SASS Wire Forum

Priming epiphany

I use a dowel that fits inside the shell and about 1/2 longer than the case. I start the primer by hand then put the shell horizonally in my work vise with the dowel inside and give it a gentle crank. Seats the primer, doesn't mar the case mouth and ..so far...no unwanted booms. We won't discuss 1970s shag carpet, spilled primers and vaccuum cleaners though... :lol:

Mingo

Been there - Done that - got the tee shirt - sent the postcard - stole the ashtray

oh boy!

SC

Just another thread that proves some people have no business reloading.

Gunstock Smith

I wasn't trying to be smartass ( and I know how!). Even if that is the way that's "accepted" as right by some doesn't mean you should lose every lick of sense you ever had !! Remember, the lowly primer is the most dangerous reloading component we use. It can cause the loss of an eye or the use of a finger instantly. ANY method that uses a mallet or hammer to seat live primers is a method anyone who has any knowledge of reloading techniques will avoid like the plague. There have been several SAFE methods mentioned above. I suggest you adopt one of them and stay safe and healthy.

Gunstock

I know Lee made many of their old loading kits that use the hammer method. That doesn't mean that they're safe, just inexpensive. I have never condoned the method nor used it and never will. I have been volume reloading longer than some of you have been alive. It only costs a few dollars to do it one of the safe ways mentioned in this post. Is the sight in one of your eyes not worth $50????

Gunstock

Unfortunately, posting via forums doesn't allow for voice tones, facial expressions, etc. to come through. All of the above responses to my original post come through as "holier than thou", judgmental, and downright snarky, and make you sound like you know everything, and that anyone who doesn't do things exactly the way that you do is an idiot...

I don't know you, and you don't know me, and you may be a hell of a nice guy and just having a bad day for all I know, so I'll reserve judgment on your loading skill, etc., although you didn't hesitate to stomp my name into the dirt. Have a nice life, pard. Maybe I'll see ya some time and we can shoot on the same posse. Hope so...

Charlie, I apologize if I offended you. My point was ( and is) there are much safer ways to do the job without the risk of injury or property damage. I have been shooting competitively and hunting for over 50 years and reloading metallic cartridges and shotshells for about 40 of those years. In that time I've competed in trap, handgun silouette, combat pistol, long range black powder cartridge and cowboy action. Reloading is a serious business........much more so than some shooters realize. If not done safely, the person doing the loading ( and possibly others) can get hurt. Be safe and have fun!!

Gunstock

No offense taken particularly, I just mainly felt that your responses might have been a bit more tactful. But then again, anybody who says he's never posted a response to a thread that somebody somewhere thought was annoying or obnoxious is either a liar or ain't done nothin'. I'm sure I've been responsible for such shenanigans more than once, knowingly or not... :D

Have a good one, pard. See ya down the trail...

Archived