SASS Wire Forum

What I Cannot Write About

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

I get a lot of great email from a lot of very thoughtful patriots all around this great country of ours as well as questions at matches I attend. I welcome them all and try to answer each and every one.

There’s one comment however I’ll never be able to comply with in my Chronicle column and that’s current events in anything close to a timely manner.

Given the host of political shenanigans we hear about daily, I’ve gotten an increased number of requests asking that I write about some particular event that just occurred.

Well, the issue is certainly not one of lacking subject matter. In fact, I’m face with a target rich environment when talking about political shenanigans!! The issue is one of timing. I thought I’d post a general note here in answer to many who have asked or wanted to ask similar questions or had similar comments.

When your column is published monthly and the text must be submitted 2 months in advance, anything that happens today is by definition months old by the time you all read about it. By then it’s either ancient news or has been talked to death and people are sick of hearing about it.

I understand and accept these limitations. In fact, I feel honored to write for the official SASS publication and the great folks that make up this SASS gang of ours! Therefore, I’ve always tried to focus on political philosophy as it relates to our founding and upon patriotic dedication to the ideals and values that our Founders held dear. If I can relate that to the general on-going behavior of todays political establishment, so much the better but it’s impossible to publish anything tomorrow that just happened today.

In closing, I want to thank you all for the wonderful support shown me and the kind words you’ve all sent my way over the years. You do me far more honor than I deserve.

Soldier on….

Hey Dan

Submit an article next month about Thanksgiving. That way when the November Cronical arrives, it will be timely. :D

Just kiddin', you articles are always thoughtful, well written and timely. Thank you for taking the time and effort.

See ya tommorrow at Eustis.

Sun

Similar to some of the silly arguments I have read on various political blogsites over the years. Both liberals and conservatives love to crow whenever one of their talking heads writes a new book and it's on the bestseller list, as if that substantiates their political position as being correct. What they refuse to admit is most of the political commentary books being written deal with current events, and six months later the books are no longer relevant.

You are wise beyond your years, Colonel.

Thank you for your wisdom and expressing thoughts that seem to be shared among the majority of cowboys.

I think that your articles are very timely. Stupid, arogant, greedy, unwise and liberal are the same everyday. Though the actual events may change, our country is affected by people and groups pushing these distructive values.

Thank you all for the kinds words. I very much appreciate your support.

Apparently a number local cowboys read my post as several came up to me at the Eustis match today with "serious" suggestions about what events from the past week I should write about...of course they found it impossible to keep a straight face! :lol: I shoot with a lot of folks with a great sense of humor!!! I love it.

Soldier on my friends...

Archived