SASS Wire Forum

Slugs and brass shotshells?

Castalia,SASS#18915

There was an article about loading brass shells in Guns of the Old West #67 Fall 2010. The article was about shot loads and I found it interesting.

Loading dies are available from RCBS. Part# 99060.

Casting molds are available from Lyman. Part# 2654012

Loading Data for plastic shells is in the Lyman shotshell reloading manual. Is there a difference between plastic and brass shells?

Wad data is available from Circle Fly and Track of the Wolf.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=2&subID=37&styleID=120&as=1

Has anyone loaded slugs in 12ga. brass shells?

It is an interesting question, and I would like to pursue it. Just want to know if is something that is doable before I put a lot of cash into this project. I hope someone out there in the SASS world has some information or experience. Thanks, Castalia

I don't have a link handy, but google "cast bullet forum" there are a couple at least, nd some are devotees of casting slugs for shotguns. SOMEBODY must have done exactly what yer thinking of. I KNOW I have seen round nosed (hollow based) slugs in brass cases that look for all the world like giant rifle bullets. I just don't remember where.

Hi, I have the Lyman shotshell reloading manual, 4th edition and nowhere in that book are brass shotshells discussed. Do you have a different edition?

I am quite reluctant to deviate from a published load for shotshell, because I have had some spooky results in the past when I just swapped components in recipies.

Spooky things like "after burn" in ejected shells just from switching primers. Squibs and overly loud sounding shots in brass shotshells from what I could not tell. Scary stuff to me. So... I don't just change components.

Hi, I have the Lyman shotshell reloading manual, 4th edition and nowhere in that book are brass shotshells discussed. Do you have a different edition?

I am quite reluctant to deviate from a published load for shotshell, because I have had some spooky results in the past when I just swapped components in recipies.

Spooky things like "after burn" in ejected shells just from switching primers. Squibs and overly loud sounding shots in brass shotshells from what I could not tell. Scary stuff to me. So... I don't just change components.

Ment to say there is normal reloading data for plastic shells. Castalia

I don't have a link handy, but google "cast bullet forum" there are a couple at least, nd some are devotees of casting slugs for shotguns. SOMEBODY must have done exactly what yer thinking of. I KNOW I have seen round nosed (hollow based) slugs in brass cases that look for all the world like giant rifle bullets. I just don't remember where.

Went to Reloaders Guide and Cast Boolit forums. The general concensus is to follow slug loads for plastic shells using the data and switching to 11 guage wad column. Just might try a couple and tie the old shotgun to a tire and fire with a string from 100 feet away. Then check the fired shell for over pressure signs? Good luck, Castalia

Archived