SASS Wire Forum

Looking at getting a chronograph

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I used to use a Pard's Chrony chronograph to check our IHMSA reloads and NRA high power rifle reloads, but he moved away many moons ago.

Now I'm pondering getting one for myself (and the local range to use).

We would be checking everything from cast SASS loads up to 4000 FPS varmint loads.

What model would you recommend as best for the money?

What accessories are needed?

Much obliged,

Mustang Gregg

I got a bottom-of-the-line model from Chrony. It measures velocity and that's about it. I think it will do average velocity and standard deviation as well. It doesn't print out or anything like that. Cost about $65.

It's one of those models where everything is contained in a single unit.

This is one of those questions that depends on what you expect out of the result. If you own an ammo testing company, this wouldn't be the chronograph for you. If you just want to know what an occasional load is doing, it works fine.

I picked up a Pro-Chrono digital by Competition Electronics from Brownells. As I recall it was less than $100 and can be connected to one's laptop by just getting the connection package if one had the need of doing so. It does more than I'll ever need it to do so I'm happy.

HW

Ohler !!!!

Anything else is at best a guess .....

Ohler, is making a limited run of 35p,s get one if you want better than a guess ....

I have tested the "Chrony" bunch between the screens of my pro equipment and found them to be wildly inaccurate !!!

Out by as much as 1,200 fps. ,,,, once showing my arrow traveling at 603 Fps. when it really does 226 Fps. .....

Once showing a 40 gr. bullet as traveling over 4,000 Fps. out of a Hornet when in fact it was doing 2,801 Fps. ....

Jabez Cowboy

According to a batch of testing done recently and written up in Precision Shooting?? Not positive which rag it was, the new CED IR unit was the most accurate on the market. They tested against dopler radar. The Oehler's have a much slower clock in them, but they are very good. The PACT IR units were next best. The chronys are like Jabez Cowboy said.

I have an older Pact chronograph that work fine. You can get them used on eBay pretty cheap. I would suggest that you get one where the electronics are located separately from the detectors and one where you can get replacement parts. Don't ask me how I know this!

Dogmeat (I shot my chrono, but I did not shoot the deputy......) Dad

Howdy,

Our pard Eightbits is building his own crony and will probably post the

project on his website ktgunsmith.

I wonder how accurate his will be???

Best

CR

Havent had any whacko readings with my competition electronics digital chronograph, got the computer pkg with it from midway for about $125 IIRC on sale. Brings everything up on the laptop and gives you all kinds of info besides velocity.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I used to use a Pard's Chrony chronograph to check our IHMSA reloads and NRA high power rifle reloads, but he moved away many moons ago.

Now I'm pondering getting one for myself (and the local range to use).

We would be checking everything from cast SASS loads up to 4000 FPS varmint loads.

What model would you recommend as best for the money?

What accessories are needed?

Much obliged,

Mustang Gregg

Bought my Chrony in 1972 and it is still going strong.

Got my moneys worth

CCBA

I have had a Chrony and had the inaccuracy problems mentioned. The Oehler 35P, with it's third "proof" screen, is quite accurate and repeatable. The CED unit is quite good, too.

At Buualo Stampede the CED unit The committee had for the WB power factor check failed, and a contestant loaned a Chrony. I noticed the readings seemed to have a lot of wild variations, and, to my chagrin, I was almost a victim when one of my normally 900 ft/sec rounds read 480. Failing to make the PF is a MDQ, so this was a scary moment. The average was just over the 150 min, so I was OK. then the committee people shooting the guns shot the Chrony and ended the testing.

I approach it this way: Shoot 5 rounds - record fps then fire another 5 rounds - record fps

It the AVG and SD's are within range of each other then I tally up the 10 rounds for the aggregate outputs.

Been using the same F-1 Master Chrony for about 10 years and find it to be reliably accurate. is it the most accurate? Don't know because I have never read a report comparing model to model with recorded velocities for each vendor's model. Until then, I'll continue to use the Chrony because all the posts are opinions, not supported by comparative recorded output readings

I bought my CED M2 after using a friends and researching all the web reviews about it's performance. Look at the site and see how many shooting organisations chose it. I would agree with John Boy as he is correct about web posting or forum answers such as here. My search was to see how many shooting sports used which one as the reputation of the club depended on the accuracy. I have yet to have a failure and even do BB guns for my neighbors. Ha!! Ha!! I will say this and that is if PACT is selling one then stay away. I have had nothing but problems with my last two Pact products.

I have an old bete chrony. I don't use it buy once or twice a year at most. It will likely last forever. One feature I recommend... get one with at least a memory or a printer to record your shots. It is a real pain on crowned ranges when you can't go down range to read your stats and you can't see them from the bench. 15 feet aint far, but far enouch on a sunny day to make an LED display unreadable.

I have an older Pact PC2 that I bought years ago when trying to decide between it and an Ohler 35. The Pact is very accurate and never gave me any problems.You might want to do a search and see if they are still available.I chose the Pact because if you miss shooting between the screens and hit them,you just replace the screens,not the brain,which sits on the shooting bench next to you so that you can refer to the read outs.Some of these newer cronys have such small screens,that if you miss and hit the brains,you are off to the store to buy another one.

I just edit this cause I looked it up for you.Yes,you can still buy the Pact PC2 and it runs about $180.00 I think a printer is an added feature for a few more bucks. The Oehler 35p which is the big kid on the block and is way above all others( my opinion) runs complete for about $575.00. Of course,the higher price is what made me buy the Pact PC2.With that said,I have never been sorry that I bought the Pact pc2. Make note,that when I was looking for a cronograph,the Pact and the Oehler were the only two kids on the block that I can recall.

Archived