SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch arms

BadButch Larue

Hello toall my felow mwbers!

This is my first time using a forum so please bear with me. Iam a Cowboy fan since I was about 6. Now Sass has come along and providied me with a LOT of friends with the same interests Hats oof for th wikd Bunch!

My topic tonight is: weapons used in the movie "The wild Bunch". When the wild bunch was robbing the bank their pursuers were on top of a building across from the bank.After the shooting stopped there was an argument between 2 memebers of the "posse'. It was over who killed one of the ron=bbers. An actor who I can't remeber although he's been in many westerns bu no name comes to mind, anyway he claimed he killed the robbber his supposed friend sid he did. a nasty argument ensuedand one line from that arguement was " can't you see that hole is from my 06?"

Maeaning 30.06 which if you look close he indeed carrys a Springfield 30.06. And the Mexicans carried bolt action Mausers.

therefore my question is why don't we allow Mausers or Springfields. Just because the guy was a dirty backstabbing "lawman" doesn'ttarnish the reputation of the weapon, and the Spanish supplied Masuers then are practically identical to the one I have over my fireplace, made in 1947 in La Coruna Spain, 1947.

Chambered in 8mm, it kicks real hard, but will reach WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy out thar.

So why don't we allow Mausers or Springields in Wild Bunch. Both weapons were used in the movie, and the rifles stoen from the train for sale to the roque Mexican General were Springfields.

I know some one will say well lets allow machine guns too. Everyone knows we are talking about mall arms for SASS, not heavy weapons )and I don't mean weight) for or matches. It woud prtray the movie's theme that being a bandit is getting more complicated evry day. Plus more variety in the long guns of SASS, except the single shot long range category. I think that 1. They were used in the movie.

They bridge the gap from the 1800's the to thw new century. I think of the 1911 is allowed,why not; the next step up from single action revolvers is semi-automatic handguns. A comination of 1911's, shotguns, lever actions and bolt action rifles would really be a WILD BUNCH!!!! Outlaws and good guys would and still do, buy the latest model weapon, and both the Springfield and Mauser have proven their battleworthiness, in 3 wars so why not let a member choose which rifle he desires. I believe in all our memeberships and our ammo sponsers some one can supply a lower velocity round so as not to penetrate the target and keep on going, or obliterte the target.plus very good surplus Mausers can be had for a lot less than the leveractions avalible today.

A little variety makes things more interesting.

Stay careful all,

Bad Butch

http://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/

First of all, welcome to this addicting game! Are you aware that the Wild Bunch has their own forums? I've included a link. You're more likely to get more responses over on that one. There are certainly those of us that shoot both, but over there you'll find more people interested in it! Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

So why don't we allow Mausers or Springields in Wild Bunch. it was in the movie

Bad Butch

Why don't we allow Wiseinhymer model 98, it was in the movie

Why don't we allow Model 12, it was in the movie

Why don't we allow Broom Handle, it was in the movie

Why don't we allow, fill in the blank -----------

Why??

The primary goal is not to conform to the fine details of a movie, or specific time frame, but rather to insure consistency of play no matter where you go to play.

However there are many local clubs that do allow a variety of firearms from that era, and even more that allow the 38sp in the rifle, check your local listings. Good Luck :)

WB in the Carolinas

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I have adopted the quotes from the CC about cowboy-action being a shooting sport based somewhat on late 19-th century and B-Western. We shoot modified guns (so did the best of the gunmen in those decades). We modify our loads (so did those gunmen). Some guns that were actually used in those decades are not SASS-legal and would not be competitive or would be unsafe in SASS matches. If I had lived in the 1880's my guns would have been a Colt 1878 Double-action in .45 Colt and my rifle would have been a Winchester 1876 short rifle in .45-60 or Marlin 1881 in .45-70. None of those guns are SASS-legal. None of those guns would be safe or competitive in a SASS main match.

If you really get into this game/sport/way-of-life then it will take all of your energy to do well with main matches, side matches and WB within the rules as they exist.

Welcome to the fire!

Because Wild Bunch Action Shooting is NOT about the movie! Read the rules. It is NOT about the movie! If you want to shoot the contents of your gunsafe, fine, but that is not WBAS.

PS: The side match Team Event IS about the closing scene of the movie. See page 12 of the WB Rules for details.

Because Wild Bunch Action Shooting is NOT about the movie! Read the rules. It is NOT about the movie! If you want to shoot the contents of your gunsafe, fine, but that is not WBAS.

