SASS Wire Forum

Leg of Lamb or what do you like for sunday roast beast?

Doc Windshadow

It has been far too long since I have cooked myself a sweet bone in leg of spring lamb.... Humm its almost spring in New Zealand The problem I live alone and a full leg... lets see the is one super fine Sunday Dinner with roast potatoes and carrots and parsnips all cooked in the wine under the convection roasting lamb to make perfect juices for the sauce (corrected just before severing with red current jelly ) then 4 or 5 days of lamb sandwiches and then the last chunked up and a curry made of the left over gravy..... served on the next sunday ofer a bed of steamed rice with Harvard beets

Yes a Week of lamb.... sounds just the thing And I love the crispy bits from the outside skin and the diamond pattern scoring makes for lots of crispy bits I cook it the same way my mother did.

I was taught to cut cloves of garlic in 2 and slide them in next to any accessible bones and then cut some shallow pockets under the skin and slide more of the 1/2 cloves in there. lightly score the fat in a diamond pattern then dust with lemon pepper and lots of crushed rosemary and thyme and sage seal any exposed red meat with a light coating of dijon mustard.

in the pan underneath along with the root veg and wine some beef broth makes a nice basting juice before the fat collects on top of the juice when it does baste with that to insure sweet crispy bitts skim off the fat before you use said juices to make your pan gravy... be sure to deglaze the all the nice brown stuff from the pan as well they add a lot of good taste to the sauce. preheat one to 450 and then reduce to 325 when you put the meat in bast every 15 to 20 min and cook to desired doneness (I like it pink not grey) :) :) :)

Yur makin' me HUNGRY . . . ain't had lamb for ages. When I lived in San Diego back in the mid 70s thru early '80s there would be sales on leg of lamb once in a while. Every suppermarket having the same sale. I figured a ship load of lamb must have just come in from New Zealand. Anyhoooo.... I'd have lamb. In the summer I'd pre cook, dice it up, marinate it, and then do a Shis-Ke-Bob BBQ . . . yummy stuff :)

Leg trimmed, boned, and tied. Marinate for a day or two in a mix of red wine, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, rosemary, salt, pepper, lots of crushed garlic, and sliced onions. Remove from marinade, dry, apply salt and pepper, sear off in pan. Add some of the marinade, and some heads of garlic, various root vegetables to your taste, roast in a 350 oven to an internal temp of 125. Let rest. Skim fat from pan, deglaze, strain juices.

Boneless leg of Lamb, sprinkled with Rosemary and garlic seasoning. Couple hours in a George Foreman rotisserie until medium rare. As Homer Simpson would say, MMMMMMMMM Lamb.

that sounds good Joe all but the boned part I like bone in roasts to me the jus fast better than the boneless sort... plus I get to show off my skills with the carving knife :rolleyes:

It is a trade off. Bone in is juicier and has a bit better flavor. Boned and rolled cooks more evenly and is easier to slice. Plus, you can lay it out, sprinkle garlic and other goodies inside, roll and tie it.

Howdy

As a sheep herder good to see lambs /sheep meat used kinda suppriseing to see quite a few fans ..

asked on a USA farming forum years ago seemed alot got put off lamb and mutton during the war years / some also said the smell when cooking .. intresting think people from the USA that have stayed here and we cooked a roast can't belive they are eating the same meat as they tryed in the states .... after WW2 thats also around the time the USA flock dropped from 60 millon sheep to around 6 millon GI's sick of eating mutton and also i guess a drop in workforse

other thing was hard to get in some areas or could not get local lamb

the good old sunday roast in a lot of ways is becoming a thing of the past i can recall going to my gran's on sundays for lunch big roast roasted root vegies new peas etc etc

any hows this years legs of lamb on our place don't start being born for another 2 weeks by the time any of ours would suit the USA market around about feb/march most would have gone already to finshers or into euro market ( bit smaller lamb than USA market )

any how back to the question sunday roast tends to be lamb or chicken we tend to eat alot of lamb/mutton butcher it ourselfs

catch ya

JD

When I was young, till about age 7 or so, we had mutton stew quite a lot as it was very cheap a neighbor had sheep for wool production and Dad would get older beasts for exchange access to grazing... I think the last time I had Mutton was on a visit to Wales 10 years ago... I can't recall the last time I saw it in a market

before the early 1950s lots of small farms in our part of New England kept small flocks of sheep/goats and esp pigs of course during the war when meat was rationed of course but by the 80s most all of them were gone the only active Farm in the town I grew up in raises Arabian show horses but when I was boy they had every sort of farm animal including big plow horses as well as a small veg field... sad to see it all go... I bet a lot of city kids today would be amazed to find out where milk and eggs really come from!

