SASS Wire Forum

First female commander

Deacon Will

I spent a nice Summer at P.I. several decades back. :D

Gays serving openly in the military. Women in combat units and in charge of Paris Island. :wacko:

Maybe she can do something about those sand flees.

Times are changing. :unsure:

Could anyone post how she became general at age 46? I couldn't find her rank history. Agree a female is great in some administrative positions, they have no belongings in the field. Such as a grunt or LE. Just a dinasoar one cent opinion.

And did this one actually serve in combat?

There are a lot of male commanders who have never seen combat. General David Patraeus had never seen combat before 2003 yet he was in charge of the 101st Airborne.

Adding on, one of my good friends is chief of police of a large department here in Lenexa, KS. She worked her way up from patrol officer and has been with the department 36 years. Smart woman who commands respect from the rank and file.

Just out of curiosity, how many women Marines are in real combat?

Women are still prohibited from serving in combat units. However in the current conflicts many have seen combat in their support rolls.

Spc Monica Brown

Bleedin' Christ, next thing you know, we'll be letting them vote. :lol:

And balance the checkbook!

Hey wait a minute.... :unsure:

There are a lot of male commanders who have never seen combat. General David Patraeus had never seen combat before 2003 yet he was in charge of the 101st Airborne.

Another commander who never served in combat... Dwight David Eisenhower.

I think he made a fine showing as a commander. ;)

In jest, I say............

"BAM"

Yes, both Eisenhower and Petraeus didn't serve in combat prior to "famous" postings, but Eisenhower was more of a political appointee and neither were being appointed to serve as commander of a training base.

I wonder if a person who cannot be in combat can actually effectively train those who are intended to be in combat.

Or is she an administrative base commander.

The Navy once upon a time had rule that aircraft carrier captains had to have earned their wings.

(not sure if this still exists and yes history has several examples during WW2 of exceptions.)

The CG of MCRD San Diego is a woman. She has been in command for several years. She may have moved on. Yeah, I know, that's San Diego. :rolleyes:

As far as I know, recruits are still coming out Marines at MCRD San Diego. My guess is the same will happen at PI.

Regards,

TSGG (Who still doesn't believe women belong in Infantry units)

Could anyone post how she became general at age 46? I couldn't find her rank history. Agree a female is great in some administrative positions, they have no belongings in the field. Such as a grunt or LE. Just a dinasoar one cent opinion.

How about Carmen Ibanez as the Commander of the Rodger Young?

I don't know about this one, but: For Female Marines, Tea Comes With Bullets

MARJA, Afghanistan — They expected tea, not firefights.

But the three female Marines and their patrol were shot at late on a recent day, when a burst of Kalashnikov rifle fire came from a nearby compound. The group hit the ground, crawled into a ditch and aimed its guns across the fields of cotton and corn.

In their sights they could see the source of the blast: an Afghan man who had shot aimlessly from behind a mud wall, shielded by a half-dozen children. The women held their fire with the rest of the patrol so as not to hit a child, waited for the all-clear, then headed back to the base, survivors of yet another encounter with the enemy.

ADDED:

Not USMC, but still, http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories1/001-100/0016_A-10-battle-damage/story0016.htm

Yes, both Eisenhower and Petraeus didn't serve in combat prior to "famous" postings, but Eisenhower was more of a political appointee and neither were being appointed to serve as commander of a training base.

I wonder if a person who cannot be in combat can actually effectively train those who are intended to be in combat.

Or is she an administrative base commander.

The Navy once upon a time had rule that aircraft carrier captains had to have earned their wings.

(not sure if this still exists and yes history has several examples during WW2 of exceptions.)

A commander of a training base has very little to do with the actual day to day training. That's done by lower level professionals experienced in the field. A base commander has little to do with training doctrine which comes from Training Command and the long halls of the Puzzle Palace aka Pentagon.

Well, if she's good at the job, then good for both her and the Marines. If a person can do the job, then they should be allowed to. If she ever gets to where she can't do the job, then it's time for her to go. It's the job that matters.

A commander of a training base has very little to do with the actual day to day training. That's done by lower level professionals experienced in the field. A base commander has little to do with training doctrine which comes from Training Command and the long halls of the Puzzle Palace aka Pentagon.

Right on all, I agree. But the "Puzzle Palace" is the National Security Agency http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Puzzle_Palace Which is where I worked when in the Navy, NavSecGruAct Ft. G. Meade. ;)

Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619

Posted Today, 03:04 PM

How about Carmen Ibanez as the Commander of the Rodger Young?

Always exceptions from Hollywierd :lol:

Right on all, I agree. But the "Puzzle Palace" is the National Security Agency http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Puzzle_Palace Which is where I worked when in the Navy, NavSecGruAct Ft. G. Meade. ;)

My unit was referring to the Pentagon as The Puzzle Palace in the 60's long before the book came out. Hmmmm.. ;)

I don't really see the problem. If you can put your make-up on while driving, you should be able to do it while on patrol. :lol: I mean, really, what could there be about guns that gets in the way of mascara? If you're a woman, you don't have to carry a shaver, so you have room for tampons. And Lord help the enemy if she gets in a mood! Just tell her that uniform makes her look fat, and get out of the way. A marine trained to fight going through menopause? Not my idea of fun. Just make sure you point her at the enemy.....

(GAWD, I am in a mood tonight!)

I pity the poor bastards that are on the receiving end of a pissed off menopausal woman :lol:

Congrats General!

I worked for a Major once who was manopausal 24/7. ;)

So far I have only found one reference to Puzzle Palace including anything but NSA.

From Urban Dictionary 3 definitions follow;

A slang military term used to describe the headquarters office of a General.

Originally used to describe the National Security Agency because of it secrecy.

Can also be used to describe any large government building that is monolithic, secured or confusing to navigate.

So far I have only found one reference to Puzzle Palace including anything but NSA.

Yes. The term likely has been generalized. From working there, my impression was that the term "Puzzle Palace" came not just from the idea of concepts partialized per need-to-know, but moreso from the huge building that was so very compartmented.

FWIW, though, it was also my experience that it was largely outsiders who called it the "Puzzle Palace." Probably there were some there who used the reference, but I've generally heard it used per NSA by folks who didn't actually work there, or people who did work there but who were talking with others who didn't work there (using their terms).

Those of us there, simply referred to it, always and only, as "the building."

Regardless of your thoughts or my thoughts She will succeed, she will excel. She is a command Marine, she will do extrtemelly well. Failure is not an option for her. If she has her way she will commamnd a combat unit and it too will do well, regardless of our doubts.

What was his name? :lol:

Believe it or not it was Major Motley. He was a VMI grad.

It was commonly used in 1968 in the team rooms of the 10th Special Forces Group in referring to either the Pentagon or USAREUR HQ in Stuttgart (PPE or Puzzle Palace East). I guess we were ahead of our time. ;)

Archived