SASS Wire Forum

Bullets getting stuck in my Dillion SDB

Ralphie Parker

After loading about 300-400 rounds the bullets will get stuck up inside the loader. I use Moulton leads 38 cal 105 GR TC bullets. Is there anything I can do to prevent this and what should I use to clean the loader out. Note before I went to Moulton bullets I was using bullet from Bullets Direct RNFP 125 gr I loaded 4000 rounds with no stuck bullets. Please help RP

Sounds like you might need to back off on the expander die. The case mouth only needs to be expanded barely enogh to start the bullet. If they are getting stuck in the bullet seat die the case mouth is more than likely over expanded.

Clean the seating die with whatever ya got, gun cleaner, mineral spirits, Ballistol..etc.. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

+1 for both above. Called Dillion when it first happened to me. They gave the same advice. Clean on a regular basis!! :FlagAm:

After loading about 300-400 rounds the bullets will get stuck up inside the loader. I use Moulton leads 38 cal 105 GR TC bullets. Is there anything I can do to prevent this and what should I use to clean the loader out. Note before I went to Moulton bullets I was using bullet from Bullets Direct RNFP 125 gr I loaded 4000 rounds with no stuck bullets. Please help RP

Ralphie,

I use Break Free and a tooth pick to clean the lube out. Sometimes it can get really plugged up that you will need to pull the die out, disassemble and clean out with a patch or brush. Sounds like you are packed full of lube up in the seating die, I would take it apart to clean it this time.

The lub ring on Moulton's 105's look like they are wider than other bullets I get from them, maybe the build up is happening quicker on the 105's. I load the 125's and 147g, and clean the seating die about every 1000.

JS Sooner

Interesting as I had the same problem. Seemed about every 300 or so they got stuck. I also used Moultons (and still do). Then they changed their lube, as I recall, and I did not have trouble. Don't remember how many I loaded with no problem but then I also decided to switch to their 125's and have never had a problem with them. Works well for me because with my pistols there is so very little difference for me in how it feels when I shoot that I am sticking with the 125's.

I use Moulton's 105's.. for last 3 years.. 8000 rounds

I have never had one stick in my Dillon 550 loader...

But.. I clean my dies.. maybe every 1500 to 2000 rounds or so...

The seating die always has wax build up in it..

I've cut a popcycle stick.. :blush: flat/staight across on one end.. barely fits into a 38 die

but twist it and it cleans the wax out.. of course I always flush it out also...

I also load 125's.. they don't stick either... :blush:

Rance <_<

To much SPG lube build up in the seating die caused sticking bullets for me, and it also builds up in the crimping die, but less so. Cleaning and maintenance is part of reloading.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24469/catid/4/Dillon_Seating_Dies

Disasseble the seating die. Clean the inside with any cleaner and a shop swab. Then inside the die is a flip-flop seating stem for the 2 common ogives of bullets. Turn it around and give it a try. Believe your TC bullet nose are getting stuck inside the RNFP seating stem in addition to any old lube caked in it

PS ... Most folks don't even know the flip-flop seater exists in the Dillon seating die ... UNLESS THEY HAVE READ THE MANUAL FOR DILLON DIES ;)

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24469/catid/4/Dillon_Seating_Dies

Disasseble the seating die. Clean the inside with any cleaner and a shop swab. Then inside the die is a flip-flop seating stem for the 2 common ogives of bullets. Turn it around and give it a try. Believe your TC bullet nose are getting stuck inside the RNFP seating stem in addition to any old lube caked in it

PS ... Most folks don't even know the flip-flop seater exists in the Dillon seating die ... UNLESS THEY HAVE READ THE MANUAL FOR DILLON DIES ;)

Hey JB, the SD uses different dies and they don't flip over. I have separate dies, RN and RNFP, but you still have to make sure the right one is in place, and you still have to clean them out once in awhile. Well, you do if you don't want problems with sticking bullets. First time it happened to me I puzzled over it until I pulled the die...couldn't believe how much lube was in there.

Archived