SASS Wire Forum

Stainless or Blue?

"Pop" Dawson

Howdy

Yes, vinegar will remove blue. It will remove the colors of case hardening too. 50/50 mix or vinegar and windex is way too much vinegar. I never allow vinegar anywhere near my guns.

A little bit late to comment now, but I'll tell you what I do to prepare a gun for shooting Black Powder. Granted, once I start shooting them with Black Powder I only shoot Black Powder in them from then on. So if you are going to be going back and forth between BP and Smokeless your procedure may be different. If I am going to dedicate a gun to BP I completely disassemble it. Then I go over the entire gun and all the internal parts with a strong solvent. Every thing except the wood parts. Paint thinner, lacquer thinner, what ever I have on hand. This completely removes all oils right down to the bare metal. Then I relubricate the gun with Ballistol. All subsequent cleaning of the gun is with my favorite water based Black Powder solvent, followed up by lubing with Ballistol.

I do this with used guns that have been shot with Smokeless and with brand new guns that may have only had a couple of proof rounds put through them. But like I say, once my guns go Black, they never go back again. All subsequent cleaning will be with Murphy's Mix followed by lubing with Ballistol.

If I ever happened to fire a few Smokeless rounds through one of these guns, I would not hesitate to clean with some Murphy's followed by Ballistol.

I have never considered going back and forth with different propellants in the same guns.

Howdy

Yes, vinegar will remove blue. It will remove the colors of case hardening too. 50/50 mix or vinegar and windex is way too much vinegar. I never allow vinegar anywhere near my guns.

A little bit late to comment now, but I'll tell you what I do to prepare a gun for shooting Black Powder. Granted, once I start shooting them with Black Powder I only shoot Black Powder in them from then on. So if you are going to be going back and forth between BP and Smokeless your procedure may be different. If I am going to dedicate a gun to BP I completely disassemble it. Then I go over the entire gun and all the internal parts with a strong solvent. Every thing except the wood parts. Paint thinner, lacquer thinner, what ever I have on hand. This completely removes all oils right down to the bare metal. Then I relubricate the gun with Ballistol. All subsequent cleaning of the gun is with my favorite water based Black Powder solvent, followed up by lubing with Ballistol.

I do this with used guns that have been shot with Smokeless and with brand new guns that may have only had a couple of proof rounds put through them. But like I say, once my guns go Black, they never go back again. All subsequent cleaning will be with Murphy's Mix followed by lubing with Ballistol.

If I ever happened to fire a few Smokeless rounds through one of these guns, I would not hesitate to clean with some Murphy's followed by Ballistol.

I have never considered going back and forth with different propellants in the same guns.

Well, we'll see what happens. I did her guns with the vinegar/windex and mine with Murphy's Mix................ lol.

Might have to buy her new guns. She'll not have ugly guns.........

Archived