SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Action Shooting...

Creeker, SASS #43022

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the added spice of Wild Bunch, Military Bolts, Long Range, Cowboy Trap, etc. with my main course of Cowboy Shooting. Makes the side matches at the Annuals very special.

For me I like it COWBOY ,,,,,,, Cowboy Main matches and Cowboy side matches ....

All COWBOY side matches are fun !!! Skip the Wild Bunch NOT shorten the time spent on Cowboy side matches ...

I have found several clubs that have stopped running Pocket Pistol and Deringer side matches since the advent of WB,,,, NOT a HAPPY thing .....

To me 1911 and pump-guns ain't Cowboy,especially when our group (SASS) is suposted to be about shooting PRE-1900 guns ....

Jabez Cowboy

I have heard from shooters that will not shoot a annual match because they don't offer a Wild Bunch side match. "If there is no Wild Bunch, there is no reason for me to come."

Really? Cause the numerous COWBOY ACTION side matches, mini match, team events, twelve stages of main match aren't a draw for you?

Well, to answer your question....No....Some people like me, want it all! Something you need to remember...the match you are talking about has competition for the shooter's dollar that weekend...shooters have to make choices...clubs who forget they are competing for the shooter's dollar will lose. The shooter you quoted, made a choice.

Some people like me, want it all! Something you need to remember...the match you are talking about has competition for the shooter's dollar that weekend...shooters have to make choices...clubs who forget they are competing for the shooter's dollar will lose. The shooter you quoted, made a choice.

And you are correct.

I am not begrudging any one's right to make a decision on what events they wish to attend.

But I don't see the reasoning, when there are plenty of other venues for these other guns,

that we need to continue diluting COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING by adding guns that have no place.

I asked the shooter that passes on the monthly shoot, if they shoot their bolt rifle at VMBAR... Answer No

I asked if he was shooting his 1911 at an IPSC or Steel Challenge match... Answer No

So it isn't about shooting the guns, it is a desire to shoot inappropriate guns at an inappropriate venue.

I have heard from shooters that will not shoot a annual match because they don't offer a Wild Bunch side match.

I guess I just don't understand how someone wanting to attend a match that offers a Wild Bunch side-match is "a desire to shoot inappropriate guns at an inappropriate venue" when Wild Bunch matches are held at the World Championship, National Championship, and most State Championships.

I LOVE shooting Cowboy...but I also enjoy shooting Wild Bunch...and I get a little frustrated with clubs that attempt to make me choose between the two. I will fully support clubs that embrace them both.

Before this turns into a 'why wild bunch isn't cowboy' thread, I just wanted to add that I love shooting Cowboy. I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I would like to and with all the categories currently offered and all the options in guns, my wish list just keeps growing.

Finally getting a slow start into frontiersman and loving it. For now I just have too many cowboy options to want to shoot anything else.

I tried IPSC a long time ago - Very expensive gun, lots of standing around with no one wanting anything to do with the "newbie" (me) except the guy who brought me. Overall - disappointing to say the least.

I tried IDPA not so long ago - already had the gun(s) and ammo, had practiced on paper all my life, I am an NRA instructor so I understood what was going on pretty well. took about 4 1/2 hours to shoot 4 stages, no real "feedback" from bullets striking paper, only a couple of guys (both cowboy shooters) stepping up most of the time to help with patching holes, resetting moveable targets etc. Felt it was ok and would do it again, but would not be my first choice if there was a cowboy match relatively close.

Tried cowboy shooting about 5 1/2 years ago. Traded the IPSC gun for my first cowboy rig (two rugers, two Marlin CBC, two IAC '97's, adequete holsters and shotgun belt). Met the friendliest people in the world who took me under their collective wing and helped me with everything from technique to telling a good story. Have passed on I don't know how many IDPA shoots because there was a cowboy shoot within 5 hours I would rather be at. Have had the same great experience with fun loving people in CO, AZ, UT, NM. Expect I will have more of the same as I get around to other states as well.

