SASS Wire Forum

Need help with reloads

Painted Cowboy

Hi pards.. I have a ton of titegroup..i know theres other powder that might be better options,but id like to use this up.I was wondering if some of you can pm me some of your recipes..I've been using 105 and 125 grain bullets..how low can I go with the powder drop..I'm in the cowboy range but titegroup has a good little kick.. Trying to be a gamer haha..thanks

You can go right down to the minimum listed by the powder maker ...........

Forum rules state that we can NOT post "loads".

Go to the powder makers site and follow that.

IMHO, start in the middle of the powder amounts given for TG.

There are much better powders out there than TG :mellow:

I use Unique for ALL of my SASS ammo. ;)

Respectfully,

LG

Well, I kinda like Titegroup for some loads. It meters well, and is an accurate powder. It's a little loud, and gives a sharp recoil, but if that is what you got, use it.

It is not a powder that behaves really well at the minimum load level - leaves some unburned powder behind. So, as LG pointed out, you might want to start in the mid range of what Hodgdon recommends - that will work pretty well.

(I really like it in .45 colt rifle loads - there the recoil and report don't matter, and the sharp pressure rise makes the case expand and seal the chamber well).

Find Hodgdons on-line loading data at:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Good luck, GJ

Oh, next time you ask for help with a load, you gotta tell us at least the chambering you are loading for. I assume you are talking about .38 special, based on the bullet weights.

Before you race to the bottom of the loading charts, experiment a little.

Load some rounds from the mid range on down and then run them against the timer and see what works best for you.

You may find that the bottom of the chart is not where you want to be.

Doc Shapiro has a really good article on tactile vs aural response.

My times have picked up since I bumped my loads.

Thanks for the response so far..I'm using .38's.. More to the point how far under 3.0 can I go ..thanks again

Here's one answer that is more to the point, then:

The folks who manufacture the powder do a lot of testing. When they publish a low-end weight in their loading data, that is usually because they don't find that loading results are very satisfactory below that point. Could be that the load at the bottom end was getting to where it didn't work well - unburned powder, squibby, inconsistent velocity, would not stabilize the bullet, does not remain consistent at low (or even high) temperatures. When they cut off at the high end, sometimes it is due to recorded pressure on their pressure barrel. Sometimes, it's some of the other classic signs of high pressure. Sometimes it's that the bullet starts leading or skidding in the barrel. Or hard extraction.

The gist of all this - there's usually a reason for the powder weight ranges they publish. When I've tried going outside the range, I usually am not happy with the results. On one or two loads and powders, I AM satisfied with results off the lower end of the book. But, I've a few years of loading experience (make that about 46 right now) that help me spot a load that just isn't right. And, as Creeker has mentioned, the lowest possible velocity from a given powder is not usually the most competitive spot for most folks. And, it will depend upon your guns, too. Sometimes you may find a buddy's load that works fine in his guns, won't work in yours - it sticks squibs in the barrel of one revolver, or even in the rifle.

After you have fired about 10,000 rounds of a good performing load, you will have a good idea where you want to go from there.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the response so far..I'm using .38's.. More to the point how far under 3.0 can I go ..thanks again

Don't, yer already below the published minimum. As GJ stated Tightgroup has a louder report and more recoil, going below the minimum will result in unburnt powder. The minimum published in Hodgdon's Cowboy Action PDF is a tried and true load used by many, it's the first load I started with, I've since changed to Red Dot. If you want less recoil I suggest you change powder....Trailboss....Clays....Red Dot....American Select..etc..Trying to go to low with Tightgroup for the sake of gaming ain't worth it. Like Creeker stated, there is a point of diminished returns when trying to go to low. The Cowboy Action Data starts on page 30 of the Hodgdon PDF, Good Luck :)

Hodgdon PDF Manual

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

DO NOT GO BELOW THE LIGHTEST LOAD SHOWN, EVER! :rolleyes: READ da'chart........

I would bump up 1/2 grn from the lowest, and use a VERY FIRM crimp for a good burn.

TG don't do well "lite" or in the cold(winter)with light charges.

That is just a couple of the many reasons why I don't like TG ;)

Respectfully,

LG

I could not get reliable results (even a couple squibs) using near minimum of TiteGroup. My powder measure didn't like it at lower levels. TiteGroup takes so little space that you cannot use less than the recommended loads - if your system will even allow that!

Good powder, but a little loud and seems to have a sharper recoil. So it worked very well in my rifle with loads a couple 1/10's above the minimum load.

Trying to be a gamer haha..thanks

Cowboy, let's start from scratch:

* What bullet weight are you using now and what is the fps of that round?

* For the 105 and 125 gr bullets - what velocity do you want them to be ... to be a gamer?

* How long have you been reloading and how many reference books do you have? If none, may want to look up the loading data on the Hodgdon website

Guest diablo slim shootist

I suggest you buy 1lb cans of powder from now on Cowboy!

It will take you forever and a day to burn up a ton(2000lbs)

of that nasty Tightgroup.Best bet would be to send 1000lb to

Diablo Slim

C/O Texas Ten Horns

Greenville Texas

I will personally distribute a few pounds to the members and

we will try to get it shot up for you -so you can go buy some Clays

powder (thats what real gamers use anyway) ;):lol:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I really don't care for Tite Group for our SASS loads.

A ton of Tite Group? How much space does that take up? It would fill my whole loading room.

Maybe you can sell it off.

MG

I personally love Tite Group. I found that Clays leaves unburnt flakes in the gun. I've been using Tite Group for all my pistol rounds for the past 6 years. 38 special, 9mm and 45 acp. While I don't buy it by the ton, I do buy it by the 4 pound can. I've not found it to be position sensitive and I've never had a squib with it. And yes, I load sightly below the minimum recommended amount on the gamer model 38 specials. Not much but a little.

TG is just a re-invent of the "wheel" :rolleyes:

Doesn't do anything better that many other powders do and had been doing for many years, in most cases TG doesn't do as well.

I'll stick with Unique for SASS(.32 S&W, .38, .44, 12ga. & "lite".45-70) ;)

PLUS, In my over 45+ yrs of reloading, one thing I learned right off--I don't EVER load "under" what the books say is the min. load. That's just looking for trouble.......And that trouble WILL find you, sooner or later.

Respectfully,

LG

Thanks you everybody for the great response..I have been experimenting with it for a while..and want to be safe as well..the powder is great it just has a little more bite than I'm looking for I think..maybe I'll just use it for the rifle... thanks again pards

Archived