How can you resist this?

The next 10 guys who either:

1. sign up at the SASS Vetssite or

2. current SASSVet members who send me a pic and who have not sent a one in yet

..will receive absolutely free a genuine issue made in USA :FlagAm:

"OPENER, CAN, HAND, FOLDING, TYPE I" P-38

One of the best inventions EVER! :lol:

How can you resist, you varmints?

I moved 'bout a month and a half ago... still haven't found my kitchen can opener.

The P-38 on my key ring has seen a LOT of action the past few weeks...! ^_^

No C rats tho? :blink:

C-rats, though available, are ungodly expensive as collectors items (I saw a box of Ham steak with a B-2 Unit go for $46.00 on E-bay)and no doubt even more toxic than they were 40 years ago. :lol:

Everyone needs a genuine John Wayne in their kit. They can prove to be invaluable.

====================================================

I've been carrying the same 1962 vintage P38 on my key ring since I got it in the P.I. in '65. It's been used hard and for things it was never designed for, and if it ever breaks, I'm gonna bury it in the back yard with full military honors.

====================================================

I've been carrying the same 1962 vintage P38 on my key ring since I got it in the P.I. in '65. It's been used hard and for things it was never designed for, and if it ever breaks, I'm gonna bury it in the back yard with full military honors.

The Infantryman's companion, The Airman's curiosity, The Sailor's souvenir. :lol:

The first P-38 I got with my first c-rat is still on the key ring I carry daily. It's stamped "US G.G. Greene 1956". As anyone who has used these knows, it gets better with age as it self sharpens every time it's used. Got it in basic training at Fort Dix in 1957.

Another thing that stayed with me is my serial number. I was told in basic I'd never forget it. Now, 54 years later, I can still rattle it off without a moments hesitation. I was then, and still am, proud that it started with RA.

And as far as c-rats, a little Charlie Ration Cook Book was available all over Viet Nam. If I recollect rightly, it was free and distributed by Tabasco, which naturally figured in almost every recipe.

A sad thought, but one to keep in mind: TSA has been known to confiscate 'em... they're such deadly weepons, don'tcha know. :wacko:

And as far as c-rats, a little Charlie Ration Cook Book was available all over Viet Nam. If I recollect rightly, it was free and distributed by Tabasco, which naturally figured in almost every recipe.

And you can't forget the tiny little bottle of Tobasco that was always included. Hmmm. I think I may have one around here someplace.

My sister told me she wanted an electric can opener for Christmas one year. I got a little envelope and sent her a P 38.

She called me and said "what the heck did you send me?"

I said, "A can opener....You said you wanted a can opener"

She was not amused.

I just finally sent my application in. I will get the pics, unit insignia and ribbons to you ASAP. I hope I was quick enough. I loaned out my P-38 years ago, and it never came home. :angry:

I remember when they had a can of them at the cash register of the old surplus store I frequented when I was younger. I don't recall how much they were, but they weren't expensive. If only I'd known...

A sign of the times . . . and our ages. . .

. . . at the animal shelter where I voluteer . . . a young couple . . he ex marine . . .

. . . lost their can opener . . .

I sed . . . "don't you have a P-38?" . . . he sed . . "what is a P-38 ?" . . .

I sed . . . "the can opener that is used for C-rations."

he sed . . . "What are C-rations ? " :wacko::huh:

Whut is the world coming too. . . ..... :excl:

Completely hi-jacking the thread (but then I have already signed up and sent in my photos)

Spooky Joe,

At 91 when my father did not recognize many of his "newer" friends and was not able to keep many of his "newer" memories but he could still rattle off his service number and his rifle number. As they say...."Some things you never forget"

God rest his soul.

And he was not even an infantryman. Tanker/Armor...3rd Armor 32nd Armored Reg (Combat Command A) but he knew his rifle number coming and going.

The first P-38 I got with my first c-rat is still on the key ring I carry daily. It's stamped "US G.G. Greene 1956". As anyone who has used these knows, it gets better with age as it self sharpens every time it's used. Got it in basic training at Fort Dix in 1957.

Another thing that stayed with me is my serial number. I was told in basic I'd never forget it. Now, 54 years later, I can still rattle it off without a moments hesitation. I was then, and still am, proud that it started with RA.

+1 and the battle sight on the M 14.

C-rations?

One summer job I had after I got out of the army and was putting myself through school was in a meat packing plant. I did odd jobs because the boss found he could give me a task and I'd get'er done (for minimum wage plus a dime, $1.75/hr) so a lot of times I would fill in for someone that didn't show up. Most times it was some manly-manly crap like killing, gutting, boning, hauling beef, loading trucks. But twice it was canning meatballs and beans for the C-rations; the rest of the floor was women. The beans got put into the cans by machine but the half cooked meatballs got put in by hand, half cooked and greasy. After the cans were sealed they were sent to giant pressure cookers that finshed the cooking. So as much as I liked C-rats :rolleyes: g mryf them was of making them. :angry: Oh, eight meatballs per can, no more, no less. dry.gif

UB

The HAM ? , was better than the beans and ***** , as I remenber em .

With a bit of imagination ya could make a few things that were not tooo BAD .

CB

A poke in the eye with a sharp stick was better than Ham and Limas!

I suspect tens of thousands of cans of Ham and MFers rusted away unopened in the mud of SE Asia.

Probably mutated the plant life too.

The Infantryman's companion, The Airman's curiosity, The Sailor's souvenir. :lol:

================================================

My "curiosity" was first used to open the Korean War vintage C-rats that were passed out in our mess hall in the P.I. to take on post with us on evening and midnight shifts. Then we went from C-rats to sandwiches that were delivered by pickup truck. The truck's last stop was the bomb dump, which was mostly dirt roads, and by the time it got to the last few posts, the remaining sandwiches had a dust coating and maybe even a bootprint or two, but if you're hungry, you don't care. From there, we progressed to hot chow that was delivered to posts by an IHC Metro van. The GI hot food containers caused the powdered eggs to turn green, but we ate 'em anyway. The coffee that was brought around was strong and hot, as Air Force coffee always was. Then there was the monsoon season, where everything and everybody, including the food, stayed wet. I tell ya, it was rough duty, but somebody had to do it! :lol:

AND DON'T FORGIT YOUR MAILIN ADDRESS!

Beanie Weenies were #1, Scrambled eggs came in second. I don't have enough numbers for Ham and Limas! How about those great crackers that came with everything?? Also I loved the little Cig packs of 5(may have been 4), paper was green and if you had a hammer you could drive them thru a 2X4, but we smoked them anyway!!!! If you got real lucky you got filtered, but at that point we really didn'rt care!! I still love Beanie Weenies.:blush: I remember my sevice number, not so much my weapon, we were always changing,

P38's ain't left hand friendly! I carried a church key around my neck and poked enough overlaping holes until I could peel the top back. Also converted the top into a ninja throwing star. (a little light for anything bigger than a house fly)

Bugs

Neither is the forward bolt assist on an M-16. :P

Hand grenades are ambidextrous though.

Archived