SASS Wire Forum

I don't have a lot of money to spend and am looking at getting a 1911 for plinking or maybe trying WB shooting. It seems like a lot of the versions (Rock Island, Taylors, Cimmeron, High Standard, Charles Daily) are all made by Armscor. Are there any differences between these brand guns as far as quality or is it all features? Are the Armscor guns worth owning or am I just going to have problems with one?

Thanks for the advice.

There are plenty of smarter 1911 guys than me.

But we have sold LOTS of the various Armscor 1911 firearms through our shop and I have nothing too negative to say about them.

1911's are a bit like small block Chevy's. They are a pretty good platform out of the box, but the great part is all of the amazing things you can do with them.

Armscor guns are Colt compliant so anything you find to do with them is ok.

No re-engineering to make things work like some 1911 "clones".

But they will work "As designed" (meaning 230 grain hardball) out of the box and be satisfactory.

Anything more than that may require smithing or modifications to work properly.

But that is not a slam, as the same can be said about numerous other (higher priced) brands as well.

I would not hesitate to recommend Armscor (especially the Rock Island, because of the price), if you get too much above the Rock Island price, then I would lean toward others (no good reason other than prejudice, just would rather have a Remington or a Springfield than a same priced Armscor)

IMHO, you can do a little better with a Springfield Armory gun for not much more money, and gain an EXCELLENT backing by their service folks should the need ever arise. My SA GI series gun had issues when new, honestly I was POed, but they fixed it FAR better than expected, upgraded to a match barrel, tuned the side to frame fit, and made it shoot dead on POA all for free. Not bad for a gun I paid only a little over $400 for.

I have 2 RIA and love them .. they ain't purity..but..they run like a top !!! If you buy a Rock Island you will have to change the grips....Stock Rock grips are just plan Ugly

I LOVE my ROCK :wub:

+1 Me too! :)

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I sure hope they're good pistols. :rolleyes:

I am ordering 75+ for our unit's OEF commerative pistol.

Mustang Gregg

Got two, one plain GI & the other high polish blue with all the trimmins. Love em both. The folks at Armscor in the Phillipines know how to build a quality 1911.

IMHO, you can do a little better with a Springfield Armory gun for not much more money, and gain an EXCELLENT backing by their service folks should the need ever arise. My SA GI series gun had issues when new, honestly I was POed, but they fixed it FAR better than expected, upgraded to a match barrel, tuned the side to frame fit, and made it shoot dead on POA all for free. Not bad for a gun I paid only a little over $400 for.

I disagree! We have the Rock Island and it is a great and very accurate 1911. Son tried an impossible shot with it shooting at the bit part of a key, not the head, and hit it on his first shot. Springfield has lousy customer service! They do not stand behind their 1911's in spite of their own tecninican saying the gun was at fault. Buyer Beware!

Crosscut Jack

Many people seem happy with their Rock Island guns. Is there a difference between them and some of the others made by Armscor such as High Standard or the Cimmeron, or is the only difference the importer?

I don't know about other importers, but the Armscor 1911 made for Cimarron is made to their specs and is designed to be more authentic to WW1 era, with a 1911 (not A1) frame, lanyard ring, double diamond wood grips, proper patent markings, and the option of the high polish.

I don't know about other importers, but the Armscor 1911 made for Cimarron is made to their specs and is designed to be more authentic to WW1 era, with a 1911 (not A1) frame, lanyard ring, double diamond wood grips, proper patent markings, and the option of the high polish.

I like my Cimarron/Rock Island/Armscor. :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/grizzly3674/1911/P1000543.jpg

Note the period (Not A1) frame and high polish.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/grizzly3674/1911/P1000544.jpg

Perfect for SASS WBAS. :)

I agree with A.J. Not only is the S.A. made of forged not cast steel it is a excellent base gun if you decided to customize it later on.

Has anyone replaced the extractor on their Armscor pistol yet? The one I briefly owned had a non-standard extractor tunnel. It did shoot though!

I picked up a High Standard in June. So far, I'm pleased with it, BUT: 1. It's my first 1911, so I can't offer any comparison with other makers; 2) I've only put 50 rounds through it (with only one FTF).

Is it as purdy as that Cimarron? Nope. But I didn't buy it for looks.

I have an Armscore made for Cimarron. Full nickel plate "Pimp Gun" like the one carried by the bad guy in "The Untouchables."

When new it refused to feed anything but hardball from full mag. Fixed that and it now runs WB ammo like grain they a Goose. Nice gun for the bucks. Really nothing negative for a gun built close to WWI specs.

I had a Rock Island. Gave it to my son-in-law and then I went out and bought a Springfield 1911 Mil-spec. Come to find out, the Rock Island shoots better than the Springfield...no matter who is shooting it. Hmmph. My son-in-law says he won't give it back. He also says he's never going to sell it. It's a sweet shooter.

Just goes to show that cost of the gun isn't always the deciding factor when it comes to accuracy.

Has anyone replaced the extractor on their Armscor pistol yet? The one I briefly owned had a non-standard extractor tunnel. It did shoot though!

I changed the one in my Rock mil spec ...not because it needed it but because my smith was doing a throat & polish had some sort of custom one and asked me if I wanted to test drive it so I said why not....I can't see a dimes worth of differences between the two

At the gun shop I work at part time we have sold lots of Rock Islands, Armscors, etc. Made in the Phillipines these are good shooters and maybe a couple that had to be worked on slightly, polishing etc. I'm about to buy one for WB so I don't hafta beat up my Colt series 80 Gov't model. Rye B) B)

My Rock Island shot factory 230 ball out of the box with no problem. No other ammo would feed. Spent $110.00 on a local gunsmith to repair the numerous problems. It now shoots anything and is accurate. Worth the money and repair cost. BTW---- their 1911's are guaranteed to shoot only factory ball 230gr

My Rock Island shot factory 230 ball out of the box with no problem. No other ammo would feed. Spent $110.00 on a local gunsmith to repair the numerous problems. It now shoots anything and is accurate. Worth the money and repair cost. BTW---- their 1911's are guaranteed to shoot only factory ball 230gr

I have seldom come across any 1911 that would shoot all the different types of ammo.

RI is a good value, but you still will need a 1911 guy to smooth it out. I paid $100 for each of mine. They will feed and shoot all shapes and weights of lead. I also had different sights put on. None adjustable type, just a little thicket and wider. Lots easier to aquire for WB.

PS. Seen lots of guys spend big money on 1911's and still have then polished and smoothed out to feed all ammo types.

Good luck

Ringer

Oh ya, the $100 included having the factory trigger pull litend up. That makes a big difference!!!

Archived