SASS Wire Forum

Need Rossi 92 Information- pre safety model

Willie Shootum

I was at a gun show today and saw a Rossi 1892 with a 24" half round barrel. It was a pre safety model. I would like to know if the pre safety models are more valuable and desirable than the newer ones with the safety? Also is the half round barrel a desirable feature? It sure looked cool.Your openions are valued.

imho,the 2 featrues make it a bit more desirable,but also imho,the Rossi's are not all that 'desirable' or collectible . if w'ere speaking cas related desireability,they are seldom seen at matches compared to other brands.

again,just my opinion. heck,if u like it and it's reasonably well priced,go for it.

Having owned both models, from a functionality standpoint the safety is a pretty useless feature. It was just a lawyered-up addition. Most folks either ignore it it, or remove it and replace it with a plug. Value-wise, I can't think of where it would make any difference.

As to the half & half barrel, that might be a value add. I've had the round barrel and octagon barrel versions, but have never seen one in your configuration. Sounds like it would have a high CDI factor.

From a practical standpoint, it might shine. Prevailing wisdom is that the octagon part of the barrel provides a bit more stiffness reducing barrel whip and keeps the center of gravity back towards the receiver, while the round part reduces muzzle end-weight to make aiming and staying on target easier. For long range work it sounds ideal.

howdy,

Interesting question, I dont remember ever seeing that type barrel rossi.

Remember the old winchesters that folks are collecting are a hundred years old

more or less, so you could have quite a wait for that rossi to become valuable.

Take a look at rossi 92 or rossi 1892 on gunbroker and decide for yourself

if its worth it or not.

Best

CR

Rossi rifles are OK. There is NO collectors market, regardless of feature(s) or lack of features. Rossi guns don't appreciate. I don't know if they will ever have any real collector value and it will probably take 150 or 200 years to find out. Pre-owned guns are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Something to remember, pre-owned guns are usually on the market for a reason. Sometimes the seller just needs some cash. Sometimes there is something wrong with the firearm. Flip a coin, you pays your moneys and you takes your chances.

Do ya feel lucky??

Coffinmaker

My backup rifle is a Rossi 92, pre-safety, in .38/.357, one of 2000 tuned at the factory and then tuned again by a local cowboy who likes 1892's. Very slick and quicker than me.

My main rifle is a Uberti 1873 in .38 with a 18.5" half-oct barrel. I like the looks and feel of half/half barrel.

I like Rossis. There can be slick and can be loaded over the top for that stage that requires a reload orif you jack out a live round during a stage.

+1 on the non existant collector value of a Rossi. For our game many say the Rossi needs to be slicked up, others say you need a 66 / 73 or Marlin to be competive. If you want to shoot Deer with your CAS gun the Rossi is one of the better choices, if cost is a factor.

Pre-safety is a plus for me, but do not know if I would pay extra, but for otherwise equal guns at equal price would go with the pre-safety every time.

Yep,

It caint break if it aint there.

Some folks are payin to git rid of lawyer parts.

Maybe we shoud git rid of the lawyers....?

Best

CR

Willie, all variations of the Rossi '92 have no appreciable increase in valuation or one more valuable than the other. They are just rock solid CAS rifles and operate even better if the the innards have been worked over to 'slick' them up. As for a half round or octagon barrel - it's a matter of likes or dislikes.

I shoot most frequently both the pre safety LSI (24") and the Puma LSI (20") with the the safety. It's just that I like them better than the other CAS lever main match rifles I have. As for durability, my 24" LSI has close to 14,000 black powder rounds down the bore and not one broken part or mechanical hiccup yet

I was at a gun show today and saw a Rossi 1892 with a 24" half round barrel. It was a pre safety model. I would like to know if the pre safety models are more valuable and desirable than the newer ones with the safety? Also is the half round barrel a desirable feature? It sure looked cool.Your openions are valued.

Willie,

What you have is one of the last InterArms imported Rossi's. Rossi made a run of crescent buttstock 24" Half & Half Rifles there in the late 90's. They were all 45lc all blue.

Half & Half 24" Rossi

At one time Rossi made some of these half & Halfs in 357mag. This was in the early 2000's. Those were imported by EMF.

I still have one of the interarms guns. Rossi currently offers a 24" oct but it's a strtaight octagon and feel much hevier up front than the original winchesters. I like the Half & half feels because much like the original.

Your gun is worth about $450 +-

As Nate said that was a Interarms model that they had Rossi make. I don't know where Throckmorton got his information but there has been in the past days of SASS many a match won with the Rossi 92. They have never received the credit they deserve because of the negative feelings about anything made in Latin America. I was working in a gun store in the early 70's when the Rossi rifles were first imported. Long before the Wild Bunch had any thoughts of a thing called SASS. The early rifles were like the Rossi copies of the S&W model 10 revolvers and that is rough outside and inside.The Rossi rifle was imported by several names and each importer improved on them. They were made for NAVY ARMS,InterArms, EMF Hartford,Rossi, rifles,and my mind just went out of gear so maybe Nate will chime back in.They are the best buy for the money on the SASS market. They also make great woods hunting rifles. They would own the SASS market if not for the 1873 and a thing called short stroke. The 92 rifle is a scaled down 1886 made to fire all pistol type cartridges. It is stronger than the 1894 even. Buy one and shoot it after a Nate Kiowa Jones action job and tell me they are not good rifles. I don't ever see the bias against them to go away but that will give our next generations a good rifle for a good price.

Archived