SASS Wire Forum

The Last Rights Of Ransom Pride

Chief Rick

Anyone familiar with this movie?

Walking through WalMart today the cover caught my eye.

I first noticed Kris Kristofferson & Dwight Yoakam and thought - this might be ok...

Then I noticed Cote de Pablo (Ziva - NCIS :wub: ) and I had to buy it!

Will watch it tomorrow night.

We will want a critique!!

Watched it about a month ago..Bizzare kinda western, but I liked it, would probably watch it again..Reminded me of something Quentin Tarantino might come up with..

Be warned-Some strong language, and violence..Not the kind of movie ya want the kiddies to watch..

Bizzare kinda western

OK - so I watched it tonight...

You know - ever so often a movie comes along that just keeps you in your seat, glued to the screen.

This ain't it!

The cinematography, the way the movie flowed, made it a very difficult movie for me to watch. Also - the music just plain sucked!

There were way too many instances of what I call cut scenes - like flashbacks - or maybe premonitions. I couldn't tell.

The lead character - played by Lizzy Caplan - put in a very good performance in my opinion. Dwight Yoakam plays a lunatic, a drunken reverend with a shady past (very similar to his performance in Sling Blade IMO). The appearance of Kris Kristofferson really has minimal impact on the film except to fill in some history of Yoakam's character. W. Earl Brown (Deadwood) plays a killer - again, very few lines and very little action. Jason Priestley plays a lunitic (and actually does a pretty good job of it, too!). Jon Foster plays Yoakam's son, and the brother of the leading lady's boyfriend (who was killed and who this movies plot is centered around). He starts out a meekish and I have the idea that he is abused by his father. As the movie progresses it seems he becomes more like his brother (i.e. - outlawish, willing to use a gun) but not really a "bad" person.

The biggest let down (for me)... Cote de Pablo. She looks like a gypsy with a half-scarred face. Almost all of her scenes are in the dark or very dim light and she has minimal action/movement until the very end. Very few lines, considering the length of the movie.

A lot of people ride horses in the movie. But, there is also a car and a motorcycle with sidecar. Never saw either of those get refueled...

So, what are the positives? The lead character shows a Winchester '97 prominently in a scene. And one of the characters also has a 1911 early on.

I would not recommend this movie as a purchase... The plot develops too slowly and the music and cut scenes do nothing but detract from the overall experience.

I would look for the book. This could have been a much better production, especially with the level of talent used (or wasted in this case).

I hope it's better than the review above. It'll be in my mailbox tomorrow.

Showed up Saturday and me and Lorrie watched it last night.

I didn't think it was all that bad. My big quarrel is that the closed captions did not function and without them I have a very difficult time following dialog.

Lots of blood and guts but what else do you expect from a western?

Not a big fan of Yoakum. He did a re-make "South of Heaven, West of Hell" that was, how do we say.... AWFUL!!! I've seen a couple of other films with Yoakum and they weren't worth the rental price either. If this one is anything like those, well probly won't make it to this house. Kristoferson can do really good, and really terrible depending on script and director. He's a better songwriter than actor I think. He pairs good with Willie Nelson though. Tarentino films are not my thing either, too jumpy and disconnected. Hard to follow. Took me three tries to make it through "Pulp Fiction" and I never did finish "Resevoir Dogs" It stank so bad.

Oh well, I just like old-school movies where actors made the movie without all the extra hype an FX. I'm a dinosaur I reckon.

Bodine

Archived