Yep guess I am gonna give up Cowboy Shooting - till next week :lol:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW I have tried WB as well. Lots of fun (even though I stink at it) While I would shoot a WB match that was going on at a CAS match I don't know that I would travel very far to attend a WB only match.

Way I look at it-----------

When I'm shooti'n cowboy-------------

I ain't woorki'n-------------

I'm there fur the duration----------

nobodys gonna have more fun than meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

the mighty furball :lol:

I shot DCM matches for four years, but now there is only one match per month in my state.

I shot IPSC for six years, but now there is only two matches per month in my state.

IDPA is dead in my state.

North Carolina has fourteen monthly SASS matches plus fifth weekend opportunities.

I think that these people that want to expand CAS beyond the current offerings are fed up with the 'dead-ness' of other shooting disciplnes and see SASS as a very lively shooting sport.

I think that these people that want to expand CAS beyond the current offerings are fed up with the 'dead-ness' of other shooting disciplnes and see SASS as a very lively shooting sport.

Ya know what?

This is one of the only explanations that makes sense to me.

I can see folks thinking this one out this way.

Cowboy is a lot of fun. Lots of cowboy matches. Let's integrate some of the other things "I" like to do into these cowboy matches.

That will be a lot easier than revitalizing the appropriate venue for this type of gun.

Of course, this mindset is how you end up taking pepperoni pizza that most folks enjoy in it's present state

and end up with pepperoni, sausage, pineapple, jellybean, popcorn, tofu, peanut butter (creamy and crunchy), chocolate chip, kiwi and ball bearing pizza.

That manages to offend everyone and satisfy no one.

I just competed in the Idaho State Outdoor 2700. We had one full relay of fifteen shooters.

I competed approximately one million years ago with my TO .45 1911A1 in the Marine Corps'

SADLY, many of the same guys are still shooting in those matches! :-(

SASS is popular and even here in the depths of our North idaho winter our various club SASS matches have between 8 to 60 competitors.

Realistically, SASS is the only venue for most people, including a large number of kids and ladies.

Let's not screw it up by adding junk shooting, complicating it and adding onerous rules.

Obviously my title is a bit in jest, I don't really think cowboy is in danger of fading away soon.

But, it seems like there are lots of posts on "Why can't we have a XXX category or XXX sidematch, where we use all these other guns that are not currently used in Cowboy Action?"

I want to use my military bolt action...

I want to use my 1911...

I want to use a DA revolver...

What happened to "I want to shoot cowboy?"

If you dislike the game so much, go start another. Or join another organization that supports your goals.

I have heard from shooters that will not shoot a annual match because they don't offer a Wild Bunch side match.

"If there is no Wild Bunch, there is no reason for me to come."

Really? Cause the numerous COWBOY ACTION side matches, mini match, team events, twelve stages of main match aren't a draw for you?

I have heard from shooters that will not attend monthly matches because their bolt rifles are not allowed at the long range side matches.

Or there is not a 1911 side match.

Regardless of all the other opportunity to shoot these non cowboy guns, somehow if they can't do it at a cowboy match, they no longer want to play.

I want to use my military bolt action rifle... http://www.vimbar.com/index.html

I want to use my 1911... http://www.ipsc.org/ http://www.idpa.com/ http://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/

I want to use my DA revolver... http://www.idpa.com/ http://www.uspsa.org/

There are plenty of venues for other guns and other games.

What happened that no one wants to just play cowboy anymore?

I always get a kick out of the posts that claim that proposing a new class is somehow a threat to CAS. After all, if you shoot anything but "Traditional" or "Modern" Class, you are shooting a class that is the result of someone saying "wouldn't it be cool to shoot...." Oh wait, Traditional and Modern Class don't even exist any more, so all of SASS as it is currently played is the result of somone proposing a new class!!! Life (and SASS) is change, dose anyone want to go back to the old days?

