THE HOUSE!

Too late to go back to house and get rifle. Pack the car back up, go home.

Some days, it just don’t pay to get out of bed.

Y’all can stop laughing now.

No, sorry, I really can't stop laughing :D

Wow, that sucks.

Closest I ever came to that I was just about to get in the car to leave for a 15 hour drive to a regional and I realized the guns were still in the garage.

I wont call no names but at a shoot at Orange ,one of my Pard got his cart out got his gun out and ammo out but he looked for all his leathers it was not there.I carry 3 sets so the only ones that would fit him was the ones I use all the time.Gave him the ones I had on and got out a set and we had a great shoot.I pack the night before.I have lots of time to think and go back and get something I forgot.

Yup, I pack the car the night before as well, including extra leather and ammo enough for another shooter. I need to get another gun belt though, last two new shooters I helped out the loaner belt was too small for. Anyone got an extra gunbelt laying around they want to donate?

Then like the others here, morning of the match all I have to put in the car is the cooler and the guns and me.

Rode down to the Mima shoot last year, with Willie. I pack my stuff and drive down to his house

and meet there. It is on the way. Well, we loaded up gun cart, rifle, shotgun, ammunition box and head out. When we go to unload my pistol bag with leather is in the truck, back at Willie's house.

Shadow Catcher and Willie offered me a set to shoot with, but I just waddied that day.

You just can not fix stupid.

Yup, I pack the car the night before as well, including extra leather and ammo enough for another shooter. I need to get another gun belt though, last two new shooters I helped out the loaner belt was too small for. Anyone got an extra gunbelt laying around they want to donate?

Then like the others here, morning of the match all I have to put in the bar is the cooler and the guns and me.

Make up some short extenders - a little leather strapping with some holes punched in it, a buckle, a few rivets, and you are good to go.

Nice little freudian slip there, Grizz.

Couldn't you have just borrowed a rifle instead of having to go home?

I also pack everything the night before and put everything but the gun cases in the car. That way in the morning, all I have to do is put the gun cases in the car.

A couple of shooters mentioned that as well. But at River Bend, we normally have only 5 or 6 BP shooters. And I'm the only one I know up there that shoots 45LC in BP. All the other BP shooters use either 38 or 44-40. That, and I'm very hesitant when it comes to asking people if I can borrow something like their guns. I just don't like doing it.

Not Sass but..... One year I was out Elk huntin with a .300WinMag, and tromped way up on a mountian top before daylight, as the sun started to peak over the montian tops, I went to load up the rifle, and , yup the ammo was still back in camp, warm and toasty. I had a great day with the spotting scope and bugle. Was way to far back to camp to hike out and back in again. Thats why its HUNTING and not shooting. Still enjoyed the day.

Then like the others here, morning of the match all I have to put in the car is the cooler and the guns and me.

+1

from Capt'n George Baylor

Cowboy Action Shooting

Pre-Match Preparation Checklist

Firearms Vehicle

Pistol One S/N Gun Cases

Pistol Two S/N Gun Locks with Keys (Optional)

Rifle S/N Cash

Shotgun S/N Checkbook (Optional)

Gun Cart Clothing

Ammo (Vary Amounts For Match) Hat

100 Rounds Pistol Shirt/Blouse

100 Rounds Rifle Pants/Skirt

50 Rounds Shotgun Boots/Brogans/Shoes

Empty Hull/Brass Bag Socks

Sun Umbrella Gloves

Folding Chair/Stool Gun Leather

Notepad with Pen and/or Black Marker Gun Belt

Camera, Disposable or Digital (Optional) Holster 1

Towels/Baby Wipes Holster 2

Food/Snacks Pistol Ammo Slide (Optional)

Water Bottle/Drinks Shotgun Ammo Slide (Optional)

Sunblock/Insect Repellent Shotgun Ammo Belt (Optional)

First Aid Kit/Snake Bit Kit Prescription Eyeglasses (If Needed)

Band Aids Bandanna/Neckerchief (Optional)

Burn Lotion Suspenders (Optional)

Compress Bandage Leggings (Optional)

Gauze Tape Knife (Optional)

Sunglasses (Optional) Pocket Watch (Optional)

Trash Bag/Gun Covers Badge (Optional)

Gun Cleaning Kit/Armorer’s Kit Coat/Raingear (Based on Weather)

Rags/Patches

Bore Solvent/Lead Solvent Optional Personal Items

Bore Brush (Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun)

Cleaning Rod with Caliber Adapters

Screwdriver Set/Leatherman Tool

Brass Hammer

Center Punch Set/Hex Wrench Set

Shooting Bag/Carry-All Bag

Eye Protection

Hearing Protection

Timer w/ Spare Batteries (Optional)

This checklist is by no means complete or all encompassing. It should be altered by anyone to meet one’s personal needs. The author neither takes nor accepts any responsibility for any actions or events resulting from using this checklist while preparing one’s gear to attend a Cowboy Action Shooting Match.

