SASS Wire Forum

Spanish American War Shoot

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

In many ways, you could say that the Spanish American War was one of the last major "events" of the Cowboy Era.

Given that reality, how about a kind of a sidematch using the weapons of the type that would have been used in this conflict? In other words, a typical 10-10-5 match, but using some "specialty" weapons.

Pistols would be any revolver that was used by soldiers on either side, if possible, using the same caliber and barrel length. Any single or double action revolvers that were used would be okay, regardles if they were front line or supplemental weapons.

Rifles would also one used by both sides. Things like the Winchester Lee rifle, US Krag, Winchester 95 and Mausers would be okay. (assume "enemy" weapons were captured prizes.)

Instead of a shotgun, a trapdoor springfield would be used.

To make it intersting, use only one pistol, requiring a full on the clock reload. Obviously, the same holds true for the rifles since most would only hold 5 rounds anyway.

No special costume requirements, and some flexibility in weapons, such as caliber, barell length, civilian or military configuration, etc.

Any takers?

With the exception of double action revolvers and, of course, the 45 acp Colt, the Wild Bunch era and the Span AmWar time frame are about the same for our purposes. Why not just do a Wild Bunch type shoot and include double action revolvers? The 1893/1897 shotgun was available in both eras but, for our purposes, Lees, Mausers, 1895's, etc. couldn't be used for safety purposes unless the targets are put 50 to 100 yds away. In fact, Trapdoors were the main US weapon, shooting black powder rounds while the Spanish used smokeless rounds in their Mauser repeaters.

The movie to copy from could be "The Professionals", which had double action revolvers and, as the era was correct, could include 45 acps, Springfield '03s as well as SAA's lever guns, pump shotguns and, even, bows and arrows.

With the exception of double action revolvers and, of course, the 45 acp Colt, the Wild Bunch era and the Span AmWar time frame are about the same for our purposes. Why not just do a Wild Bunch type shoot and include double action revolvers? The 1893/1897 shotgun was available in both eras but, for our purposes, Lees, Mausers, 1895's, etc. couldn't be used for safety purposes unless the targets are put 50 to 100 yds away. In fact, Trapdoors were the main US weapon, shooting black powder rounds while the Spanish used smokeless rounds in their Mauser repeaters.

The movie to copy from could be "The Professionals", which had double action revolvers and, as the era was correct, could include 45 acps, Springfield '03s as well as SAA's lever guns, pump shotguns and, even, bows and arrows.

Well, I have been to several Wild Bunch matches that use wide open rules were ANY weapons that existed prior to 1918 were allowed, and Enfields, Springfields, Mausers and the like all show up at them pretty regualry. Granted, the shooters know to "download" their rifle loads, and the targets are a little farther away than normal, but not out at 50 yards.

The reasons I said Spanish American War were as follows: 1. Only a handful of specific guns would be used, rather than a more wide open format. 2. It's still "of the era" we play in. 3. Just looking for something different.

I am busy rebuilding a Win Model 1894 made in 1907 and used by a Mexican officer in 1912-1914 around Zacatecas in the Mex Revolution. Studying this decade of revolution has taught me that vaqueros, juaristos, juaristias and guerillas fought each other as they had fought Native Americans and gringos throughout the 19-the century. Mexican copies of Win '73s and surplus arms left over from the American War of Southern Independence were used beside Maxim, Lewis and Browning machine guns. Horses were used as well as aircraft and automobiles.

Many cowboys from above the border worked as mercenaries and guards of American interests in Mexico, especially mining operations.

The problem with the Span-Am war is that it is just a small part of wars fought from 1896 to 1910 as they US fought in Cuba, Philipines, Guam, Samoa, Puerto Rico and China. The number of small arms used by our miltary in those years is very broad.

In many ways, you could say that the Spanish American War was one of the last major "events" of the Cowboy Era.

Given that reality, how about a kind of a sidematch using the weapons of the type that would have been used in this conflict? In other words, a typical 10-10-5 match, but using some "specialty" weapons.

Pistols would be any revolver that was used by soldiers on either side, if possible, using the same caliber and barrel length. Any single or double action revolvers that were used would be okay, regardles if they were front line or supplemental weapons.

Rifles would also one used by both sides. Things like the Winchester Lee rifle, US Krag, Winchester 95 and Mausers would be okay. (assume "enemy" weapons were captured prizes.)

To make it intersting, use only one pistol, requiring a full on the clock reload. Obviously, the same holds true for the rifles since most would only hold 5 rounds anyway.

No special costume requirements, and some flexibility in weapons, such as caliber, barell length, civilian or military configuration, etc.

Any takers?

I am in! :) Let's just not call it WB. WB is a well defined game that needs to be left to it's own. Saddle up, I'll play! ;)

Nope. Just don't see it ever taking off. I would play as I have two ersatz Krag carbines. But WBAS itself is in danger of not becoming viable, especially around here. But as a side match it would be fun to un-limber the Krags and pencil barrel Smiths. 50 yards would have to be a minimum for the bolt rifles even with down-loaded lead loads. Any closer than 50, why bother with a bolt gun. That would be half the fun if you ask me, having quite a bit longer range for the rifle. For, after all, that is the purpose of the rifle -- the projection of power over a distance. That is the main thing I hate about regular CAS these days -- the rifle targets have crept in WAY too close!

Any takers?

You've got so many ideas on how to do things that ain't being done by SASS...why not take your ideas and start your own new organization?

:FlagAm:

HK, your suggestion if it took hold would be LOVED by the many gun vendors ... more different firearms that can be purchased by SASS members that don't have these types in their safe.

So, you may just want to wait until the Wild Bunch firearms sales dries up and then bring it up again so the vendors can sell more firearms, dies, brass, powder and bullets for those that don't cast

Then more posts will come to the Wire ... 'PM me with a light load for a 30-40 Krag,etc!'

Archived