Having said that, there are a number of things that have been talked about since who flung the chunk that make a lot more sense than the Wild Bunch Class. The exclusion of 19th century DAs has been discussed from early on; the banning of a bunch of good 19th century pumps has been topic of discussion; and, the exclusion of 19th century guns (like the Sharps Borchart and Martini-Henry) without hammers has been an issue. SASS has for decades taken a "if you want that, go somewhere else" stance about a lot of things, and a lot of people have done just that. But then they go and create wild bunch, which has no historical validity at all? Don't make no sense to me, but what the hey, as I said before, life and SASS are about change. I don't have to shoot Wild Bunch of I don't want to. But, I think that once you open SASS to the 1911, you really dilute the brand, which I think will lead to decline over time. After all, if a 1911 can fit SASS, why CAN'T people use DA revolvers, shotguns or hammerless rifles that actually existed in the 19th century? What justification do they have to say no when they have demonstrated such low standards with Wild Bunch?

Just the view from my saddle.

Doc, WBAS is not a Category in CAS, and, yes, we shoot in categories not classes. WBAS is a whole new game, a different discipline. It was not ever and is not intended to be a category in SASS-CAS. Now if non-SASS CAS outfits want to have a WB category in with their regular match power to 'em but that is not how SASS wants it.

TWO entirely different great games. Separate. Not quite equal yet but hopefully someday. The diluting of SASS CAS with the addition of a WB category is not sanctioned or intended by SASS. So yer argument about "diluting" CAS has no basis in fact.

Doc, WBAS is not a Category in CAS, and, yes, we shoot in categories not classes. WBAS is a whole new game, a different discipline. It was not ever and is not intended to be a category in SASS-CAS. Now if non-SASS CAS outfits want to have a WB category in with their regular match power to 'em but that is not how SASS wants it.

TWO entirely different great games. Separate. Not quite equal yet but hopefully someday. The diluting of SASS CAS with the addition of a WB category is not sanctioned or intended by SASS. So yer argument about "diluting" CAS has no basis in fact.

Well, your argument sounds good, and it might, by the technicalities, be true. But, Wild Bunch was created by SASS, is sanctioned by SASS, run by SASS, shot on SASS ranges, by SASS clubs and held in conjunction with many SASS matches. So, if its a different game it sure didn't fall far from the tree. Also, if its such a different breed, why is the wire full of WB stuff? I am sure that SASS does not want it to dilute their base, and I am sure that they hoped it would attract new shooters. I am just not sure it will work out that way. If I really wanted to shoot my 1911 in competition, I would go where that is the game, IPSC, Three Gun or IDPA or the like. But hey, that is just me.

Besides, my primary argument was not about Wild Bunch, it was that change and new classes (or categories if that makes you feel better) are an integral part of SASS as it is played today. I just can't see why SASS can stomach Wild Bunch but can't bare to allow 19th century double actions a "category." In the early days, the joke was that the list of guns allowed in SASS were awfully close to the list of guns sold by EMF, owned by Boyd Davis (AKA General U.S. Grant, SASS#2). Things have changed and EMF is not that much of player anymore, but we are still stuck with some odd things and they look even odder once they created Wild Bunch.

Just my Opinion.

Feel free to flame away on this, I will be out in the Alaskan Bush for the next week (Nome, Unlakleet, Shaktoolik, and Kotzebue) in an helicopter for work.

No worries Doc and no flamin' pard. It's just that I get a little defensive about all the negativism some of us express toward WBAS. I just love the new game. I still love CAS and shoot it at least 3 or 4 times a month.

But I really love WBAS, it has rejuvenated me. I admit I was a little jaded with CAS but WB is really truly fun for this ole duffer. I doan understand why so many have to bad mouth it. If'n ye doan wanta shoot it, don't. No one is twistin' anyone's arm. Overlook it, ignore it.

I shot IPSC decades ago. It no longer holds ANY interest for me whatsoever. Neither does IDPA or 3 gun. Doan even own a black rifle. But in WB I can use my levers and a 1911 and stoke the 97 mag with 6 shells and yeeehawww go to town. It puts a big smile on me ole sour puss. YMMV.