-_-

2002 EOT we're all finished for the entire match. We're some of the last folk hanging out in the parking lot, when a fella drives in towing his

AirStream wanting to know if this is a good place to park, and is he too early?

Yeah, you could say his face fell some when he found out he missed it by a whole week!

My first mule camp I bolted a security cabinet in the back of the truck, loaded my guns and gear and headed to Gawja. Got there with everything but the key to the security cabinet-oops. Had to be a safecracker to get to my guns. LOL Your stupidity is not even in the running.

2002 EOT we're all finished for the entire match. We're some of the last folk hanging out in the parking lot, when a fella drives in towing his

AirStream wanting to know if this is a good place to park, and is he too early?

Yeah, you could say his face fell some when he found out he missed it by a whole week!

That might be more than a body could take. :(

I did go deer huntin' onct and left my rifle at home. :angry: After our cabin burned down at our "farm" Dad bought a 24' travel trailer. I took the trailer home to clean and restock it, took my .30/06 out for safety, and forgot to put it back in when we left.

Probably my best SASS brain f*rt, I was at the line shootin' hot and heavy, grabbed my '73, and in short order, discovered I forgot to load it. :( Not to be outdone, I started shuckin' ca'tridges out of my pistol belt (I refuse not to finish a stage if humanly possible if it takes me 10 minutes). I carry a .45/70 dummy in the middle of my cartridge belt a la my hero John Wayne. When I got back to the gang, Bully commented "Dang. I was sure hoping to watch you try to load that .45/70 in that rifle!" :P

JHC

At the Georgia State match this year, I showed up at Riverbend bright and early. I didn't forget anything, except for the key to the antique padlock on my gun cart. I had loaded up the gun cart with all my ammo and gadgets before I left home and put the padlock on it to keep it from blowing open in the back of the truck.

Fortunately, Dirt Merchant was there carving on some SKB shotgun innards and saved me with his fancy cutting wheel.

Oh man, you mean all these years I should have been taking a skirt and blouse? :blush: I am so embarrassed now.

It would be better than those fish net stockings you wear! :o :o :o

I had to give up wearing those, they kept getting tangled in all my leg hair. And no, I am NOT going to shave my legs so I can wear them again!

I've forgetten my holsters twice, but the best :blink: brain fade I pulled was a state level match. It was hot and humid and I was working the unload table when I recognized that one of the other shooters needed to sit and drink water. I told him to take over, to sit down and drink water and I took over whatever chores he was doing. Next stage I go up to the line, load the rifle, cap the pistols and made sure I had enough shotgun ammo. I go up, shoot the shotgun, shoot the rifle and move down range to shoot the pistols. I pull the first cap & ball gun out, cock the hammer, pull trigger and get a pop. Well, getting a pop is something that happens to cap & ball shooters. Cock the gun and pull the trigger, again a pop. Say a bad word, because 2 pop and no bangs in a row is a bit unusual for me. Pull the hammer back the third time and pull the trigger, it goes pop again. At this point a little voice, which apparently had been taking a nap again, says "Did you remember to reload the pistols after you shot the last stage?" At this point the RO is laughing because he had realized what I had done before I did. I proceed to fire the last 2 caps of the first pistol and drew the second pistol and fired all 5 caps from that and proceeded to the unload table where the person manning it is laughing really hard. The next day the posse presented me with a new badge that said "Empty Chamber Chantry" to commemorate my stage. 10+ years of shooting SASS and I find a new way to train wreck a stage.

My first mule camp I bolted a security cabinet in the back of the truck, loaded my guns and gear and headed to Gawja. Got there with everything but the key to the security cabinet-oops. Had to be a safecracker to get to my guns. LOL Your stupidity is not even in the running.

This one is so funny to me. About 15 years ago I took some Locksmithing course for when I work construction At that particular time the guy I was working for paid me 5 buck more then anyone else because I was technically a certified locksmith. I do remember how to pick locks but thats about it

Archived