SASS Wire Forum

New and Beginning Shooters Classes

Red HayMaker

The Cowboys in Norco, CA has a New Shooters Class and a Beginning Shooters Class. The New Shooters Class is for the person off the street that has heard of CAS and just wants to know more. I teach the Beginner CAS Class at The Cowboys and at Cajon Cowboys in Devore CA that takes the person who got the bug and starts them on the next steps of their journey.

Typically, those teaching the classes provide the guns. The Club provides (for a fee) ammo or the shooter can buy ammo there at the shoot for the class.

The Cowboys and Cajon Cowboys have had a new shooters clinic or class for a long time. I started the Beginner Shooters Class at The Cowboys about 2 years ago and started teaching at Cajon Cowboys a little over a year ago. I get an average of 6 shooter per class per month.

I see a need for the beginning shooter class in that the Beginning shooter gets to shoot colt clones, ruger vaqueros, double barrels and 97s; and 92s, Marlins and 73s before ever buying them. They get to experience the pros and cons of each and get an understanding of the cost. The beginning shooter gets to see and learn what they should look for in leather, shotshell holders (belts), holters etc. Is shown how to wear holters. And, they are taught how to properly draw and shoot pistols from the holster. They are taught proper form in shooting long guns and the latest in techniques in how to shoot rifles and the shotgun of their choice.

So here are the questions: Are any other clubs holding similar classes? Is there a class syllabus? Would you share the syllabus> How about a discussion of what should be taught in the course? Also talk about costs for the class? Finally, is there an interest in getting these classes started in other clubs?

Guest diablo slim shootist

We have done this with great success

(40 shooters showed up)

We supplied guns and some ammo.They could purchase more

if they wanted (even new guns from a vendor)

Each club member talked about a different aspect of the game for

a few min. and we split up in posse's and let them try as many

guns as possible. We kept the cost as low as possible and put out

flyers every where with R.S.V.P. Cabellas was very interested in what

we were doing and send us new people all the time.We plan to do this

every spring and fall. ;)

Buffalo Range Riders in Edgewood NM is getting ready to hold our second new shooter clinic of the year. Typical material covered includes:

* origin of the sport

* safety rules - and Safety first and foremost

* how a posse and a match work

* rules - briefly

* scoring - briefly

* typical guns and ammo used

* typical targets used and names of sweeps encountered

* a chance to load, unload and shoot guns for function - lever action, single action, and SxS and pump shotgun

* a chance to shoot a "stage" - two or thee targets of each type (normally we use 22s for pistols and rifles to keep noise and expense down)

* how to get into the sport easily and less expensively (the fine art of borrowing and clothes hunting)

* categories, dress, other equipment, etc

* and most importantly, that CAS is a social sport and chance to make good friends as much as is about shooting

* how to contact local clubs and when they shoot

Takes 2 1/2 to three hours, and we don't allow more than 12 persons in a class, and two or three "instructors".

Good luck, GJ

(next class scheduled for the morning of Sept 3rd; if anyone is interested drop me a PM).

Chuckaroo has one of the best, if not the best, outlines for this kind of class on the website for the Damascus Wildlife Rangers. Here is a link.

http://damascusiwla.org/dwr/clinicoutline.html

One thing I recommend is that first thing, try to have some cowboys shoot a stage in front of clinic attendees while you explain what is happening. That way, while in the class, and you talk about loading table or staging guns, they have an idea of what you are talking about.

BD

Red, we take a little more simple approach, but it seems to be effective. We require new shooters to read the Shooter's Handbook ahead of time -- this eliminates a lot of questions, and it encourages them to ask about items they don't understand. Then we literally walk them from their cart to the loading table, to the line, to the unloading table, and back to their cart in slow motion, explaining pitfalls along the way. We then have them shoot two stages to help build their confidence, with two of us watching them like hawks. We point out their errors in a relaxed manner, because we don't want to make an already nervous shooter even more nervous, nor do we want to discourage them. At their first match, we pair the new shooter with a seasoned shooter, plus we highlight their score card in red so that the everyone knows they are a new shooter as well. It works well for us, but we usually only have around three new shooters per class, so we can devote a lot of close attention to the new shooters.

Red HayMaker,

The link to the New Shooters Clinic Outline is just the outline. In our class, we have pictures, shown on a screen, that explain everything in a visual way. Then they see it during the range portion of the class.

It includes photos of each posse assignment, stage layout, gun staging, costuming, gun types etc.

If you are at this years Convention, I will be holding a class on how to recruit new members and put on a New Shooters Clinic. Unlimited free seminars for all of the other great presentations.

Roo

When I visisted the Cowboys in Norco I was very impressed with this class...more clubs should do it for new shooters, old shooters, community memebers...basically anyone who might find interest in learning our sport (with the aim to rope in more shooters)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I started a new shooter orientation session at our Az club several years ago, the afternoon before our monthly shoot. This class starts assuming the shooter has not shot a gun before but many new shooters have already done so and many have shot a lot-they are usually the worst students. First I quickly review our club and SASS safety rules, take them through gun selection/options, leather selection/options, ammo and where to acquire, reloading if interested, how to properly draw from a holster, bring the gun to the target, reholster, how to properly mount and lever a rifle, how to properly load,mount and shoot a double and a 97, even sometimes an 87 shotgun, teaching them to do it slowly but correctly. Then I walk them through a stage so it is not completely new to them. Then I have them shoot all the guns off a table teaching things like sight picture, properly loading and unloading guns with live ammo and finally allowing them to shoot off a table. We start slow with only a few shots from each gun, and build to a shorter stage. Those shooters that have their own guns, leather and ammo may shoot/use them. Others shoot my provided guns and ammo and sometimes leather. We combine this shooting with practice for club members so we usually have help with the shooting part. When done we can usually get someone that has never shot before in a position they can safely shoot the match the next day with a bit of mentoring and borrowed equipment/ammo if needed. The orientation takes about 3 hours depending on number of shooters that can vary from one to eight or so. We hold this class in the 7 winter months when it is not so hot. The point of this is to get them started in the right direction and with the right techniques and equipment. We have a whole section of our club web site with information for new shooters. http://www.riosaladocowboys.com/newShooter.php

To give a better understanding of The Cowboys classes; we have two classes a New Shooters Class and Red's Beginning Shooters Class.