When I was growing we didn't have a Sunday Supper. Sunday was "scrounge through the fridge and clean up the leftovers" day so mom didn't have to cook. Monday was the day for the roast.

I don't think I had lamb, mutton, or goat until I was in my 20s. Mostly because it just wasn't in the stores except around Easter.

Another interesting thing is that if you browse through older cookbooks - before WWII - you find that people leaned more toward mutton than lamb. Lamb was too bland, it seems. I like all three, lamb, mutton, and goat now.

I can take or leave lamb or mutton....mostly leave :blush: Tomorrow I am putting a real nice pork shoulder roast on the rotis on the BBQ. I smoked it in my smoker today for about 4 hours to give it a little applewood flavor, take about 3 hours to finish it. Garreeenteed it will be finger lickin good :rolleyes:

It has been far too long since I have cooked myself a sweet bone in leg of spring lamb.... Humm its almost spring in New Zealand The problem I live alone and a full leg... lets see the is one super fine Sunday Dinner with roast potatoes and carrots and parsnips all cooked in the wine under the convection roasting lamb to make perfect juices for the sauce (corrected just before severing with red current jelly ) then 4 or 5 days of lamb sandwiches and then the last chunked up and a curry made of the left over gravy..... served on the next sunday ofer a bed of steamed rice with Harvard beets

Yes a Week of lamb.... sounds just the thing And I love the crispy bits from the outside skin and the diamond pattern scoring makes for lots of crispy bits I cook it the same way my mother did.

I was taught to cut cloves of garlic in 2 and slide them in next to any accessible bones and then cut some shallow pockets under the skin and slide more of the 1/2 cloves in there. lightly score the fat in a diamond pattern then dust with lemon pepper and lots of crushed rosemary and thyme and sage seal any exposed red meat with a light coating of dijon mustard.

in the pan underneath along with the root veg and wine some beef broth makes a nice basting juice before the fat collects on top of the juice when it does baste with that to insure sweet crispy bitts skim off the fat before you use said juices to make your pan gravy... be sure to deglaze the all the nice brown stuff from the pan as well they add a lot of good taste to the sauce. preheat one to 450 and then reduce to 325 when you put the meat in bast every 15 to 20 min and cook to desired doneness (I like it pink not grey) :) :) :)

I love gyros.. lamb and beef mixed together with the cucumber sauce thing.. lol... But lamb.. well my dad was a cattle rancher.. we did do dairy and raised horses to ride, . but beef was what was for dinner.. lol.. So I eat a lot of beef. But we also raised chickens, hogs. and rabbits... yeah.. rabbits.. I am not partial to venison.. but I do love elk.. I eat most things but not bear so much or duck because of the grease, or deer and goat due to the wild taste. Not so bad.. garlic all by itself is good.. lol.. thanks for the recipe..

someday I will have a smoker, a garden..and the time to prepare the best meals ... ... for now.. I fear I have little time.. but lots of dreams.. Dreams are what make all of us smile are they not? loll

That sounds like a mighty fine meal...

When the Daughter was about 8 I told her now that she is getting grown up she needed to pick some sort of after school activity.

I told her she could pick anything she wanted but she had to pick something...well she took a good look at girl scouts,sports and dance and surprised the hell out me when she told me she wanted to do 4-H ...

At 8 years old the the only animals she could raise was chickens or rabbits ...

Well she wanted to breed rabbits I told her OK but she could not breed animals without breeding them for a purpose so she agreed and picked Black New Zealand meat rabbits....

By the time she was 11 or 12 she she had a herd of 60 and was the #1 youth breeder of black New Zealand's in the country....

As soon as she was old enough she wanted to raise lambs ...

From raising meat rabbits she developed a hell of an eye for picking out good stock...She raised 30 lambs during her 4-H & FFA career...a cupple of grand champions at fair and a reserve champion at the grand nationals at Cow Palace ..

Your Hamps & Suffolk and the Suffolk crossbreeds are good lambs..but IMHO the best tasting lamb is a well raised Southdown.

I think I will pick up a leg tomorrow and do it up Sunday proper....

