SASS Wire Forum

Hyperacidity or Starvation?

Aunt Jen

Oh my goodness:

So if you want to reduce heartburn, http://www.healthtalkbuzz.com/2011/06/foods-that-causes-hyperacidity.html

And I'm, like, wondering: what foods are left? DC foods with fats, acidic fruits, sugars, spices, probably also anything with tyramine, and no alcohol, either. There goes

2. burgers
  3. hot dogs
  4. nachos
  5. pizza (except Griz' pizza, of course)
  6. steak
  7. BBQ
  8. Snickers
  9. oranges
  10. apples
  11. chocolate sundaes
  12. cheeses
  13. cayenne pepper
  14. a lot of mexican foods
  15. strawberry margaritas
  16. spaghetti
  17. tomatoes

XXX?????

Is a person supposed to live on bananas? Are you kidding me? :angry:

That is why Tums are so popular.

But more to the point: The lining of the stomach normally produces hydrochloric acid. The problem of hyperacidity is the over-production of acid that is the result of stress, defects in the secretory systems and so on. Acidic foods alone are not the actual cause but just make it worse overcoming the protective mucus secreted in stomach. The acid/food mixture in the stomach enters the small intestine and is quickly neutralized by secreted bicarbonate (from normal respiratory function) in order for digestion to occur.

Actually a mix of alkaline type foods (especially milk) combined with acidic foods would help reduce problems but medication may be necessary.

DD

Jug of TUMS next to the bed sitting beside the flashlight and .45 auto. If I stopped eating things that give me heartburn I'd be dead in four days!

Bodine

Oh my goodness:

So if you want to reduce heartburn, http://www.healthtalkbuzz.com/2011/06/foods-that-causes-hyperacidity.html

And I'm, like, wondering: what foods are left? DC foods with fats, acidic fruits, sugars, spices, probably also anything with tyramine, and no alcohol, either. There goes

2. burgers
  3. hot dogs
  4. nachos
  5. pizza (except Griz' pizza, of course)
  6. steak
  7. BBQ
  8. Snickers
  9. oranges
  10. apples
  11. chocolate sundaes
  12. cheeses
  13. cayenne pepper
  14. a lot of mexican foods
  15. strawberry margaritas
  16. spaghetti
  17. tomatoes

XXX?????

Is a person supposed to live on bananas? Are you kidding me? :angry:

Keep eating what you enjoy. This article if full of misinformation. Hyperacidity is really a misnomer. Most people make normal amounts of stomach acid. There are some RARE syndromes where people make too much stomach acid, but I have seen only one or two in my career. Why we lower stomach acid with meds like prilosec is to reduce the ph of stomach contents when they reflux into the esophagus. If people have severe heartburn, they should avoid orange juice or tomato juice because they are hyperosmolar and may lower the pressure in the muscle between the stomach and esophagus. There are no foods that are more acidic than what your stomach makes itself. Alcohol has been proven to speed up the healing of duodenal ulcers.

If I can't eat a deep fried Snickers then I just won't eat. The condition I'm in it would take a couple years for me to starve to death anyway. :P I'll take some real liquid food, milk and beer. Not necessarily in that order. Or at the same time. Oh heck, just give me a beer. That usually cures my heartburn.

Some day taking a prilosec for years can even cause intestinal cancer because u remove acid that kills bacteria that can then cause cancer. Then others say if u don't take prilosec, the acid in esophagus can cause cancer.

Durned if u do or if u don't.

Stress is bad too??

So I will just have to meditate on being a beautiful little flower by the beach in Hawaii, while I eat bananas, rice, n plain potatoes d rest of my life. Take anti-oxidants and don't breathe much. Take glucosamine for joints. Do yoga.---then BANG clang BANG no-clang because it's my turn---then wrap myself in plastic to have sex, drive 55, and never take another shower (most dangerous place in the world).

Familiar w the idea of diverting an asteroid? Little bit earlier on better than a lot at the last minute.

So I'm just a consumer wondering how to live long.

iPhone

Some day taking a prilosec for years can even cause intestinal cancer because u remove acid that kills bacteria that can then cause cancer. Then others say if u don't take prilosec, the acid in esophagus can cause cancer.

Durned if u do or if u don't.

Stress is bad too??

So I will just have to meditate on being a beautiful little flower by the beach in Hawaii, while I eat bananas, rice, n plain potatoes d rest of my life. Take anti-oxidants and don't breathe much. Take glucosamine for joints. Do yoga.---then BANG clang BANG no-clang because it's my turn---then wrap myself in plastic to have sex, drive 55, and never take another shower (most dangerous place in the world).

Familiar w the idea of diverting an asteroid? Little bit earlier on better than a lot at the last minute.

So I'm just a consumer wondering how to live long.

iPhone

Aunt Jen,

Taking Prilosec doesn't stop acid production, it merely decreases it. Over the years there have been concerns regarding increased lung infections on people taking prilosec, but so far it doesn't seem to warrant stopping the med unless you have severe COPD. The risk of esophageal cancer in women who are none smokers and who have esophageal reflux also is low. If you have had heartburn several times a week for 5 years talk to your physician about having an endoscopy. If you don't have Barrett's esophagus (pre-cancerous tissue) now you probably never will get cancer. I like the idea of living life to the fullest with less worry!

Aunt Jen,

Taking Prilosec doesn't stop acid production, it merely decreases it. Over the years there have been concerns regarding increased lung infections on people taking prilosec, but so far it doesn't seem to warrant stopping the med unless you have severe COPD. The risk of esophageal cancer in women who are none smokers and who have esophageal reflux also is low. If you have had heartburn several times a week for 5 years talk to your physician about having an endoscopy. If you don't have Barrett's esophagus (pre-cancerous tissue) now you probably never will get cancer. I like the idea of living life to the fullest with less worry!

Well, hey, Wildcat: thank you! That's really helpful.

But I don't need an ENDoscopy. Passed on of those a few years ago. It's the oral end I'm thinking of. :blush::)

Oh! Oh, I see. Sorry. :blush:

No, I'm kidding. Yes, thanks for your help.! :lol::excl:

An' mebbe some tofu an' grape leaves? :blink:

R3B

:lol: :lol:

I've been taking prilosec since it hit the market. It may kill me, but I was ready to kill myself before prilosec. I figure the last dozen or so years has been worth it. Did the other purple one that heals(?) throat tissue for awhile, then was told to go back to prilosec. It's a wonder drug if you ask me. Would not want to live without it.

Archived