SASS Wire Forum

How's your vegetable garden doing?

Been harvesting peas, carrots, squash, green beans, and lettuce. T'maters coming on this next week. Onions and sugar pumpkins are still growing.

Cooked up some fish tonight along with some fresh summer squash with cheese sauce, and some green beans with some bacon and tabasco. Hmmmm, tasty. :rolleyes:

Been harvesting peas, carrots, squash, green beans, and lettuce. T'maters coming on this next week. Onions and sugar pumpkins are still growing.

Cooked up some fish tonight along with some fresh summer squash with cheese sauce, and some green beans with some bacon and tabasco. Hmmmm, tasty. :rolleyes:

I love having a garden.. and I love having herbs too... But right now I can't have one I live in a Apt.. until next year.. I hope.. I so want to stay here. My dad and his wife have a few things out.. Gosh I use to love to cook and can .. now.. I work.. and shoot.. and post.. lol... Someday I will do as I please, for now I have to make a living and work as many hours as they need em.. So, uh.. how about shipping me some onions?? lol.. Just teasin ya.. I am jealous... lol.. But oh so pleased that you guys are doing this.. Makes me very happy..

Well, being as how, this is the hottest summer on record in central Texas, and we havent had any rain here in nearly 60+ days, my pecan tree is dying and the grass is dead. The herb and veggie garden is a thing of the past. My oregano, dill, cilantro, serrano and jalapeno peppers, the sage and basil not to mention the marjorem and the onions are all dead. I tried to water for a few weeks, but the heat here (been mostly in the 104 to 107 range daily all summer) just dries out the ground. In three days we will exceed the all time 1923 record for 100+ days, and already have exceeded the average temperature ever recorded for a summer. I guess, if this is going to be a thing... I am going to build a covered garden with a sun screen and figure out a gray water system.

Ours burned-up in july. We got a few squashes, some cucumbers, and some chili peppers. Dang squirrels ate every totmato off the plants when it got real dry! Moles are under the 'taters and been eating the best ones. Next year we are declaring war against tree rats! ...and moles. Too late this year but the wife has finally decided being kind to animals is fine everywhere but her garden.

Bodine

My garden is doing fair. All the rain we had this summer, helped the squash and beans, but the carrots and parsnips rotted in the ground. The peppers developed some sort of fungus or blight and I've only gotten 4 peppers from 12 plants. But I'll have a freezer full of green beans and butternut squash.

Ours is starting to wind down, 'maters are about done, cukes and bell peppers hangin' in,and cayenne peppers turning red and about to harvest and dry 'em. Banana peppers, are done, summer squash just coming in.

The pole beans did pretty good early in the season and then everything started cooking on the vine.

Got a handful of peppers & cukes, a few ears of corn, but not a single tomatoe.

Burnt plum up.

Like everything else in Texas right now.

Over $5 billion lost so far and still counting.

Even if we start to get rain. Will take years to recover.

Weather mans says 107 everyday next week, with no rain.

Tomatos and cucumbers are doing real good. The bad part is to make any salsa this year I'm gonna have to buy the peppers. Too much rain this year for peppers, wish I could have sent some of it to ya'all down in Texas. I planted ten pepper plants and I don't have a single pepper.

CPK

I didn't even plant a garden this year. It's just me and the wife at home now and we can't eat that much. It's just easier to buy the stuff at the grocery store when we need it. Last year I ended up giving away most of it before it spoiled.

I didn't even plant a garden this year. It's just me and the wife at home now and we can't eat that much. It's just easier to buy the stuff at the grocery store when we need it. Last year I ended up giving away most of it before it spoiled.

Yep, it's just the two of us now, too. But it's a habit I got into almost forty years ago, and like they say, "Old habits are hard to break." Of course, Merry Sunshine bottles a bunch of the stuff. She's already done a couple batches of raspberry jam and a couple batches of green beans.

The strawberries did not fare well this year. All the herbs are doing well. We got plenty of tomatoes a couple squash and several peppers (green, red & yellow bells). Our Anaheim chilis are doing good. The rest of the peppers did not do well.

We have planted some fruit trees over the past few years along with some grapes, blueberries & boysenberry plants.

Spaghetti squash-to die for,Zucchini-yum (especially when the wife makes zucchini bread with chocolate chips in it,Tomatoes on their way, just had some fresh green beans w/bacon and pork chops. Oh, by the way, all this came from the Farmers Market and one of my customers garden. :lol: The Berries in the Northwest are sent from God.

What is this vegetable garden you speak of?

Walk in the front door of the market and turn left. The veggie garden is under the big sign that says PRODUCE. Some may be in the frozen goodies section, too.

I did all the gardening BS when I was a kid and once I got married I made it clear that if the family had a garden IT WAS MY WIFE'S RESPONSIBILITY!

I ain't a farmer no more.

Archived