SASS Wire Forum

War of the Worlds...

Deja Vous

This is one of the great CD's left behind for me.. and after all this time I finally played it for the first time tonight.. I use to travel as an auditor for Zales. On my frequent flyer trips with South West Airlines, lol.. I would put on a headphone set and listen to old time radio. The had a channel that played radio stories. I love them. i could simply imagine the whole scene in my head. At times I was alone in a whole row and the headset is all I had. I am pretty sure the Flight Attendants were happy to get me to shut up and listen to something since the movie didn't seem to stop me.. lol..

Anyhow the tape is the War of the Worlds put to music.. It is two CD's and tons of music.. one song is "But you not there" not sure is that the Moody Blues or not? Nice song.. but I like the story part.. and the music goes on and one and one.. lol..

I was raised after the Radio era, so TV is what I do know .. but my grandmother loved the old radio stuff and I got pretty wrapped up in it with her.. lol.. We would close our eyes and pretend .. it was pretty cool..

So, now I need to scour garage sales for CDs of this stuff.. and maybe give my CD to a music lover for that era of stuff.. What are some old greats?

This is one of the great CD's left behind for me.. and after all this time I finally played it for the first time tonight.. I use to travel as an auditor for Zales. On my frequent flyer trips with South West Airlines, lol.. I would put on a headphone set and listen to old time radio. The had a channel that played radio stories. I love them. i could simply imagine the whole scene in my head. At times I was alone in a whole row and the headset is all I had. I am pretty sure the Flight Attendants were happy to get me to shut up and listen to something since the movie didn't seem to stop me.. lol..

Anyhow the tape is the War of the Worlds put to music.. It is two CD's and tons of music.. one song is "But you not there" not sure is that the Moody Blues or not? Nice song.. but I like the story part.. and the music goes on and one and one.. lol..

I was raised after the Radio era, so TV is what I do know .. but my grandmother loved the old radio stuff and I got pretty wrapped up in it with her.. lol.. We would close our eyes and pretend .. it was pretty cool..

So, now I need to scour garage sales for CDs of this stuff.. and maybe give my CD to a music lover for that era of stuff.. What are some old greats?

Check here: http://www.freeotrshows.com/otr/l/Lux_Radio_Theater.html

Scroll down towards the bottom: Ghost & Mrs. Muir, Miracle on 34th Street, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Mrs. Minever.

Hey! http://www.archive.org/details/Lux01 Go wild! That Internet Archive is a real treasure trove.

Deja,

If you haven't seen the movie, here is the 1953 version made from the original radio show.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16445986

Classic Si-Fi. I watch it every year, at Holloween.

Dutchman

Hi, Dejah,

I could be wrong on this, but the only musical version of "War of the Worlds" I know of is Jeff Wayne's version, originally done in 1978, and narrated by Richard Burton. I've got it in both LP and CD. Here's more info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wayne's_Musical_Version_of_The_War_of_the_Worlds

The Moody Blues aren't in it, but Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues is. He sings "Forever Autumn", which I think is what you're calling " but you're not there".

I agree with you about this album; I really like it.

I found a set of cassettes with the original radio version by Orson Welles and gave it to my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. They were on their honeymoon in the Oregon woods when it first aired and had never heard it before. They were kindly appreciative but don't think they saw what all the fuss had been about.

My father took me to see the 1953 version when it came to our local theater. I was about 5 at the time and it scared the heck out of me :o . I spent the last 3/4 of the movie playing in the lobby with the other kids that were to scared to go back in and watch. My father on the other hand stayed and watched the rest of the movie!

Great movie though. I now watch the whole thing when ever it comes around :)

Deja,

If you haven't seen the movie, here is the 1953 version made from the original radio show.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16445986

Classic Si-Fi. I watch it every year, at Holloween.

Dutchman

Hey Deja;

If you like War of the Worlds, you'll love Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth. And to a lesser extent: his King Arthur's Tales and White Rock.

Check here: http://www.freeotrsh...io_Theater.html

Scroll down towards the bottom: Ghost & Mrs. Muir, Miracle on 34th Street, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Mrs. Minever.

Hey! http://www.archive.org/details/Lux01 Go wild! That Internet Archive is a real treasure trove.

Thanks so much... I have been looking at garage sales too.. I love to just set back and imagine.. it is so much fun..