Thank You for the recipe and Thank You for bringing up the lambs ....The Daughter & I spent ALOT of quality time together raising her lambs & rabbits :)

The Daughter & one of her champs.... http://www.enzion.com/testimonials-about-enzion-sheep-products

OH dear :blink: I see I forgot one of the important things that will be auto braised/roasted in the liquid under the pan

Shallots you can use onions of course but a handful of Shallots (peeled of the dry layers of course) will be very popular with folks; try to have 3 or 4 byte sized for each diner guest also one parsnip one carrot and 2 chunks of Yukon gold potato is the minimum count per person when deciding how many of each to put in the pan.

And I see I forgot to mention the age old question of mint sauce of mint jelly I tend to provide both to be safe and if you do not want to make your own Cross & Blackwell make good serviceable versions of both http://www.crosseandblackwell.com/products/Product.aspx?productgroupid=253

and most larger US supermarkets will sell them and their red current jelly is what I use to corwct the sweetness of my sauces and gravies

Mint sauce is easy to make with fresh mint leaves and malt vinegar add a bit of salt and sugar to taste after adding the finely chopped mint to the vinegar and blend stick in the microwave for a a min or two and than adjust with the sugar I use an equal volume of mint and vinegar to start say a 1/2 cup each and then dilute with extra vinegar to taste after heating and cooling be aware the mint flavor will strengthen in the fridge for the first few days after you make it,

My dad was the one who was always put in charge of roasting the leg of lamb for Sunday. Lamb was always considered "special" and Dad had a way of fixing it that was absolutely amazing. I'm not sure of his recipe, but I know he used a lot of garlic in his rub. I still remember the big platter with the leg of lamb on it on a bed of mint leaves, surrounded by oven-browned potatoes and mint jelly.

Nowadays, it's usually a beef roast or roast chicken for Sunday. I'm partial to a slow-cooked beef roast...and I always like it with a good, strong horseradish, usually Tule Lake brand or Beaver brand. Don't care much for horseradish sauce, just plain, old-fashioned, ground up, horseradish. Boy! That'll clear out your sinuses. (I used to grow my own horseradish in our herb garden by the kitchen door, but it got too invasive. I thought I was just "thinning it out," but I guess I must've gotten all of it, because it never came back. :angry: )

And I see I forgot to mention the age old question of mint sauce of mint jelly I tend to provide both to be safe and if you do not want to make your own Cross & Blackwell make good serviceable versions of both http://www.crosseandblackwell.com/products/Product.aspx?productgroupid=253

and most larger US supermarkets will sell them and their red current jelly is what I use to corwct the sweetness of my sauces and gravies

Mint sauce is easy to make with fresh mint leaves and malt vinegar add a bit of salt and sugar to taste after adding the finely chopped mint to the vinegar and blend stick in the microwave for a a min or two and than adjust with the sugar I use an equal volume of mint and vinegar to start say a 1/2 cup each and then dilute with extra vinegar to taste after heating and cooling be aware the mint flavor will strengthen in the fridge for the first few days after you make it,

Mint JELLY, that is apple jelly with a touch of mint and horrid green coloring, is an abomination. As you point out a well made mint SAUCE can be a sublime perfection. I tent towards a strong cider vinegar rather than malt, but the idea is the same. And mint sauce is great on potatoes, green beans, as a salad dressing, as a sauce on pork, chicken, or turkey.

a good, strong horseradish, usually Tule Lake brand or Beaver brand. Don't care much for horseradish sauce, just plain, old-fashioned, ground up, horseradish. Boy! That'll clear out your sinuses. (I used to grow my own horseradish in our herb garden by the kitchen door, but it got too invasive. I thought I was just "thinning it out," but I guess I must've gotten all of it, because it never came back. :angry: )

At a brunch one time, at the carving station, I thought the horseradish was a creamy sauce, you know, the kind of thin stuff that is 99% sauce and 1% horseradish, the kind that if you think about it you might taste the horseradish. So I piled it on. Well...as you may have guessed by now...this was grated and processed horse radish with just a little heavy cream and salt added. Just enough cream to let it be processed to a smooth white sauce. As you say, clears out the sinuses. Tear ducts too.

At this very moment I have two skillets going. One is full of sliced taters, peppers, onions and mushrooms in bacon grease. The other is loaded down with venison tenderloin marjinated in a red wine vinegette. Cucumber salad on the side. The dressing on the cucumbers is mayo, a bit of cider vinager, sugar and diced onions. My better half made it very clear that there had better be some left for her when she gets home from work!

