SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Action Shooting...

Creeker, SASS #43022

Obviously my title is a bit in jest, I don't really think cowboy is in danger of fading away soon.

But, it seems like there are lots of posts on "Why can't we have a XXX category or XXX sidematch, where we use all these other guns that are not currently used in Cowboy Action?"

I want to use my military bolt action...

I want to use my 1911...

I want to use a DA revolver...

What happened to "I want to shoot cowboy?"

If you dislike the game so much, go start another. Or join another organization that supports your goals.

I have heard from shooters that will not shoot a annual match because they don't offer a Wild Bunch side match.

"If there is no Wild Bunch, there is no reason for me to come."

Really? Cause the numerous COWBOY ACTION side matches, mini match, team events, twelve stages of main match aren't a draw for you?

I have heard from shooters that will not attend monthly matches because their bolt rifles are not allowed at the long range side matches.

Or there is not a 1911 side match.

Regardless of all the other opportunity to shoot these non cowboy guns, somehow if they can't do it at a cowboy match, they no longer want to play.

I want to use my military bolt action rifle... http://www.vimbar.com/index.html

I want to use my 1911... http://www.ipsc.org/ http://www.idpa.com/ http://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/

I want to use my DA revolver... http://www.idpa.com/ http://www.uspsa.org/

There are plenty of venues for other guns and other games.

What happened that no one wants to just play cowboy anymore?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LET ME SHOOT COWBOY.

There was a time when "ALL" I wanted to do was shoot Cowboy. Then I wanted to shoot pocket pistol (so I bought one), and long range (ditto), toyed with the idea of a 5" 1911, trading off my 4", then I had an epiphany. I haven't shot pocket pistol or long range rifle in 4 years. I shoot COWBOY at every match. I'm no longer kidding myself. If I wanna buy a gun, I buy a gun. I don't "why can't" my way into justifying it ;)

I shoot cowboy.

I shot cowboy side matches on Friday.

6 main match stages today.

6 more main match states tomorrow.

After that, I quit. No more cowboy shooting.

til the second Saturday in September :D And then the third Saturday, etc etc.

I have a 1911 - I don't wanna shoot Wild Bunch.

I also have old military bolt guns & some DA revolvers - I don't wanna shoot of that other stuff that was linked either.

Ya know what - I really don't enjoy shooting all those side matches offered either.

BUT - my wife, daughter, & I try to shoot Cowboy at least twice a month - and if I had more time & money we would shoot Cowboy every weekend.

A big +1 for Creeker.

And on the same note. If you want some type of special category or side match, get with you club officials and offer to set it up and run it.

This raises the question:

How much Action should there be in Cowboy Action Shooting ??

If you can shoot Stand and Deliver in 25, 30, 40 , etc seconds, how much action will you accept ? Movement, prop interaction, etc. ?

If I write a stage with more than 3 to 5 seconds Action, I get complaints. 15 years ago, we often had 10 + seconds of action.

I shoot a Stand and Deliver in 20 seconds or so, but I like another 10 to 15 seconds of action.

Curious ?

It's just a few people who for whatever reason want something different.

CAS matches are still CAS matches.

I see the lack of Action at some matches, as C0ckr0ach has brought up to be more of a problem than the folks who want to go off on tangents.

I have several miltary bolt action rifles, several 1911's and a bunch of other guns. I like to shoot guns, end of statement. I also like shooting SASS. I like shooting SASS because I get to play with single action revolvers, old lever action rifles and SxS shot guns. If I wanted to shoot the 1911's, I would enter competitions that featured them. If I wanted to shoot the Springfield or the Swedish Mausers, I would do the military rifle matches. I see no reason to change what SASS is about. There are plenty of shooting sports that cater to my other guns.

I agree with Creeker. I shoot an old tyme caliber (.44-40) with nothing but real BP because I want to get the feel of what it was like back then. I look forward to Guns Of The Old West mag and True West mag. Can't git enuff of this stuff. It's always been about shootin cowboy fer me.:) Rye

This raises the question:

How much Action should there be in Cowboy Action Shooting ??