Hey Deja;

If you like War of the Worlds, you'll love Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth. And to a lesser extent: his King Arthur's Tales and White Rock.

thanks Unos.. I will have to look for those too..

Thanks so much... I have been looking at garage sales too.. I love to just set back and imagine.. it is so much fun..

My pleasure, Ma'am. Nice thing about that Archives site, you can download the stuff and burn it onto a CD, make your own mix.

Hi, Dejah,

I could be wrong on this, but the only musical version of "War of the Worlds" I know of is Jeff Wayne's version, originally done in 1978, and narrated by Richard Burton. I've got it in both LP and CD. Here's more info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wayne's_Musical_Version_of_The_War_of_the_Worlds

The Moody Blues aren't in it, but Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues is. He sings "Forever Autumn", which I think is what you're calling " but you're not there".

I agree with you about this album; I really like it.

You are correct.. and yes I am not really good at who was in the Moody Blues.. I did like their music a bit because it was serene.. That seemed to calm my spirit a bit ... I listened to CD 2 tonight.. While it was cool... I would like to latch on to some ole Radio Broadcasts. I miss the days of being on the plane and listening to a "story" ... I have forever loved a story. I think being the youngest migh be why. Everyone told me a story, everyone quided me in life... everyone refered to me as the baby.. so.. it is only natural that I would miss the past with those things in it. I can not think of one time growing up that I did not have everyone well aware of the fact in our little town that I was the baby of 7 kids.. and the brothers loved their baby sister.. lol..

today they are so much older than I am and have health problems.. I miss them a lot.. but life does flow forward like the river we use to all dive into and play in.. lol..

And it is forever Autsumn.. the phrase "but you're not there" is haunting, huh?

My pleasure, Ma'am. Nice thing about that Archives site, you can download the stuff and burn it onto a CD, make your own mix.

So.. this is not a limewire?? but more like Aries.. lol

I have the two CD set of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, and Justin Hayward's song Forever Autumn rips my heart out every time . . .

Someday Deja we'll sit around a campfire and share a bottle of friendship, and I'll take you on a magical musical mystery tour that will amaze and delight . .

Music is a gift from God, ever we must thank him for it - both the joy and the pain . . . it's what makes us human . . .

SC

pm to me your snail mail address _ I'll burn ya a copy of this one . . . . with pleasure . . .

Have a ball:

http://objflicks.com/

http://www.archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

http://www.radiolovers.com/

SC

I found a set of cassettes with the original radio version by Orson Welles and gave it to my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. They were on their honeymoon in the Oregon woods when it first aired and had never heard it before. They were kindly appreciative but don't think they saw what all the fuss had been about.

so, uh what date is your party up there? Peppers and I were talking about it tonight,... and JJJ's might get a day off ..and come with us. I think this is would a party to NOT miss.. lol

Hey Deja;

I read the book.. I believe it wa a pretty old one because it was one of my dad's. And I saw the movie... I think Pat Boone was in it around 1959... or so? I saw it twice, once later...

I have the two CD set of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, and Justin Hayward's song Forever Autumn rips my heart out every time . . .

Someday Deja we'll sit around a campfire and share a bottle of friendship, and I'll take you on a magical musical mystery tour that will amaze and delight . .

Music is a gift from God, ever we must thank him for it - both the joy and the pain . . . it's what makes us human . . .

SC

pm to me your snail mail address _ I'll burn ya a copy of this one . . . . with pleasure . . .

Someday we will have to do that.. Please bring your wife and I will bring my pards.. and we will have the best time!!!

Music is a gift, and I hear my heart in so many songs.

Forever autumn is a song I remembered after I lost my husband so many years ago. He had this great wacyy sense of humor. He had passion, and he taught me to use mine ... I hope I remember that one forever. It has taken me a long time to understand his message ot me ... And music does play a part in that. He loved to play and sing. he would sing to me corney little songs he made up.. and we would laugh half the night .. and yeah... I would learn verses and sing iwth him.. lol. It is hard to move one once you have found a soul who loves you for you and teaches you to grow.

Finding someone who has passion and love of life and humor.. and.. and a.. geesh.. I know it is too much.. as they say sometimes we remember them as being better than they were? But I do have a friend who does spread humor.. and lites the passion of life for me like he did.. And that helps a lot..

I am so happy that I got to love him.. God gave me that.

Archived