If the Wire is full of WB stuff, that's probably because they ain't seem or heard about the SASS Wild Bunch Forum. As fer WBAS diluting CAS... that's water that's already over the dam. With 31 categories, those cows are already outta the barn. As a good friend told me when we were discussin' his lack of attendence at CAS matches over the past 10-12 years and his apparent love of WB, "...it's like cowboy shootin was 20 years ago!"

With WBAS' emphasis on the pistol (strings of 15-20 pistol shots are not umcommon), reasonable power factor (applies to pistol & rifle ammo), stokin' the SG, it'd be perfect if they'd outlaw short-stroked rifles. While I hate the 1897 with my entire being, have a love/hate thing for my 1911s, I love lever action rifles; and since I wear boots & jeans ever day, this don't even feel as "costumy" as CAS.

It ain't someone's holding a gun to yer head makin' ya choose one o'er the other! It's like pocket pistol, derringer or long range events; a fun opportunity to shoot them guns if you like 'em. If you have enough participation to warrant adding it to your match, then you've probably got enough manpower to help ya run it.

The only thing funner than a 3-day match is a 4-day! This whole subject sounds remarkably like the discussions over addin' a second pistol to CAS! The sky didn't fall then either!

Tried cowboy shooting about 5 1/2 years ago. Traded the IPSC gun for my first cowboy rig (two rugers, two Marlin CBC, two IAC '97's, adequete holsters and shotgun belt). Met the friendliest people in the world who took me under their collective wing and helped me with everything from technique to telling a good story. Have passed on I don't know how many IDPA shoots because there was a cowboy shoot within 5 hours I would rather be at. Have had the same great experience with fun loving people in CO, AZ, UT, NM. Expect I will have more of the same as I get around to other states as well.

Gateway Kid

I think that Gateway Kid has probably hit on the main point here. I don't think that people want to change CAS; they want to shoot other guns with their CAS pards.

Since I started shooting CAS last December, I haven't shot any of my other guns. Shooting paper at the range isn't fun anymore, and I don't want to spend my weekend with a bunch of mall ninjas and Seal Team Six wantabes in order to shoot my modern guns in competition. Now if my cowboy pards put on a modern three gun match, I'd be all over it. Until then, I'll just stick to shooting my cowboy guns.

Hello,

My thinking about WB has evolved since I got bitten by that bug.

My first choice would be to have it as a separate sport like mounted shooting, which is what the BOD and WBAS Committee desire.

As an introductory trial in an area, I would suggest a separate posse use the same targets and be scored separately at a CAS match. It is a lot of work to set up a new club at a venue and folks may not know if it is worth that effort until the trial posse has grown to a decent size. Preferably, they could shoot after the CAS match so more folks could try it.

Last choice would be to have it as a trial category and allow a mixture with regular categories on a posse. It would still be scored and shot slightly differently. We, at The Outlaws, allow a Plainsman category and they shoot differently from the others (single shot rifle or muzzle loader). It would also require two experienced WB TOs.

For an initial trial, I would allow non-WB gauge guns. However, they would still need to be a semi-auto and a model '97. Many SASS affiliated clubs have alternate trial categories. SASS encourages it.

Folks like to try things before investing in new guns. In my area, we've had a WBAS club for over a year. I just started shooting it recently.

The ultimate goal is to separate CAS and WB.

This is not about changing CAS it is about gathering a following for a new sport after it has been determined that there are sufficient shooters desiring to shoot it in an area.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS In evaluating which annual matches to attend, a WB side match would be on the plus side for me.

First of all, I agree with those who say that those who want to expand into other types of firearms in cowboy matches should instead go to matches involving those types of firearms. Keep SASS the way it is.

As for fun at cowboy matches. I feel the "story" and some action other than shooting are important to make it more fun.

We had a club start up that didn't have any "story" for their stages but just stated the shooting procedure. After a year or so they asked if shooters wanted a "story" and the overwhelming answer was yes. There matches are much more fun now.

