SASS Wire Forum

7/8 oz 12 ga loads

sgravesok

Just getting started in CAS and was looking for a recipe for 12 ga 7/8 oz loads for my coach gun. Kicks like you know what even with 3 1/4-1 1/8 loads. Have 7/8 oz wads and an adjustable charge bar. Would like to use powder on hand. Have plenty of Green Dot. Any suggestions? Have a shoot this Wednesday .

Thanks,

Sam from Alabam

Just getting started in CAS and was looking for a recipe for 12 ga 7/8 oz loads for my coach gun. Kicks like you know what even with 3 1/4-1 1/8 loads. Have 7/8 oz wads and an adjustable charge bar. Would like to use powder on hand. Have plenty of Green Dot. Any suggestions? Have a shoot this Wednesday .

Thanks,

Sam from Alabam

I can't help with Green Dot. As I'm sure you've seen, everything on the Alliant web site for Green Dot using 7/8 oz is 1300 FPS which with a coach gun will get your attention. If you can get your hands on some Clays, I can help you out. When I started this game, I had a bunch of Green Dot and used it up in my cartridge loads.

Nothing personal but you might want to look in a shotgun reloading book. You can't just say you have 7/8 oz wads without giving at least the brand, they aren't all the same. Look under "youth loads" in the powder company's loading manual and maybe you can find something that will work with your powder, but all shotgun powder's aren't universal either. Hate to see to with a blown up shotgun because you got in a hurry and didn't research things properly.

Guest diablo slim shootist

The easiest thing to do is buy a 1lb can of WINCHESTER LITE

SHOT GUN POWDER and follow the recipe on the can> ;)

Sam

If you go the the Winchester powder web site all will be revealed.

I use their formula for the feater lite load.

Wif :D

If you go to the Winchester website & check the load data you would be suprized how much difference in pressure just the brand of primers you use makes...Largo

Primers do make a difference in pressures with different loads. However, if you are insinuating that pressures have anything to do with recoil, you are dead wrong. Pressures are not even in the equation.

While SAAMI specifications need to be observed in reloading, any published load, listed by the powder manufacturer is not going to exceed SAAMI specifications, and will be completely safe to use. One of the anomalies of shotshell pressure is that normally the higher the pressure is, the cleaner the powder burn is.

Recoil impulse is the product of 3 given factors. Weight of the gun, weight of the ejecta, and velocity of the payload. Nothing else factors into the equation.

All this being said, normally, due to the low velocities of ammo used in SASS, their pressures are usually fairly low also, because as pressures rise or fall, velocities usually follow, although not 100% true.

RBK

double barrel shotguns seem to kick more than a 97. Probably due to the weight of the 97. It may also be the the force is not in a direct line with the double so the weight of the gun does not offset it as much as a 97. Just throwing that out there.

Install a recoil reducer called the DEAD MULE, it works!

I have no way of testing it, but I know the recoil is far less

than I expected. Check it out cost about $60.00 you install.

QDG

Thanks for all the advice. Guess I'll spend a few bucks and buy yet another brand of powder to add to my collection. QDG, I'll also check into the Mule.

Sam from Alabam

Ive shot 7/8 oz load with 15 grains red dot in Winchester AA 2 3/4 hulls claybuster 7/8 oz wad for 4 years now. Great trap load even at 20 yard line andthats all I shoot in my coach gun. soft shooting load

Archived