SASS Wire Forum

Homemade Blackberry Pie

As most of the pards living in the Pacific Northwest know, blackberries grow wild as weeds up here. Almost as bad as kudzu in the South. Anyway, on the north side of my property are some wild blackberry bushes. When I got home from church this morning, I noticed there were ripe blackberries "out the wahzoo" (whatever the "wahzoo" is). So, I grabbed a some berry baskets and within a few minutes had a couple quarts of wild blackberries.

Now, here comes the dilemma...what should we do with them? Make a pie or homemade ice cream? I'm a fairly easy-to-please guy, so either one would be fine with me. :D

As most of the pards living in the Pacific Northwest know, blackberries grow wild as weeds up here. Almost as bad as kudzu in the South. Anyway, on the north side of my property are some wild blackberry bushes. When I got home from church this morning, I noticed there were ripe blackberries "out the wahzoo" (whatever the "wahzoo" is). So, I grabbed a some berry baskets and within a few minutes had a couple quarts of wild blackberries.

Now, here comes the dilemma...what should we do with them? Make a pie or homemade ice cream? I'm a fairly easy-to-please guy, so either one would be fine with me. :D

Blackberry jam! Or preserves. Have it on toast, have it on pancakes, have it on ice cream, mix some into apple pie. Makes the berries last longer too.

Oooooo....looky what I found:

BLACKBERRY JAM PIE

Printed from COOKS.COM

1 c. blackberry jam

1 c. buttermilk

1/2 c. butter

3 tbsp. flour

4 eggs, separated

1 c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

4 tbsp. sugar

1 (9 in.) unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix jam, sugar, buttermilk, butter, flour, egg yolks, and vanilla well. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 40 minutes. Beat the 4 egg whites until stiff, adding 4 tablespoons sugar gradually. Spread meringue on top of pie and return to oven to brown lightly.

All of the above!! :lol:

Well, it looks like the choice wasn't mine to make. I came back in the house after feeding the horses, mules and chickens, and Merry Sunshine was putting a blackberry pie in the oven. :blush:

I think, after reading some of your comments, I'll be eating it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.

She's such a sweetie. She told me that inasmuch as I made the effort of picking the berries, the least she could do was make a pie. I didn't even have to drop a hint. :wub:

If you make it over here in the next few minutes, you can have a piece. After that, I'm not making any promises.

I second jam! :lol:

I still have wunnerful memories of Ma sendin' me out to pick b'berries up in Washington.... she'd put up a bunch o' jars of jam, and would always set aside a bowl - and serve it up with slabs of hot bread fresh from the oven. A meal in itself and SO memorable~! ^_^

Archived