SASS Wire Forum

OT -- Question for those that own an HDTV

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

I have a VIZIO 37" and it's just great. In fact I think you saw it for a minute last time you were over here. With the HD box from Time Warner it's a great pic. The Westerns channel is not HD but it's nice and clear. VIZIO is the closest you'll get to an American TV. They're made in China, assembled in Cal. and the owner is a Korean-American. B) Rye

Will you all please stop talking about HD, LCD, LED, Plasma, with 55" screens.

I'm still waiting for a 6 year old 32" Panasonic TUBE! model to die so I can justify replacing it :angry:

Its gotten to the point I leave it plugged in during lightning storms and have taken it off the surge protector as well :lol:

Will agree with the advice to buy high quality cables, found that out with audio equipment long ago.

Will you all please stop talking about HD, LCD, LED, Plasma, with 55" screens.

I'm still waiting for a 6 year old 32" Panasonic TUBE! model to die so I can justify replacing it :angry:

Its gotten to the point I leave it plugged in during lightning storms and have taken it off the surge protector as well :lol:

Will agree with the advice to buy high quality cables, found that out with audio equipment long ago.

When I bought my LCD, I GAVE AWAY a perfectly good 32" TUBE TV. NEED has nothin to do with it.....

Cmon Jack you know me being a thrifty yankee I cant "justify" giving away a perfectly good TV. Thought I had it whipped a while ago until that 75 cent fuse from radio shack repaired it. Damn.

• 2 weeks later...

The Vizio in the 26 inch range has given me great service in my Travel Trailer. Go to C-Net and look at TVs for the true scoop.My 55inch Mitsubishi just blew it's 4Th projection bulb. It is what was called a DLP TV. The bulbs last about 14 months and cost $130-$250. I am buying one more so that I may sell it and then I am going to the LCD back lit Led TV. Best to do some research as we are at a in between time with the 120HZ and 240HZ sets also. The difference is in what length of time it takes to show movement. Some of the makers are saying that they have a 120 HZ set that performs like a 240 HZ TV. A testing editor from C-Net advised that even the best electronic tech can't tell the difference. The price is about $400 more. I will continue to watch the 120HZ.

Lots of personal choices here but I have been there and done that as most have.I did my research,done my homework,and probably used up a tank of gas,going from store to store and comparing.I ended up with a Samsung LED Flat Screen HD television.After about two years,I found I wanted a bigger television for the living room and went out and did it all over again.That is,I researched,studied and looked around to compare what was out there and guess what?I bought another Samsung.For what it is worth,there were some hard choices to make but in the end,Samsung one out for me.I have had no problems with either one of them.Now that I said that,excuse me while I go find a piece of wood to knock on.

Hey Pony,

Gotta agree with AJ. NEED has absolutely nothing to do with it. Except, there is a good chance you "need" a nice 32" in the shop for background stuff. Besides, if "need" is the operative, you have a perfectly suitable "reactive" target :P and we all like reactive targets :lol:

Oh, and if you read all the stuff out there, Plasma with a high refresh rate ROCKS. I like/have/prefer Panasonic.

Coffinmaker

If it was me I would go with either Sharp, Samsung, or Toshiba....

I have a good friend that had a bad experience twice in a row with Vizio...

I want the most for my $$,

BTW, LCD is a great choice, as is LED...

JJ(who has a 55" Toshiba)J-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

I am in the process of fixing my 55 inch Mistibishi DLP 1080P TV so that I may purchase a led TV. I always research C-Net for advise and from what I read there yesterday there are lots of false belief among the posters.

First the LCD TVs are back lit with LEDs and are one and the same.

Next they have a lot of TV makers that always throw out all the electronics mumbo jumbo knowing that it will impress you.The latest is the HZ factor. For many years all TVs were rated at 60HZ and now we have 120HZ and 240HZ. I had not the vaguest idea what is meant by HZ, so I looked it up. It is the ability of a video devise to show movement of any kind so that the screen will not show a blur. The TECH that was doing the test for C-NET explained it very well. The first thing is that a 240 HZ set will set you back about $400 more than a 120HZ.He then stated that not even the best trained tech can see the difference with the necked eye. Some makers are even putting on the tag that it is a 120HZ that works like a 240HZ.

They have a list of the current best buys but I will leave that up to you to decide. Later David

I purchased the 55" Samsung. Got an extended warranty through my VISA card. Something like $135 for 5 years, parts and labor. TV quit last year. Called Visa, 7 legal days later, they advised me to call any repair facility in the local phone book, pay for the repair with my VISA card, fax them the bill and they would send check. I did, TV guy came out, replaced power supply, Visa sent check. Costco has an extended warranty plan also and you don't have to purchase the TV from them. Most plans cover repairman coming to your home when the LED/LCD TV is bigger than 36"( I think )

Regarding HDMI, Google the official HDMI sight. According to them, if the cord has the HDMI logo, it meets the specs. I got mine off the internet; both work perfectly. Spend your money on the surge protector.

I purchased the 55" Samsung. Got an extended warranty through my VISA card. Something like $135 for 5 years, parts and labor. TV quit last year. Called Visa, 7 legal days later, they advised me to call any repair facility in the local phone book, pay for the repair with my VISA card, fax them the bill and they would send check. I did, TV guy came out, replaced power supply, Visa sent check. Costco has an extended warranty plan also and you don't have to purchase the TV from them. Most plans cover repairman coming to your home when the LED/LCD TV is bigger than 36"( I think )

Regarding HDMI, Google the official HDMI sight. According to them, if the cord has the HDMI logo, it meets the specs. I got mine from Amazon; both work perfectly. Spend your money on the surge protector.

Archived