If you can shoot Stand and Deliver in 25, 30, 40 , etc seconds, how much action will you accept ? Movement, prop interaction, etc. ?

If I write a stage with more than 3 to 5 seconds Action, I get complaints. 15 years ago, we often had 10 + seconds of action.

I shoot a Stand and Deliver in 20 seconds or so, but I like another 10 to 15 seconds of action.

Curious ?

Ok, I'll bite.

Give me an example, what exactly do you think we're missing in a match; that an "Acceptable" total stage time would be 30 or 35 seconds, when the SHOOTING component is only 20 seconds?

Don't forget you can use your pre 1900 DA revolvers in NCOWS matches.

Reread and saw that you said NCOWS and since most of the posts were SASS,I read that.

In fact I shot my 1877 Colt Lightning today in a shoot. Didn't hit kuch but it was a hoot to shoot.

Mingo

When I shoot SASS it's with 44 cal blackpowder in the rifle and handguns and my 12 guage dbl shotgun. When I want to shoot my 1911, S&W revolvers, CZ75B I shoot them in the other games that were mentioned. I enjoy them all. For me part of the attraction of shooting several different shooting sports is that whatever weekend day that I have off, I can usually go to one or another of the shooting matches that fall on that day. No SASS on my day off, I can shoot one of the others. Smokin Gator

Really....I was told I couldn't shoot my 1877 Colt because it was DA. Same when I had the Starr DA and wanted to use it.

Just curious.

Mingo

I don't know who told you that, I see you over on CAS City, bemoaning the lack of authenticity is SASS, perhaps you should ask the NCOWS wire there about your DA pistols. I shoot both my Colt's New Service, and Webley MKIV in NCOWS matches.

I don't know who told you that, I see you over on CAS City, bemoaning the lack of authenticity is SASS, perhaps you should ask the NCOWS wire there about your DA pistols. I shoot both my Colt's New Service, and Webley MKIV in NCOWS matches.

Reread the post and revised mine. Your right though, think I'll just stick with NCOWS topics .

Mingo

+1 Creeker.

I could go shoot a lot of different things.

But Cowboy is all I still want to do.

IF. That ever changes. I will go do something else. NOT, try and change SASS to something else.

I came for the shooting but I stay for the people. Punching holes in paper alone isn't that much fun. Nothing beats the ring of steel and the laughter of my friends. At the end of our last practice session a few of us tried to best each other in an impromptu shooting game. That was fun. I have never encountered a more fun bunch of folks.

The only problem with the constant repetitive questions is that it points directly to the lack of "history" on topics and the sadder lack of a FAQ section. In fact, the argument could be made that it shows people are thinking... not brain dead.

And there's at least a couple of reasons that folks ask those questions here. Off the top of my head, they mighta asked at their club and got a "less than satisfactory" answer. Ever hear, "... 'cause that's the way it is..." Ain't a real answer. Maybe they got a couple of conflicting answers. They might get those here also... but usually more of the "right" than the "wrong". And, somewhere in those right answers, there's probably one that resonates with them and they can understand or relate to.

They might be embarrassed to ask in front of what they view as experienced folks, and the faceless nature of forums provides them the anonimity they feel comfortable with.

Who knows, someone just might dream up the perfect category that leaves 25 of the 30-some current categories as deserted as a Death Valley campground in August! But, realistically, that's as likely to happen as resolving the TT vs. RP debate!

I'm just a poor lonesome cowboy and a long long way from home (USA), but I WANT to carry on shooting CAS and don't care to shoot with DA or Automatic pistols or with a bolt action military gun.

My SAAs, my '73 or '92 and my '87 are much more fun than any other gun I can use drilling a paper targer in the usual French range! Olympic shooting is not my cup of tea!

And so is Hugo Boy, life 88302, my granson, first French Buckaroo, who enjoy greatly shooting CAS after 3 years of "plinking paper" with an air gun......

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

In our outfit, we do want to keep shooting SASS.

If we (occasionally) want to shoot WB, we will go to one.

And If we want to shoot old military firearms, we head for a GAF Muster.

Please, let's not muddy up SASS.

MG, CJ. WW, AO, CG, TST.