Mint JELLY, that is apple jelly with a touch of mint and horrid green coloring, is an abomination. As you point out a well made mint SAUCE can be a sublime perfection. I tent towards a strong cider vinegar rather than malt, but the idea is the same. And mint sauce is great on potatoes, green beans, as a salad dressing, as a sauce on pork, chicken, or turkey.

Well That is why I said I provide both as in the USA mint sauce is not as well known or popular... I make my own Mint Suce and far prefer it but some folks do not like vinegar ( I like Malt vinegar on my french fries too but again that is a rare application in the US) Mint sauce is also nice on venison :)

I have been doing the boneless LoL (no Deja, not laugh out loud) in a Greek marinade. I then tie it up and skewer it for a rotissarie spin for gyro sandwiches when we have a crowd over. Differnt and fun for an outside gathering. Besides, any reason to eat kalamata olives is a good reason.

Hi Windy,

It has been years since I've had young spring leg of lamb. My brother's first wife's parents would give them one every spring. YUMMY!

Every time I mention lamb to hubby, he :rolleyes: and looks like he's going to ...

About "bone in" or no bone. "Bone in" rules!

Thanks for your post pard, I might just venture out of my comfort zone with some lamb chops with rosemary and garlic. Hubby loves my rosemary potatoes, so that sounds like a good idea for cooking lamb. Not sure if I want to eat a whole leg if he refuses to eat it.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I have been doing the boneless LoL (no Deja, not laugh out loud) in a Greek marinade. I then tie it up and skewer it for a rotissarie spin for gyro sandwiches when we have a crowd over. Differnt and fun for an outside gathering. Besides, any reason to eat kalamata olives is a good reason.

Reason? :blink: Why would you need a reason?

I just noticed that rib lamb chops (from OZ btw not New Zealand) have hit $18 a pound in my local supermarket :wacko:

and then I saw this news item from another place that does a lot of sheep raising I was wondering if any Sheep men or indeed anyone raising a meat anima;l that chat with us here on the wire are seeing in increase in rustling

BBC News UK:,

MID WALES

23 August 2011 Last updated at 08:13 ET

Sheep rustling increases as price of lamb hits new high

Farmers are being urged to be vigilant after sheep rustling incidents across the UK almost doubled in six months.

The Farmers Union of Wales (FUW) says rustling has "escalated significantly in recent years".

It has joined forces with the National Farmers Union (NFU) Cymru and others to launch Farm Watch to cut crime.

According to NFU Mutual, the insurance wing of the National Farmers' Union, 32,926 sheep have been stolen from farms across Britain since January.

The surge in sheep thefts has been blamed on the high price of lamb.

A total of 38,095 sheep were stolen in Britain throughout 2010, but that could be higher, as a third of farmers are not represented by the company.

According to the National Sheep Association, sheep now sell for an average of £75 each, more than double the price three years ago. Prize breeds can sell at auction for thousands of pounds.

The price of minced lamb has risen by almost 30% since 2008, from £6.59 to £8.50 per kilogram.

The FUW, NFU Cymru, Dyfed-Powys Police, and Ceredigion council are involved in Farm Watch, which aims to improve communication between farmers and police.

Adrian Evans of the FUW in Ceredigion said: "Many of our members have suffered major losses as a result [of rustling].

Value of livestock

"Although we don't have any specific figures for Wales, we know via insurance claims made through the FUW that sheep rustling has become more extensive across Wales."

He added that the problem was mostly driven by "the increase in the value of livestock".

NFU Cymru warned livestock farmers to be on their guard for sheep rustlers.

Aberystwyth group secretary Rhys Davies said: "It is deeply worrying for livestock farmers that this type of activity is starting to form an upward trend.

"We now have a significant number of sheep thefts that have occurred throughout the county.

"Sheep rustling and farm theft is a serious criminal activity which costs farmer's dearly, both in terms of direct losses and its knock-on effect on raised insurance premiums."

Dyfed-Powys Police neighbourhood policing team officer constable Hefin Jones said: "These are serious offences which can have a significant impact on the livelihood of the victims and the rural community at large."

He added that police officers will be stepping up patrols in the area and making vehicle stops in a bid to provide reassurance to farmers.

Archived