The "story" gives the shooters something to banter about as does the action. In our match last weekend we had a stage where between firearms the shooter had to go to a "nest" and get an egg, (golf ball) place it in a basket and return to the shooting position. The nest was designed so you couldn't see the eggs and had to reach into the nest and find one. One of the eggs was considered to be "rotten" (marked with an R). If you ended up with the rotten egg in your basket when you were done shooting you got a 5 second penalty. You could do whatever you wanted to not end up with the rotten egg. Some would find the rotten egg and toss it on the ground and get another. Some would inspect the eggs they had in the basket as they went back for another and replace it with a good egg.

There was more comments, jests, and banter than any other stage. Some shooters think they just come to shoot but I think it's these sort of things that make the Cowboy matches more fun.

We had another stage where you first fired a suction cup gun at a cut out of a frog to begin the match.

Sage Creek Gus

Sage has it right here.

One of my favorite ranges I've ever been to, and one we go back to even though it's a drive for us, is in Montrose, CO. Most of their stages have some story or activity that goes on before shooting even begins. One stage requires you to fish your shotshells out of a big tub of beans before you can load them, another requires you to hit a stuffed bear with an arrow before you can proceed (three chances, hitting it on the first try gives you a time advantage), another requires you to unlock yourself from a jail cell, another has a bank of targets which rock from side to side as you shoot at them, another has three big hanging chains which you can shoot at for points (a time bonus for hitting them, or you can skip it with no penalty).... not to mention the barrel on a track which you ride astraddle down a slope while trying to drop "dynamite" into buckets on the way down....

My least favorite shoots are those which are all about business- fastest time - with no story, no activity, and boring uniform targets set in seen-before conventional arrangements.

Trouble

First of all, I agree with those who say that those who want to expand into other types of firearms in cowboy matches should instead go to matches involving those types of firearms. Keep SASS the way it is.

As for fun at cowboy matches. I feel the "story" and some action other than shooting are important to make it more fun.

We had a club start up that didn't have any "story" for their stages but just stated the shooting procedure. After a year or so they asked if shooters wanted a "story" and the overwhelming answer was yes. There matches are much more fun now.

The "story" gives the shooters something to banter about as does the action. In our match last weekend we had a stage where between firearms the shooter had to go to a "nest" and get an egg, (golf ball) place it in a basket and return to the shooting position. The nest was designed so you couldn't see the eggs and had to reach into the nest and find one. One of the eggs was considered to be "rotten" (marked with an R). If you ended up with the rotten egg in your basket when you were done shooting you got a 5 second penalty. You could do whatever you wanted to not end up with the rotten egg. Some would find the rotten egg and toss it on the ground and get another. Some would inspect the eggs they had in the basket as they went back for another and replace it with a good egg.

There was more comments, jests, and banter than any other stage. Some shooters think they just come to shoot but I think it's these sort of things that make the Cowboy matches more fun.

We had another stage where you first fired a suction cup gun at a cut out of a frog to begin the match.

Sage Creek Gus

Ya know what?

This is one of the only explanations that makes sense to me.

I can see folks thinking this one out this way.

Cowboy is a lot of fun. Lots of cowboy matches. Let's integrate some of the other things "I" like to do into these cowboy matches.

That will be a lot easier than revitalizing the appropriate venue for this type of gun.

Of course, this mindset is how you end up taking pepperoni pizza that most folks enjoy in it's present state

and end up with pepperoni, sausage, pineapple, jellybean, popcorn, tofu, peanut butter (creamy and crunchy), chocolate chip, kiwi and ball bearing pizza.

That manages to offend everyone and satisfy no one.

And this is exactly what SASS was, and still is, trying to avoid. I know you understand but, I fear there's a lot of folks out there that still don't realize Cowboy Action Shooting and Wild Bunch Action Shooting are two completely separate sports. Yes, they both fall under the banner of SASS but, they're DIFFERENT. You don't shoot a cowboy match on Wild Bunch stages, nor do you do it the other way around. For that reason, it makes it extremely difficult to hold both types of matches concurrently. It would require either setting up and running two seperate matches at the same time or, tearing one down and then setting the other up. Talk about a lot of work! :wacko:

First of all, I know better than to reply to this, but obviously I don't have the self control necessary......