I like shooting them all. SASS, IDPA, Wild Bunch, Extreme Rimfire and I've even been seen shooting some sporting clays from time to time. Each shooting sport has different rules and strengths. I'm not in favor of mixing them.

Over the past 50 years I have been involved in many shooting sports. Your interest grows and fades in all activities over time. Some you go back to, some you don't. I find the shooting sports under the SASS umbrella the most fun. As I grow older the more competitive sports (read money) interest me less and I am more interested in the social side of shooting. I may go to a match and not shoot at all, just be a Conventioneer, if I like the people but not the match.

Heck, I just want to shoot to proficiency with the cowboy guns I have. I seldom shoot my 1911, or most of my semi-autos. I can't shoot a single action enough, it seems!

The only problem with the constant repetitive questions is that it points directly to the lack of "history" on topics and the sadder lack of a FAQ section. In fact, the argument could be made that it shows people are thinking... not brain dead.

And there's at least a couple of reasons that folks ask those questions here. Off the top of my head, they mighta asked at their club and got a "less than satisfactory" answer. Ever hear, "... 'cause that's the way it is..." Ain't a real answer. Maybe they got a couple of conflicting answers. They might get those here also... but usually more of the "right" than the "wrong". And, somewhere in those right answers, there's probably one that resonates with them and they can understand or relate to.

They might be embarrassed to ask in front of what they view as experienced folks, and the faceless nature of forums provides them the anonimity they feel comfortable with.

Who knows, someone just might dream up the perfect category that leaves 25 of the 30-some current categories as deserted as a Death Valley campground in August! But, realistically, that's as likely to happen as resolving the TT vs. RP debate!

A whole lot of +1's for this answer.

I'll add a few things to it as well: it might be that folks are bedazzled by the 11ty three different categories, or

are confused by the procedures and penalties. Perhaps it's the rules; when they read them make no dang sense and they

are easily interpreted by every expert yet no two agree, and we have to have PWB help us regularly. Shouldn't that be

a warning right there on it's own?

Or it could be that they read about stuff on the SASS site and refuse to believe that people who write such sarcastic things

on the wire don't actually think such things, thus they're afraid they'll somehow make a mistake and get embarrassed.

Or it could be that have limited resources, and don't want to start out by introducing themselves in that way, so they poke at

it from another direction.

Or, they may be unwilling to commit that much money & to a game they haven't really embraced yet, and may never.

Not everyone was brought up on cowboy movies, some like detective or period dramas as much or more.

Others may never have the time to really commit, they want to stay on the fringe, and not be excluded but can't get fully included.

There are a lot of reasons for people to be reserved and to ask questions about the boundaries, and the response they get tells

them about the character of the people they are meeting.

I've been in SASS since 97, and I like the game like it was then - 14 years ago, but it's still fun as all get out these days . . .

I can think of several significant simplifications I'd make if I were king, but I'm not, I don't want to be, and I'm happy as it is . . .

when I'm not I'll go shoot IDPA, IPSC, Zoot, or any other game I want to play.

The real day to fear is the day no one comes around to ask . . . they just fade away . . . .

Shadow Catcher

I agree with Creeker... I don't enjoy seeing SASS muddied up. IMHO there are too many categories and disciplines as it is within SASS. And plenty of other places to shoot those other guns if that's what you want to shoot. Sometimes I feel like shooting cowboy, other weeks I want to do something different, and there are plenty of other organizations that specialize in each thing that there's no need to mix them. Trying to be something to everyone dilutes your product to the point you become nothing to everyone.

Thanks by the way for the plug of our website (vimbar.com/goldenspikerange.com). My Lee Enfield is one of my favorite guns...We have a BLAST at these military matches and I would encourage anyone within driving distance of our range to come give us a try. There aren't many places around where you can shoot at distances in excess of 1,000 yards. :D

Sweet Trouble

I started shooting IDPA 3 years ago, and it's a blast; BUT, no where as much fun as smoke & fire as a Frontiersman. While I fairly new to cowboy and enjoy both, if I had to give up one, it would be IDPA. -- Grizhicks

Archived