The New Shooters Class is very similar to some of the above. We hold the class during our regular shoots, it takes anywhere from 4 to 6 hours to give the class depending on the number of shooters. We have had as many as 30 shooters in the class. The class discusses SASS, safety, categories, clothes, guns, rules and finally ends up with the new shooter shooting a pistol from the table, then a rifle and finally a shotgun. This includes basic instruction of sight picture, proper form and allows them to shoot each gun. Next is a chance to shoot a simple stage. One pistol, rifle and shotgun. We show them the various types of leather, guns and discuss issues with each gun and good points including costs. We take a break at lunch and encourage the new shooter to go watch the stages being shot at a safe distance.

Red's Beginning Shooters Class is a lot different than the New Shooters Class. I have a regular outline for what I teach but will go through the basic here.

1. Discuss SASS and range rules: 170, loaded gun always, basic gun safety, basic match rules - misses, stage dq, procedurals, and safeties; explain the unloading and loading table systems.

2. I try to get each student in leather at the beginning of the day. This includes a shotshell belt and holsters. If the student is going to use two strong sides, I fit them with 2 strong sides. I mainly teach cross draw holsters at first.

3. We start with pistols and I discuss each type a ruger or colt clone and provide depending on what they are going to shoot. I then demonstrate how to align with a target properly when using a cross draw and work on the crossdraw dance. If two strong sides, I demonstrate how to do that properly. We then line up at tables in front of targets, each with their own target (bullseye in middle) each student checks each other's pistols to ensure empty and then as a group we practice drawing and dry firing each pistol (one cycle) and then holster. We do this using a timer. I work with each student to make sure they have proper form and draw and address the target properly; I work on proper habits including grip. I use methods that Long Hunter shows on his videos here. Drawing, bringing pistol up to chest and pushing it out from chest while cocking - Site picture, hold, trigger pull. After I am comfortable that each student can do this safely; we work the same practice with live fire. On the clock from high surrender position.

4. We move to rifles, discuss each rifle from 92, Marlins, 73s. Discuss the pros and cons and cost of each.I try to have them shoot the rifle they will be buying. I show them how we shoot rifles, elbow down - no thumb wrap etc. We work from port arms, off table, and verticle when possible. I have them shoot several times (6 rounds 3 targets) 2 sweeps from the left until they are comfortable and get the form (bring rifle to cheek, lever when rifle is secure on shoulder.

5. Next is shotguns, discuss doubles and 97, show them how to load each (how Tbone does it for doubles), how to single load from right with 97. I have them shoot the shotgun they intend to buy or let them shoot both to help them choose. We work mainly from portarms.

6. After they are comfortable with all guns, we set up a full stage (4 rifle targets and 5 pistols, 4 shotgun targets. I discuss mental preparation, subconscious shooting, running the stage through mentally and how to do it. We shoot 4 stages:

1st stage: 9R 10P +4 shotgun, Pistols - high surrender -2 sweeps from left, move to rifle 3 sweeps from left (3 targets only); move to shotgun inside inside outside outside.

2nd stage: 9R 10P +4 shotgun, Shotgun portarms, move to rifle pickup rifle Nevada sweep rifle, move to pistols (3 targets only) - Nevada Sweep from left.

3rd stage: 9R 10P +4 shotgun, Move middle pistol target in closer than others; discuss how to shoot 5 on 3 and closest target advantages and farthest targets.

Scenario - 9 Rifle on 3 targets, pistols 5 on 3 each pistol, shotgun 4 any order; Discuss the best way to shoot rifle (my preferred is 3 -3-3) Start with rifle on pistol table, pistols high surrender; At buzzer - 5 pistols on 3 targets - both pistols - shooters choice; pick up rifle and shoot 9 on 3; move with rifle to table where shotgun is staged set down rifle (discuss how to move with rifle) set rifle down - shoot shotgun any order.

4th Stage: 10R 10P +4 Shotgun, 4 rifle targets, 4 pistol targets Shooter starts with hands on table, picks up rifle shoots a Lawrence Welk Sweep; sets rifle down;picks up shotgun shoots til down. Moves to pistols shoots a Lawrence Welk Sweep with pistols.

we do a review of each shooter and how they shot as they finish the stage; then send them to the unloading table and call the next shooter. We correct form when we can while shooting. They work off the timer all the time including during each stage.

This is the basic outline; I cover a bunch more

To add to Red Haymaker's post.

The beginner classes at The Cowboys and Cajon Cowboys are held once a month, every month.

Cliffs.. he does a great job too... And I am working on what he taught me.... The guy on the 10 o'clock news is scared now.. I might hit the TV finally.. lol... He gave me some great pointers.. the day I went he worked with me and a beginner.. the classes was great.. and he laces a bit of humor in with it.. just to keep some of us entertained.. lol... Seriously.. I learned a lot, I have some bad habits... and I hope to improve..

He has a host of people he has helped.. so he is someone to learn from!!

Archived