If you want to see a shooting sport die, don't change anything, don't try anything new and for gawd's sake, condemn those who do. I watched USPSA damn-near die over a period of years because they only had ONE type of gun (open) for all classes. It was not until they finally accepted Single Stack and Production catagories that they started growing again.

Creeker, I agree with most things you say, but, here you are bemoaning the existance of WB et. al. in the meantime we have 30+ shooting catagories?? Why do you think that is? - folks want something new to do. Something fresh. I think it's that simple. Are they all "cowboy"? - I think that may be open to personal opinion but no matter your view on that, I think we are treating the same disease with different medicine.

No offence intended, but I think it's a healthy sign to see this kind of change inside an organization. No change IMOHO, is usually the sign of a sport that is on the way down, not up.

Regards

Creeker, I agree with most things you say,

Okay - that in and of itself shows your first error.

but, here you are bemoaning the existance of WB et. al. in the meantime we have 30+ shooting catagories??

No, no no.

I have shot Wild Bunch, when it was offered at our State Championship, I even won it a couple of times.

But Wild Bunch is only perfectly ok AT A WILD BUNCH match. Not at a cowboy match.

Same as I shoot vintage bolt action from time to time - but not at a Cowboy match.

I drag out the 1911 or XD and shoot IPSC from time to time - but not at a Cowboy match.

I take my 28 Smith and shoot Steel Challenge from time to time - but not at a Cowboy match.

No offence intended, but I think it's a healthy sign to see this kind of change inside an organization. No change IMOHO, is usually the sign of a sport that is on the way down, not up.

I guess I'm a little different, I would rather see a contraction in Cowboy, than to see the game turned into something else just to keep growing.

GM could take the Corvette, make the car larger, make it a four passenger vehicle and more accessible, give it better mileage, even drop in a Hybrid system, maybe more attractive to larger number of buyers. But in doing so, they would lose what makes it a Corvette.

First of all, I know better than to reply to this, but obviously I don't have the self control necessary......

If you want to see a shooting sport die, don't change anything, don't try anything new and for gawd's sake, condemn those who do. I watched USPSA damn-near die over a period of years because they only had ONE type of gun (open) for all classes. It was not until they finally accepted Single Stack and Production catagories that they started growing again.

Creeker, I agree with most things you say, but, here you are bemoaning the existance of WB et. al. in the meantime we have 30+ shooting catagories?? Why do you think that is? - folks want something new to do. Something fresh. I think it's that simple. Are they all "cowboy"? - I think that may be open to personal opinion but no matter your view on that, I think we are treating the same disease with different medicine.

Regards

Dang It Dan, as you can tell I didn't have the self-control to keep my mouth shut either...mainly cuz Creeker's talking about one of my local clubs...I just wanted to say BRAVO...you said it 'dang' well! :D :D :D

No he's not. Creeker likes Wild Bunch. He's even offered to help me support it. But he understands what I've been trying to say; that SASS itself, our parent organization, wants Wild Bunch and Cowboy to be SEPARATE. If a club has the will and manpower to put on two separate matches then great, do it. But don't complain if a club doesn't combine both into the same match, that goes directly against the way it's supposed to be. And please don't shoot the messenger, I'm just passing on what SASS has put out many times. If anyone doesn't like the concept, they need to take it up with SASS. (I'll even give you Pecos Clyde's email adress. Just don't tell him it was me. ;) )

Regards

Change? You want change? How about introducing an entirely new SPORT? How's that for change? I offer you Wild Bunch Action shooting, a brand new sport introduced by SASS. As has been shown in this very thread, they've even got their own website. :FlagAm:

"Cowboy Action Shooting... Why doesn't anyone want to do it anymore?"

