SASS Wire Forum

Very Sad News

Capt. Jake Cutter

Really sad news to report. Mike Vogelsein aka St. Joe's Sheriff passed away this evening. I just do not have the words. He was one of the kindest, most generous men I have ever known. As gracious and as wonderful man as you would ever want to meet. My love and prayers go out to all Mikey's friends and family. He will never be replaced and our campfires will never be the same. God Bless you Mikey.

I remember at the big shoots, in the Whack Pack camp, Mike would be one of the first to get up. We'd sit around an early-morning campfire as the sun warmed us up, drinking coffee and talking about nothing in particular. Mike would usually make a joke or three and we'd laugh. Just a great way to start a shoot day. I'm going to miss him around those early morning campfires. I'll miss his gentle good humor and mostly I'll miss him. Rest in Peace, Mike.

Lucky and I sat around the Whack Pack campfire with Mike less than a week ago at the Chorro Valley Shoot-Out. I just don't have the words......he was as gentle and kind as he was big - probably more so. Prayers up for his family and friends. God Bless, Mike.

Prayers up from Texas for his family and friends.

I first met St. Joes Sheriff many moons ago when I ran my first John Wayne Shoot-Out and he's been to every one since. Got this pic at awards last Sunday. "Mike" was always ready with a hand shake and a compliment. He will be honored in Chorro Valley. Vaya con dios mi amigo.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/fillmorecoffins/mike.jpg

Fillmore

Very sad news. I never really got to know St. Joe's Sheriff, but he came across as a good natured and very kind man. I was at the Chorro Valley shoot last weekend and I did see him several times walking with Spence, Swifty and the gang, he seemed to be having a great time. We have all lost a great Pard who will be sorely missed.

My sincere condolences and prayers lifted up for Mike's family and his close friends.

Ricochet Roy

This is really sad news. As others have noted, he was definitely one of the good guys. He always had a big smile and a kind word. And he gave great hugs! He will be greatly missed. :(

Mike was some one who ALWAYS had your back, in todays world those are few and far between. I wish I was better at this kind of thing

hud

What a sad passing.

For all those of you who were thinking about heading to Piru for the Hole In The Wall 1st Sunday Match on Sunday, September 4; as a memorial to Mike/St. Joe's Sheriff, I'm calling out all of you who are going to join a bunch of us in wearing the outfit that Mike usually wore; black pants/white shirt/black hat, and in shooting Duelist, as Mike did. I know that I will.

It'll be a bit of fun, but mostly, a memorial to our good friend, and a great guy.

Cheers,

Frederick Jackson Turner

Archived