SASS Wire Forum

buying a gun?

Russ T. Sites

russ -

You may have just opened a bigger can of worms than you intended.

But here's my input anyway....

Buying from one of the online store fronts you may have to pay shipping and will still need to pay a FFL fee on your end. Sometimes they have prices that are hard to pass up given that they deal in a high volume.

However, buying at a local dealer, or having him order in what you want supports your local guy. You may pay a little more, but you also have a local go to guy next time you need something. That is a very good thing in my book.

If you are talking the auction sites, well, buyer beware, check out the previous buyer feedback.

I got involved in CAS back in May. I live in a very rural area so there are very few gun stores in this area & none had what I needed. If they had lever action rifles, they were in 357 or 44 (I wanted 45) & were priced way out of my range. I did find a used revolver in a pawn shop but that was luck - same shop had 3 side-by-side shotguns, all used, all rough, all priced over $400. I went to a couple of gun shops & talked to the guys there, told them what I wanted, they dug around on their wholesaler's sites & couldn't find anything that I wanted (or so they said). I wasn't going to wait on them to come up with something & charge me extra for it.

I was wary of buying from gunbroker, but found a local FFL that only charges $20 per transfer & is a really good guy. Using gunbroker, I got a set of 45 revolvers, a 45 rifle & a baikal coach gun, all at really good prices. The pistols I paid for with a money order sent by mail, the other guns I bought with a credit card. The process really does work well. Without gunbroker, I would still be trying to find my shootin irons. You can find exactly what you want at the price you are willing to pay.

I bought all 4 of them new in the box intentionally. I am wary of buying something used sight unseen, for the obvious reasons & would advise anyone to exercise caution with used stuff.

The key is finding the right FFL locally. They have a list on the site, I would suggest calling a couple of them & see how they prefer to do things. Find one you like & go from there.

I would say the safest place to buy stuff is on the SASS classifieds OR from one of the many FFL holders that frequent the Wire.

Put out what you want and I reckon you'll get some PMs.

Fillmore

Not sure what you mean by "on-line gun site". If you are buying new, then by all means buy from a gunsmith like Longhunter, Pioneer Gun Works, or some of the many others. You'll get a gun that is already slicked up and end up spending much less than if you would buy it then have it smithed. (Don't ask me how I know). If it's from an auction site, well then it depends on the seller, not the site. Good luck and have fun.

I've bought both locally and through Gunbroker. If my local dealer can't find what I'm looking for, then I check Gunbroker. The dealer only charges a $30 transfer fee so that part is reasonable. I've bought four guns through Gunbroker and haven't had any issues.

Take care & luck.

Russ,

Contact Bad Creek Kid of The Cowboy Outpost or call 419-875-5270. He lives in NW Ohio. He is a great pard to deal with. He may be able to help you in search of the firearm of your liking. His whole family are SASS members and are cowboy shooters. You can view his web site at www.thecowboyoutpost.com. He is an FFL dealer. Hope this helps.

I.M. Crossdraw

Be VERY careful of the discounters. A very popular one has terrific penalties for changing your order as originaly input, even if you want to spend MORE money. If you even mention changing your mind after you keyed the "checkout" button, they will burn you for %20 of the total, and they will get it because you agreed to that to get to the final checkout page.

Got one of my new vaqueros from Jett guns, no charge for shipping but $6 if I wanted it insured. Think the other came from Bud's with no shipping, both got here fast. No problems with transaction at all. Picked up a handi rifle from CDNN way cheap.

Most of my local gun stores seem to be totally into AKs or Gangsta Guns, not much selection of SASS types. Flamers, I know if I drive all over Phoenix area there are plenty of shops that have what I would like, but the closest is cabela's. I spend enough there on fly fishing and other gear, they are in no danger of going out of business. Same goes for sportsman's warehouse.

Having said that if there was a Small gun shop close that had what I was looking for and was not terribly over priced, would probably buy local for the same reason I go to ACE hardware.

Sometimes buy off the wire or gun broker, neither of which actually supports the local shop. My ffl shop charges $25. Which is free money for them as they do not even do a brady check. CCW says I am exempt.

I have bought several guns "online" both from stores, and from Gunbroker. I have not yet had a bad experience.

A few provisios...

1. The only guns I buy online are C&R Eligible (or antique) firearms, or ones that are for sale in my home state to being with. That way, I don't have to deal with a third party FFL. If they are in the state, I drive to the dealer and pick them up. If they are C&R, I have them shipped to my home. I should point out that I live in Massachusetts, and that this is often the ONLY way I can get certain firearms.

2. Caveat Emptor. With a few exceptions, you are purchasing guns this way that are at least 50 years old. You are always wise to send an e-mail to the seller or give them a phone call. Ask questions about the gun. If they can't answer, don't buy/bid.

3. Be prepared for the fact that you may have to have some minor work done to them.

So with that in mind, what exactly have I purchased online?

A pair of Mark VI Webley Revolvers (store)

An 1895 Russian Nagant (store)

NIB Unfired Colt Sherrif's model .44 Special/.44-40 (Gunbroker)

1887 Winchester shotgun (Gunbroker) (needs some minor smithwork)

S&W New Model 3 DA (Gunbroker) (needed to have the latching screw replaced)

A M24-47 Mauser rifle (Store)

Colt 1894 DA Army revolver (Gunbroker)

W.W. Greener Police Shotun (Store)

Colt "Alaskan" DA Revolver (Store)

As you can see, I don't shy away from the auction sites. But, I always read the descriptions carefully and as I said before, correspond with the seller before bidding.

If you want to know the names of the stores I bought the guns from, ask. I have nothing but good things to say about each of the vendors.

Buy from Phillip Reazac LLC and you won't have any problems, they are great people to deal with and honest as the day is long, plus they have great prices... Joel runs the shop for his Dad...

+1,+1,+1

That's the number of happy purchases from the Reazacs.

I have bought my guns from various sources.

Many localy

two on gunbroker

two on the wire classifieds.

Now that the State of WA has decided that my transfering FFL has to charge me a "use tax" based on the price of the gun I buy and have transfered in, I am sticking with local unless it is a screaming good deal.

I prefer to shop locally as I get to know the shop owners and want to do everything I can to support them. I am lucky that there are a couple really good gun shops around that always have something that I can add to the wish list.

I have never had any issues with any of the gund I bought or sold on gunbroker. The key there is to do your homework and make good solid contact with the seller.

Ask around the local match guys and you just might find a small FFL holder who custom orders just for the locals. Ours is a TG/gunsmith/ FFL and charges only a tiny bit over a price/source you find and is only a few percent higher when he finds the item for you. I find that in many cases his contacts canactually save me money over what I thought was a deal that I had found.

I have ordered several guns from Davidson's Gallery of Guns www.galleryofguns.com . Their prices have always been well below retail. You pay a deposit online with a credit card, then pick up the gun at a local FFL and pay him the balance. The FFLs that I have used through Davidson's seem happy to get the business, so they must make some profit off the deal. Davidson's also includes a lifetime warranty on every gun they sell, if it breaks, they replace it!

I like Davidson's for the lifetime warranty part,but they do charge a bit more than the other distributors I deal with.Most of my customers are looking for not only a good gun,but a ....how do I put this...."cheaper" price.Therefore I usually buy from other distributors if the gun is the same and available.I have bought quite a few guns off of Gun Broker and Auction Arms.Both good to buy off of.If they get a lot of complaints about either the buyers OR sellers they don't let them do business with them anymore.Actually,I've bought several off of the Wire too.One of the worst POS's I ever got was off of the Wire....not going to name names.

Archived