SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun

Wopahoe Kid

I was looking at a SXS shotgun today, one had single trigger...salesman said to check if a single trigger is ok in SASS...

So, is it legal?

Yes they are legal, and are my personal preference. I have two Stoeger Coach Guns, one with single trigger and one with two triggers. Both are very reliable, but I prefer the single trigger, so that's my main match gun, and the double trigger model is the backup gun.

RBK

Yes they are legal, and are my personal preference. I have two Stoeger Coach Guns, one with single trigger and one with two triggers. Both are very reliable, but I prefer the single trigger, so that's my main match gun, and the double trigger model is the backup gun.

RBK

+1 I have the same two shotguns and preffer the single trigger.

I have 3 Baikals two or two triggers one is a single trigger. The single is the slickest but they wont let me play with it,it is a 410 that Johnny Meadows did for my grandson. I have not got to shoot in 6 weeks because of my wife.I am going to take the 410 and beg to play with it.Just kidding

Be careful buying the cheaper entry level single triggers.

There has been more than a few problems with them.

If it is a BBS or SKB single trigger. :rolleyes: Yep. Go with that.

If one of the cheaper guns. Go with the double triggers. As far as trigger pull.

The double trigger is just as fast if not faster than a single trigger.

And they really don't take long to get use to at all.

Or at least that is my opinion.

I have a TTN hammered double, and a Baikal hammerless, both that double triggers. I was worried that I'd have trouble gettng used to it, but after a match or two as most i don't even think about it.

These were Stoeger shot guns...I guess they're good guns...new

I've got 3 Stoegers... all double triggers... 2 are shooters that my wife and I shoot in matches... and a backup..still new in the box

My oldest is 7 years of CAShooting still going strong..

If I was buying a Stoeger.. I'd go with double triggers...

Kinda like Anvil Al was saying..

If ya get a Stoeger with single triggers and it doesn't operate properly... ya gotta find a gunsmith..

If ya get a double trigger.. and it doesn't work right.. ya probably can get advice here on the wire ta fix it..

I agree with Grizz & Anvil Al also, in that it takes NO TIME to get use to and be fast with double triggers..

You'll switch triggers without thinking about it.. called muscle memory..

Rance <_<

These were Stoeger shot guns...I guess they're good guns...new

People seem prone to po-po single trigger shotguns, stating that they will double on you and that the triggers won't reset and a host of other false statements. This mostly happens to guns having been improperly altered by people that really don't know what they are doing.

The later production Stoegers do not have this problem , unless some kitchen table plumb er ah gunsmith goes to jacking with the mainsprings or the sears. These guns DO NOT require recoil to reset the triggers as they are mechanical, and will reset without any recoil at all. Secondly unless something is bent or broken,(or ill advised modifications done), they don't double.

Personally, I think most of these problems have gone away or have been solved, and really aren't the problem that possibly they once were. I am very satisfyed with my single trigger gun and would buy another in a heartbeat if I needed another gun.

RBK

I was looking at a SXS shotgun today, one had single trigger...salesman said to check if a single trigger is ok in SASS...

So, is it legal?

From the SASS Shooters Handbook

SHOTGUN REQUIREMENTS

Any side-by-side or single shot shotgun typical of the period from approximately 1860

until 1899 with or without external hammers, having single or double triggers is allowed.

Automatic ejectors are allowed on single shot break action, lever and pump action shotguns

ONLY. Side-by-side shotguns may not use automatic ejectors. Lever action, tubular feed,

exposed hammer shotguns of the period are allowed, whether original or replicas. The only

slide action shotgun allowed is the Model 1897 Winchester shotgun, whether original or

replica. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of shotgun and ammunition to be

used. Military configurations are not allowed (i.e., trench guns). Please see the shooting

categories for further information.

I have never had one so can only relate second hand hear-say and I will not call any names. I have heard two very good double gun shooters make the statement that single triggers are to slow, you figure their meaning? A popular FFL/gunsmith told me that he was not going to order single trigger guns anymore due to out-of-box problems and complaints from shooters?? My thought is that these sort of questions should be answered by the top shooters, regionally or above, who use doubles. What works for old pard just might fall way short in the hands of a top gun.

Another question, the double trigger one was in a Matt looking stainless finish, is this ok?

The single trigger was blue finish.

Thanks all

People seem prone to po-po single trigger shotguns, stating that they will double on you and that the triggers won't reset and a host of other false statements. This mostly happens to guns having been improperly altered by people that really don't know what they are doing.

The later production Stoegers do not have this problem , unless some kitchen table plumb er ah gunsmith goes to jacking with the mainsprings or the sears. These guns DO NOT require recoil to reset the triggers as they are mechanical, and will reset without any recoil at all. Secondly unless something is bent or broken,(or ill advised modifications done), they don't double.

Personally, I think most of these problems have gone away or have been solved, and really aren't the problem that possibly they once were. I am very satisfyed with my single trigger gun and would buy another in a heartbeat if I needed another gun.

RBK

Really :wacko:

I just recently had a guy call me about a stoeger single trigger new from the box that would only shoot the right side. I have a Baikal single trigger here now that from the get-go would double about evey 10 30 20 rounds.

You buy cheap you take your chances. Not all of the low end single trigger guns are bad, but in 20 years of working on these guns I have seen enough of them to know without a doubt some are.

Buy the two trigger gun and have the triggers switched, left front, right rear.

Or buy a premium single trigger like the SKB or BSS. Some of those have been known to single or double but not near as many as the low end guns.

Archived