I think that there are more folks that want to do it than might be known. They are usually not the vocal group. No doubt that a great many of the people playing the game today have no idea what so ever as to what Cowboy Action Shooting was in the early days. It has become the norm for MD to line up the targets in a neat little row, out about 10' or so, then let the shooter get all ready and blast away with his popgun. Time... 18.23 seconds, Clean. Yeah baby.... on to the next stage. Well, I'm as guilty as anyone because I do it to. Not because it is my preference, but mostly because that is what the game has become, and I still want to participate. But it is certainly not what the game use to be. We use to carry the box of dynamite on the clock from one point to another... if it tilted, it went up in smoke! We use to ride the horse down the rail while others pushed us.. etc, etc, etc. Everything was done on the clock, and whinning was something that was seldom heard. I know that things change, and I know that everyone does not want to play Cowboy. But... I'm trying to sneak in a few Cowboy Action Shooting stages every chance I get...... maybe it will catch on. ;)

Snakebite

Did you ever consider that the most historically correct type of carry might be "single wheelgun"?

Seriously, esp. given hardware costs?

And that even today, there might be people who might love a "one gun" category, including reloading on the clock? It would keep the gear costs down for those starting out in particular, and as I said, it would actually be very historically accurate.

Why isn't there a place for that alongside the other categories you have already?

You can use one gun on any stage right now. We don't need to supply you with another category to do so. It's up to you. My good friend, the late Tom Doodly Squat, did it all the time. He would reload it on the clock, and still turn in a decent time. It was HIS CHOICE to do so. Now... if you really want to do it, then do it, the choice is yours.

Snakebite

Guest Texas Jack Black

I think that there are more folks that want to do it than might be known. They are usually not the vocal group. No doubt that a great many of the people playing the game today have no idea what so ever as to what Cowboy Action Shooting was in the early days. It has become the norm for MD to line up the targets in a neat little row, out about 10' or so, then let the shooter get all ready and blast away with his popgun. Time... 18.23 seconds, Clean. Yeah baby.... on to the next stage. Well, I'm as guilty as anyone because I do it to. Not because it is my preference, but mostly because that is what the game has become, and I still want to participate. But it is certainly not what the game use to be. We use to carry the box of dynamite on the clock from one point to another... if it tilted, it went up in smoke! We use to ride the horse down the rail while others pushed us.. etc, etc, etc. Everything was done on the clock, and whinning was something that was seldom heard. I know that things change, and I know that everyone does not want to play Cowboy. But... I'm trying to sneak in a few Cowboy Action Shooting stages every chance I get...... maybe it will catch on. ;)

Snakebite

You are right on. In the QUEST for speed we have seen the dumbing down of the game .SAD part is most do not even see it. Most of the old timers are gone or have passed.

You are right on. In the QUEST for speed we have seen the dumbing down of the game .SAD part is most do not even see it. Most of the old timers are gone or have passed.

Bull!

It's not a "Quest for speed". The fact is that the membership is aging and would have a hell of a time doing many of the things that were done back in the 80's and 90's. The shear volume of shooters at big matches has gone up dramatically and there simply isn't time to have 60 second stages (run by Top Shooters...which would equate to about 120 second stages for the lower 3rd of the pack).

:FlagAm:

Bull!

It's not a "Quest for speed". The fact is that the membership is aging and would have a hell of a time doing many of the things that were done back in the 80's and 90's. The shear volume of shooters at big matches has gone up dramatically and there simply isn't time to have 60 second stages (run by Top Shooters...which would equate to about 120 second stages for the lower 3rd of the pack).

Yeah right, then why has every firearm modification been made to increase speed, why are firearms modifications that were illegal several years ago now legal, it sure isn’t to make them more accurate. Why do targets keep getting closer and larger if it’s not all about speed. Show me one rule change that was not about keeping the go fast boys happy. :FlagAm:

I personally know some early-days shooters who have almost completely stopped shooting SASS because of the conditions you describe here.

Snakebite

Archived