PS: The side match Team Event IS about the closing scene of the movie. See page 12 of the WB Rules for details.

Seems like some floks just don't get it!!

Drifter

Fron the OP: "So why don't we allow Mausers or Springields in Wild Bunch. Both weapons were used in the movie, and the rifles stoen from the train for sale to the roque Mexican General were Springfields."

Cause dems da rules.

From what I have heard and read about the making of the movie. It was shot in Mexico they had to use Star Model Bs in 9mm could not use 45 autos. Dare i saw switch from 45 to 9MM? We are playing a game based on a movie about about something a writer thought up that really did not happen, some body had to make some rules..Irish Pat sass 19486

Many of the steel targets that clubs use could not hold up to a load with as much power as a 30.06 (or similar caliber).

Its cheaper to purchase softer steel targets and while they can stand up to CAS loads, high power rifle loads would eat them up.

+1

Many of the steel targets that clubs use could not hold up to a load with as much power as a 30.06 (or similar caliber).

Its cheaper to purchase softer steel targets and while they can stand up to CAS loads, high power rifle loads would eat them up.

Any club where I've been when they were shooting bolt action rifles for a side match required lead cast bullets and loaded down charges if they were shooting at their regular steel targets. Not a problem.

Hello toall my felow mwbers!

This is my first time using a forum so please bear with me. Iam a Cowboy fan since I was about 6. Now Sass has come along and providied me with a LOT of friends with the same interests Hats oof for th wikd Bunch!

My topic tonight is: weapons used in the movie "The wild Bunch". When the wild bunch was robbing the bank their pursuers were on top of a building across from the bank.After the shooting stopped there was an argument between 2 memebers of the "posse'. It was over who killed one of the ron=bbers. An actor who I can't remeber although he's been in many westerns bu no name comes to mind, anyway he claimed he killed the robbber his supposed friend sid he did. a nasty argument ensuedand one line from that arguement was " can't you see that hole is from my 06?"

Maeaning 30.06 which if you look close he indeed carrys a Springfield 30.06. And the Mexicans carried bolt action Mausers.

therefore my question is why don't we allow Mausers or Springfields. Just because the guy was a dirty backstabbing "lawman" doesn'ttarnish the reputation of the weapon, and the Spanish supplied Masuers then are practically identical to the one I have over my fireplace, made in 1947 in La Coruna Spain, 1947.

Chambered in 8mm, it kicks real hard, but will reach WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy out thar.

So why don't we allow Mausers or Springields in Wild Bunch. Both weapons were used in the movie, and the rifles stoen from the train for sale to the roque Mexican General were Springfields.

I know some one will say well lets allow machine guns too. Everyone knows we are talking about mall arms for SASS, not heavy weapons )and I don't mean weight) for or matches. It woud prtray the movie's theme that being a bandit is getting more complicated evry day. Plus more variety in the long guns of SASS, except the single shot long range category. I think that 1. They were used in the movie.

They bridge the gap from the 1800's the to thw new century. I think of the 1911 is allowed,why not; the next step up from single action revolvers is semi-automatic handguns. A comination of 1911's, shotguns, lever actions and bolt action rifles would really be a WILD BUNCH!!!! Outlaws and good guys would and still do, buy the latest model weapon, and both the Springfield and Mauser have proven their battleworthiness, in 3 wars so why not let a member choose which rifle he desires. I believe in all our memeberships and our ammo sponsers some one can supply a lower velocity round so as not to penetrate the target and keep on going, or obliterte the target.plus very good surplus Mausers can be had for a lot less than the leveractions avalible today.

A little variety makes things more interesting.

Stay careful all,

Bad Butch

hey , i have an idea why don't everybody that wants all the different guns and gear come out and shoot wild bunch as it is and see whats happening before you want to change it. perhaps there will be some understanding why wild bunch is done as it is. remember the wild bunch game is a step up in performance, it's about shooting. so when you draw that 1911 in 45 acp that is making a minimum pf of 150 and you put 20 shots down range dropping mags at slide lock and reloading at targets out to cowboy rifle target distance. getting your 40 cal or larger rifle and dropping another 8-10 targets some close some further. don't forget the shotgun a 97 stoked to the gills and emptied in rapid fashion very seldom reloaded. wild bunch also shoots at falling plates , texas stars, standard cowboy targets moved back. you come out and shoot a few of these matches and you will see wild bunch should stay as it is for now. the rules are kept simple. gear to a minimum. we have 4 catagories and 3 guns....simple, yes................DUSTY BODDEMS

Archived